Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:20 PM   #1

Default Photomatix for Linux

I use Mint 17.1, (64-bit) XFCE. Until now the only way to install Photomatix was to use Play on Linux. Even then, it didn't always work properly. My computer would often freeze.

But now HDRsoft have released some Linux versions -

http://hdrsoft.com/download/photomatix-linux.html

My first try was made from 3 different exposures (bracketed). It worked fine and I'm certainly going to buy it.

This is the final tonemapped result. There's a watermark because I haven't yet had time to pay for the program so it was processed with the trial version.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:46 PM   #2

Looks quite good to me, Herb.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:28 AM   #3
Administrator

Neat. I'm glad to see them releasing products for Linux, as we (my wife and I) use linux more than 99 percent of the time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:31 PM   #4

Trial version or not what you have is the final. When you pay your money you will receive a serial number which will prevent the watermark from appearing.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:55 PM   #5

Default A bit better than the previous one?

I've had another go with Photomatix for Linux - this time using the paid-for version and with my Nikon 8800, handheld and set at the maximum AE Bracket range of 5 shots (the previous one was from 3 shots).
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:38 AM   #6

A sweet image Herb. Not over the top like newbies often do. When doing images with the sky keep your eye on the sky and watch out for strange things. The glass panel on the right has changed the sky color or darkened it. Probably easily fixed in Photoshop. A longer shot would have helped bring out more detail in the left 25% of the image and a shorter shot would have fixed the blown highlights in the cement outside the door. But overall not bad. Between the two images the first one is better for the tonal range, while the second is best for its color range.

Last edited by Bynx; Jul 29, 2016 at 4:46 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:53 PM   #7

Bynx,

Very kind of you to say that.

PBase (q.v.) has a very large selection of HDR pictures that seem to me to be quite instructive. A lot of them seem (to me) to be surreal or simply rather overdone, but I guess it all depends on one's own preferences. I found some that very much appeal to me, e.g. this one -

http://www.pbase.com/stelin29/image/163384612
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:37 AM   #8

I think the first one looks the best. The problem with multi image HDR's is that all if there is movement between any or all of the images so that they would not overlay exactly, then the outcome of the processing would not be the best. If there is wind, movement or action in the shots that make up the HDR then they can't possibly overlay exactly.

And if you don't show a before and after then it would be hard for others to determine if it has been of any benefit.

Last edited by musket; Jul 31, 2016 at 2:58 AM. Reason: additional
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:32 PM   #9

Default Third try

Musket,

I'm not yet skilled enough to post two pictures side by side, but I've had a go at processing the 5-shot combo to look a bit more like the trial version that I posted at the beginning. -
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:01 AM   #10

Herb the resolution of your photos is only 72dpi... ie 72dpi vertical by 72dpi horizontal...

For sharpest and detailed photos the resolution should be 300dpi... (dots per inch)

I don't know what your camera resolution is and maybe that could a factor, but if the jpg from the camera saves at 300dpi no problem.

If there is some save adjustment in photomatix you should set it for 300dpi as well.

Last edited by musket; Aug 2, 2016 at 10:16 AM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote