Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:52 PM   #1

Default Stairway window, Hoyt Sherman Place

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:32 AM   #2

The balance of light between the window and the rest of the picture is just right.

Reflections in TV screens and in glass often spoil HDR pictures, but in this case the reflection of the lampshade in the glass actually improves the picture as a whole by adding an even more discreet touch of balance.

Congratulations. Placed in a suitable spot it's definitely a wallhanger.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:51 PM   #3

Thanks. I like the pattern of light on the wall, from the panes of the window. I had considered removing the reflection, but I felt the same way you do, about it's place in the image.

I use HDR to try to make the image look as the scene looked to me at the time. This one pretty much does.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:23 PM   #4

I like what you have done, as I usually do, but this isnt a wall hanger to me. The composition isnt anything to write home about. But as an example of an excellent HDR image, this sure works. Pretty grainy though.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:00 PM   #5

Bynx - I have an (admittedly old) HP ZR24w monitor but my (as of today) 88 year old eyes can't discern much in the way of grain.

The walls certainly look less than smooth, but I put that down to the wall paint itself being stippled. I don't perceive an equally stippled effect in the picture that's hanging on the wall.

On the other hand do you perhaps have a huge monitor?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:40 PM   #6

I think you are right Herb, I took the stippling as grain. To be honest Im on a fistful of medication which is affecting every part of me. But I do have a large computer monitor which is very precise in focus and color. Also I had no idea you were older than me. I took you for a 25 year old person who just knew more than me.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:48 PM   #7

Bynx,

I sympathise with you.

My own worst experience was after I was put on Lorazepam about 15 years ago to help me sleep. After a couple of years it didn't work quite so well and I was told to increase the dose. After only a few months it again lost it's effect, so I asked myself if it was prudent to go on using it. So I stopped it cold.

Now I know what withdrawal symptoms are like. I had 2 nights with no sleep at all. It was complete hell. But I slowly improved and a week or so later, thank God, I was O.K.

An old friend in England happened to call and I told him about it. "What!" he said. "That's a most dangerous drug. I was put on it. It was after that that I went mad".

Don't stop your medications because of these anecdotes, but don't be shy to question your doctor about any unpleasant effects.