Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hybrid-still-movie-mp3-digicams-85/)
-   -   anyone own a kodak zx5? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hybrid-still-movie-mp3-digicams-85/anyone-own-kodak-zx5-187967/)

diamenz May 15, 2011 4:59 PM

anyone own a kodak zx5?

i'm thinking of purchasing one after returning the 3rd gen flip. i was wondering if anyone could possibly upload any handy sample videos (raw, unconverted) for me, preferably in 1080p, and if possible a 720p 60fps sample video. preferably daytime outdoor footage. youtube videos just don't cut it for me before purchase. i was really impressed with these (http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-19.html) samples from the kodak zi8, and i'm hoping the zx5 gives such great results. it would really be appreciated if you have the time.

UnknownVT May 15, 2011 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamenz (Post 1226788)
i'm thinking of purchasing one after returning the 3rd gen flip. i was wondering if anyone could possibly upload any handy sample videos (raw, unconverted) for me, preferably in 1080p, and if possible a 720p 60fps sample video. preferably daytime outdoor footage. youtube videos just don't cut it for me before purchase. i was really impressed with these (http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-19.html) samples from the kodak zi8, and i'm hoping the zx5 gives such great results. it would really be appreciated if you have the time.

Caveat first: I do not have a Zx5.

However there have been reports and users' reviews of the Zx5 out there:
Post #26 (link) in new Kodak Playsport Zx5?

There are now a few user reviews on Amazon too.

Kodak are pretty well known for having early teething problems with their new pocket HD camcorders -
and the new PlaySport Zx5 is no exception.

There are complaints its auto-focus is slow - definitely not a good thing -
this might not be able to be addressed with firmware updates -
I certainly would not bank/gamble money on this.

Contrast this with the older model the Zx3 which is now as mature as it can get - since it is being discontinued - but it is the top choice of HD pocket camcorders over at ConsumerSearch.com - who review the reviews - ie: survey the available reviews, rate them and come to some consensus - their Kodak Playsport Zx3 review.

The Zx3 is also the top pick at CamcorderInfo.com 2010 Selects Awards.

It may be discontinued - but the Zx3 is probably as good as it's ever going to get, and it is proven product with now very good reviews and reports.

The Zx3 is based on the Zi8 - but obviously waterproof and more rugged.

Personally I don't like paying to be a field tester for Kodak's new products.
I strongly suggest waiting for Zx5 problems to be fully resolved.

Meanwhile the older Zx3 can be found for less than $86 shipped for used "Like New", or re-certified refurbished by Kodak.

Similarly the Zi8 which you were impressed with, can be found for less than $69 shipped re-certified refurbished by Kodak.

Please also see: Choose: Kodak Zx3 or Zi8?

diamenz May 15, 2011 6:15 PM

thanks for your reply. i'll take the zx3 into consideration, and i guess i should do the same with the zi8. the reason i lie the zx5 is because of it's stability: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-qF_o7IJU

when companies have problems with products like these and can't address issues through firmware upgrades, do they actually release a new model with a different serial number, or do they just sort of sneak it in with us not knowing whether or not we have a newer working version?

diamenz May 15, 2011 6:17 PM

also, amazon says the zx5 was first released in jan of 2011. if they're going to fix stuff, i'm sure it would have been by now or never.

fishycomics May 15, 2011 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamenz (Post 1226805)
also, amazon says the zx5 was first released in jan of 2011. if they're going to fix stuff, i'm sure it would have been by now or never.

Kodak Zx-5 was never released to the public, was in the works of going to a assembly Line .

UnknownVT May 15, 2011 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamenz (Post 1226804)
when companies have problems with products like these and can't address issues through firmware upgrades, do they actually release a new model with a different serial number, or do they just sort of sneak it in with us not knowing whether or not we have a newer working version?

This is a very hard one to answer -
especially if one suspects them of "sneaking" in an improvement -
a case in point is the Zx3 -
Post #190 in Sticky: Kodak Playsport ZX3 Full review
and then my response in Post #191.

Theoretically the only difference between my sample of the Zx3 and the poster's ought to be the firmware -
yet when the poster upgraded to the latest version FW 1.12 -
they saw red blotches in low light -
but my sample came with FW 1.12,
and I cannot see those red blotches -
and I have done extensive tests at very low light,
since that is an area where I use my HD pocket camcorders a lot.

So either sample variations
or maybe an unannounced hardware improvement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamenz (Post 1226805)

For Kodak it is still "early days" for any of their products -
sometimes it takes several months to address all of them -
one only has to look at users' reviews at Amazon for the Zx5 (sorted by date newest first)
there are at least 3 on the first page alone, and as recently as May/11 that have serious problems.

BUT it is your decision and your money.

diamenz May 16, 2011 1:28 AM

thanks for your advice, i'll def keep it in mind.

acmx May 16, 2011 5:57 AM

I just bought the zx5, ill tell you how it is, and i can post some raw footage when get it

diamenz May 16, 2011 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acmx (Post 1226912)
I just bought the zx5, ill tell you how it is, and i can post some raw footage when get it

that would be so much help!

UnknownVT May 16, 2011 3:32 PM

Kodak Playsport ZX3 versus ZX5

Kodak Playsport ZX5 & ZX3 low light comparison

Kodak Playsport ZX5 & ZX3 sound and white balance test

diamenz May 16, 2011 4:34 PM

yeah i've seen all of the youtube vids, thanks.

frank8945 May 16, 2011 5:31 PM

zx5

I have a zx5 and a zi8 The zi8 takes great video for a small cam. The zx5 is good / ok at taking video. Why oh why did Kodak put auto focus on this cam is beyond me. All they had to do was make the zi8 waterproof and I would of been very happy. Here is a link to some video I took.
cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKWU6QtGvE

fishycomics May 16, 2011 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank8945 (Post 1227056)
I have a zx5 and a zi8 The zi8 takes great video for a small cam. The zx5 is good / ok at taking video. Why oh why did Kodak put auto focus on this cam is beyond me. All they had to do was make the zi8 waterproof and I would of been very happy. Here is a link to some video I took.
cheers

I could not agree More. I am still not going to purchase a Zx-5, even if they drop it like they did the price of the Playfull, but they did drop it beyond the footage of 50 feet, not my selling point.

I love the zi8. why I do not just use it I do not know. lol

Loved the footage you posted great Job (liked)

diamenz May 16, 2011 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank8945 (Post 1227056)
cheers

what's the difference in video exactly? less detail with the zx5, bad colors? could you be more specific?

frank8945 May 16, 2011 8:16 PM

zx5

The zx5 works best when the object you are recording is in the 2m to 6m range or in macro. If you take videos of hills or the sky it takes 1 or 2 seconds to focus and get the white balance right. I find the background to be a bit more grainy than the zi8
The zx5 works best in the 60fps 720p you have to remember this is a "action cam" if you're not going to put it in the water, snow or take to the beach you might be best to get something else.
cheers mate :)

diamenz May 16, 2011 9:58 PM

thanks!

fishycomics May 17, 2011 7:47 AM

So we're saying.

That the zx-5 playsport 2nd generation, is only at its optimum with hd720]60f.

That the lower resolution, and and hd1080]30f are general use? That we should look elsewhere, for a beteer device?

The zx-5 and all the kodak camcorders, to remind most, have "INTERPOLATION". We tend to forget the cmos sensor may or not be for stills at 5 mb, but for video?

We may be around 2 -3 mb interpolated software enhanced.

We should be lucky, that kodak hidden and will not allow manual settings. We are fully automated. And unsure if intergrated;

Ev
WB
ISO

And other settings.

We came, or companies came a long way allowing these controls to be minipulated, and that we are grateful.

I think no matter what the choice, this cam has a basic point -and - go attitude.

If you're into something with more gusto. It will cost more.

Why these are a pc low budget hybrid camcorder.

fishycomics May 17, 2011 7:47 AM

So we're saying.

That the zx-5 playsport 2nd generation, is only at its optimum with hd720]60f.

That the lower resolution, and and hd1080]30f are general use? That we should look elsewhere, for a beteer device?

The zx-5 and all the kodak camcorders, to remind most, have "INTERPOLATION". We tend to forget the cmos sensor may or not be for stills at 5 mb, but for video?

We may be around 2 -3 mb interpolated software enhanced.

We should be lucky, that kodak hidden and will not allow manual settings. We are fully automated. And unsure if intergrated;

Ev
WB
ISO

And other settings.

We came, or companies came a long way allowing these controls to be minipulated, and that we are grateful.

I think no matter what the choice, this cam has a basic point -and - go attitude.

If you're into something with more gusto. It will cost more.

Why these are a pc low budget hybrid camcorder.

acmx May 17, 2011 10:02 PM

fishy can a zx5 work with a fe-12?

fishycomics May 18, 2011 4:52 AM

what is its Diameter size of the lens? not the glass, butt hat center? and Am sure for video yes, but stills unsure, why just look at the Playtouch, how David Snook Sales marketing BLUMBERED

fishycomics May 18, 2011 5:12 AM

http://mobile.dailysteals.com/

I save 100.00 and go with the above 80.00

set2374 May 18, 2011 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishycomics (Post 1227438)
http://mobile.dailysteals.com/

I save 100.00 and go with the above 80.00

Now that looks like a much better deal to me! :)

acmx May 18, 2011 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishycomics (Post 1227436)
what is its Diameter size of the lens? not the glass, butt hat center? and Am sure for video yes, but stills unsure, why just look at the Playtouch, how David Snook Sales marketing BLUMBERED

5.5 mm, 35 mm equivalent,

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.221644700

fishycomics May 18, 2011 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acmx (Post 1227542)

For I need not to know, the info but whenwe ask does this fit, do we do that research. the Fe-12 will fit. for sure but will it correctly do its Job unsure, why. Like said DAvid Snook jumps the gun to grab what worked only on a video, but never knoew what happens when stills were taken, so any aftermarket lens may or not be what one is after

diamenz May 19, 2011 1:32 AM

well, i went ahead and bought a zx5. haven't had much time (daylight) to mess with it, but i'll post as i discover. so far, the digital image stab works really really great in 720p60fps, but terrible in 1080p. image quality is what you would expect from a flip, but instead of a 10,000 bit rate with my 1st gen minohd, the zx5 averages a constant 15k give or take. i would say the difference is noticeable. no freezing problems yet, i was thinking of updating the firmware because kodak says the picture color was improved with it, which it def could use. i'm hesitant though... thinking i'll start getting freezes.

anyway, if i do, i have a "sd" slot on the front of my tower, but it does not say "sdhc". is it the same #[email protected]# or what? also, if i put it in the slot, how the hell do i get it out? there's no eject button or switch! why is everything always so complicated.

fishycomics May 19, 2011 7:59 AM

Diamen...edit the cuss. You can re edit and correct.

For the dis

I would think if it is in the cam, it is used for the whole cam. The video the still in all settings.

Some cams may only allow one. Resolution for example. Hd720p60, and not hd1080p or still. Another example zoom is limited in hd1080 only.

Why companies limit, they want you to purchse the higher end model, cannot afford to offer everything in a low budget, then it be to expensive.

fishycomics May 19, 2011 7:59 AM

Diamen...edit the cuss. You can re edit and correct.

For the dis

I would think if it is in the cam, it is used for the whole cam. The video the still in all settings.

Some cams may only allow one. Resolution for example. Hd720p60, and not hd1080p or still. Another example zoom is limited in hd1080 only.

Why companies limit, they want you to purchse the higher end model, cannot afford to offer everything in a low budget, then it be to expensive.

acmx May 23, 2011 4:03 PM

got my zx5 today in the mail and so far i like it

had no problems with the auto focus, one con is it seems to get hot after lots of use

diamenz May 24, 2011 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i returned this camera today... it's just terrible. well, actually the only terrible thing is the color. stabilization is great in 720p60fps like i said, and i never experienced any lock ups, but the color just kills it.

i'm not sure if it's the 1.01 firmware that does this (camera came out of the box with latest firmware), but the way they have it programmed to record makes blacks blacker, and all other dark colors darker than they actually are. if any of you are familiar with the 'output data as basic ycbcr format' in tmpgenc, that's what it is. my first gen flip produces better color than this, it's really really bad. gonna try out either a bloggie touch or duo. here's an example:

look at the black cars, they're a little too black aren't they. and no, it's not a light situation - exact same thing happens in bright sunlight covering the whole frame. even careful gamma correction does not help. it's terrible. i hope bestbuy doesn't have a limit on # of returns... i've already returned a 3rd gen flip, now this zx5. i plan on buying a bloggie touch tomorrow, and may just return that too to see how it compares with the bloggie duo and make a final decision, haha.

fishycomics May 24, 2011 4:07 AM

Due to its Cmos sensor.

Sony you'll probbly expirence better or worse, never saying perfect

acmx May 24, 2011 10:01 PM

heres a little promo i made with my zx5, it doesn't look bad quality wise in 720p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4g_-...layer_embedded

unedited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWhbDmSVg0