Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:36 PM   #11

Musket,

Now I'm a bit confused. I posted all three pictures as attachments via the paperclip ikon and that limits the size of picture files - the file size must be no bigger than 253.9 KB and the maximum picture size allowed is 1024x1024.

Is that what has caused their resolution to be only 72 dpi?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:05 AM   #12

Herb, it's possible; Some shots depending on the scene can get away with 72dpi, but others can't

If you use an external host eg Dropbox you just put the url between the [img] [/img]tags to insert a photo into a msg

so you don't need a limit set on your file size/resolution

I'm viewing on a 27" Benq 1440p monitor so picture resolution shows up if it is low.

When it comes to inkjet printing you need a minimum of 600dpi for photos

Last edited by musket; Aug 3, 2016 at 2:28 AM. Reason: additional
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:05 PM   #13

All images are done at 72 dpi. All monitors exhibit the image at 72 dpi. If its a hi res image that means the 72 dpi image is like 45 x 68 inches. As you increase the dpi the overall size decreases. The higher the megapixel count of the camera the larger the image size is at 72 dpi. It means more detail when is brought down in size by increasing the dpi count. Not really as confusing as it sounds. So the 72 dpi count that Herbs images are, is correct. Now Herb your shadow area is good in the 3rd image. However, the highlight area has blown out in the cement walk outside the door. See your first image and the detail in the cement that is gone.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:48 AM   #14

@Bynx

Quote:
All images are done at 72 dpi. All monitors exhibit the image at 72 dpi.
Not so... http://www.vsellis.com/understanding...vs-web-images/

The higher the resolution of your monitor then low resolution images just look smaller
in size.

in fact the trend is to go up to 4K displays even on laptops in which case a lot of the photos displayed here will look like postage stamps lol

http://4k.com/laptop-desktop/

Last edited by musket; Aug 5, 2016 at 4:04 AM. Reason: additional
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:24 AM   #15

Default Blown highlight

Bynx,

Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed the blown highlight. I think there must be several reasons for it being noticeable. One is that when picture number 1 was taken, the sun wasn't shining - see the absence of any shadow from the shrub growing in the planter and the absence of any sunlit bits on the patterned rug on the inside of the room next to the window.

Another is that in all three pictures, what looks like extra bright concrete on the outside right next to the window isn't in fact concrete - it's a strip of near-white carpet. Also I suspect that shortly after after picture number 1 was taken, some of the details of the white carpet disappeared because my wife vacuumed it!
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote