Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hybrid-still-movie-mp3-digicams-85/)
-   -   DXG-5K1V anyone ? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hybrid-still-movie-mp3-digicams-85/dxg-5k1v-anyone-196841/)

bobjr94 Mar 6, 2012 6:12 PM

DXG-5K1V anyone ?

I remember this board really got into the older 595v, so I was wondering if anyone has tried out the 5K1V ?

I have a 595V still, except for 2 bugs I would have really liked it (almost no low light performance & it sometimes focuses in & out repeatedly ). Minor annoyances were only digital image stabilization with 5X optical zoom, cheap sounding audio that made plastic noise whenever you moved the camera(crack crack crunch) and short battery life.

This 5K1V looks almost like a real video camera, 20x optical zoom, OIS, external mic input, upto 1080 P/I, some type of manual focus and starts around $250.

I can't find any reviews on amazon or anywhere else and no videos posted on youtube.

Any comments on this camera ?

http://www.dxgusa.com/products/pro-gear/dxg-5k1v.html

HDfan23 Mar 8, 2012 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjr94 (Post 1288775)
I remember this board really got into the older 595v, so I was wondering if anyone has tried out the 5K1V ?

I have a 595V still, except for 2 bugs I would have really liked it (almost no low light performance & it sometimes focuses in & out repeatedly ). Minor annoyances were only digital image stabilization with 5X optical zoom, cheap sounding audio that made plastic noise whenever you moved the camera(crack crack crunch) and short battery life.

This 5K1V looks almost like a real video camera, 20x optical zoom, OIS, external mic input, upto 1080 P/I, some type of manual focus and starts around $250.

I can't find any reviews on amazon or anywhere else and no videos posted on youtube.

Any comments on this camera ?

http://www.dxgusa.com/products/pro-gear/dxg-5k1v.html

Yeah not much info besides DXG provided specs which look great on paper. Maybe like you, everyone is waiting for a review before taking a plunge haha.

bobjr94 Mar 8, 2012 8:01 PM

I emailed DXG, they said its an excellent camera, but thats like taking the word of a used car dealer that this is the perfect car (I work at a used car dealer).

He said it replaces the A85V, has much better low light performance, variable speed zoom (my 595 did not) and some other things that were printed in the specs.

Seems like a great camera on paper, $100-$150 less then other entry level HD cameras with similar specs and quite a bit less then other models with external mic inputs, but when all the major stores have 0 reviews on it, I feel a bit nervous.

Who wants to go first ?

thecrooner Jun 10, 2012 6:49 PM

OK... so, I went to bat for everyone here... I purchased a DXG-5K1V...

AWESOME video camera. Simply fantastic. Especially considering the price (I purchased it through Amazon for about $220 + 32GB flash memory) I am VERY pleased.

I had purchased the original model about 2 years ago and frankly was quite disappointed... especially with sound quality, which was HORRIBLE. In fact, I worked closely with DXG's R&D department and provided some field tests and ideas in the following months.

THIS model has MUCH better video quality (a 5MP video sensor rather than the original 2) and allows you to select from either H.264 or .MOV format... and also FINALLY, an external microphone jack and variable audio level via the touchscreen!

I am SUPER PLEASED with sound quality. I am a music performer, so this is crucial... AND I will want to record other performers too.

It also now includes threads for utilizing sunshades and filters. Yippee!

Here's a YouTube link from today... http://youtu.be/x-yWueCzyp8

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CAMERA!!

Charly_C Jul 20, 2012 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecrooner (Post 1306031)
OK... so, I went to bat for everyone here... I purchased a DXG-5K1V...

AWESOME video camera. Simply fantastic. Especially considering the price (I purchased it through Amazon for about $220 + 32GB flash memory) I am VERY pleased.

I had purchased the original model about 2 years ago and frankly was quite disappointed... especially with sound quality, which was HORRIBLE. In fact, I worked closely with DXG's R&D department and provided some field tests and ideas in the following months.

THIS model has MUCH better video quality (a 5MP video sensor rather than the original 2) and allows you to select from either H.264 or .MOV format... and also FINALLY, an external microphone jack and variable audio level via the touchscreen!

I am SUPER PLEASED with sound quality. I am a music performer, so this is crucial... AND I will want to record other performers too.

It also now includes threads for utilizing sunshades and filters. Yippee!

Here's a YouTube link from today... http://youtu.be/x-yWueCzyp8

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CAMERA!!

Hello "thecrooner" I live in Lebanon Middle East that is, and my friend is coming to the USA in the next couple of days, and I told him to buy the DXG 5k1v Camcorder because it is withing my 250$ to 300$ budget and it has great features. But on the other side this cam does not have any reviews, I saw your video on youtube it looked great on my PC but if you may please be more helpful and answer my below questions:

How much is the effective video resolution of the cam?

Is this cam's Optical Stabilization really effective?

Is the LED Light good in the Dark?

Is the performance good in Low Light?

Are the Still Images really good?

Can you Pause while Recording?

How much does the battery last while recording?

Is this the replacement battery? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenmar--...=1218256568358) for this cam, because I will buy one

Is the camcorder's body rigid and not cheap?

And last but not least...would you recommend me this cam?

Thank you for your answers, I would really really appreciate them,

Charly Chakhtoura

private message me

Beirut, Lebanon

delete

Charly_C Jul 24, 2012 3:09 AM

Hello All I live in Lebanon Middle East that is, and my friend is coming to the USA in the next couple of days, and I told him to buy the DXG 5k1v Camcorder because it is withing my 250$ to 300$ budget and it has great features. But on the other side this cam does not have any reviews, I saw the video on youtube it looked great on my PC but if you may please be more helpful and answer my below questions:

How much is the effective video resolution of the cam?

Is this cam's Optical Stabilization really effective?

Is the LED Light good in the Dark?

Is the performance good in Low Light?

Are the Still Images really good?

Can you Pause while Recording?

How much does the battery last while recording?

Is this the replacement battery? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenmar--...=1218256568358) for this cam, because I will buy one

Is the camcorder's body rigid and not cheap?

And last but not least...would you recommend me this cam?

Thank you for your answers, I would really really appreciate them,

Charly Chakhtoura

private message me

Beirut, Lebanon

bobjr94 Sep 1, 2012 1:32 AM

How long does that battery last ? Is is the same np120 type as in older dxg's ?

After having it for some time now, how is it working, no focus problems or anything ?

fishycomics Nov 4, 2012 8:24 AM

It is sad to see not many come back around. isay the battery has a lifespan of 1.5 years. or 1000 cycles.

bobjr94 Jan 5, 2013 2:36 PM

I see all the stores have listed this model as discontinued now, or has dxg gone out of business ? Their facebook is no longer updated and people are posting customer service has never gotten back to them.

If any of these orphan cameras pop up on clearance, would be worth picking them up ? How has the camera lasted after about 6 months of use ?

Scoot Jan 6, 2013 7:56 AM

Hi, Bob! My philosophy is to buy discontinued cameras of ANY type only if they are VERY cheap.

Good hunting.

Scoot.

fishycomics Jan 6, 2013 8:34 AM

Discontinued, or out of business? that is a question to keep in mind?

Is it best to buy one? will you take better care of the model. Use it and dump it not caring?

bobjr94 May 10, 2013 9:53 PM

I finally decided to try one once they got cheap enough on ebay. After some playing with, I would call it someplace near junk as far as being able to use it as your everyday do everything camera. Mine will get off focus and not come back in. And it was new sealed in the box, not used or referb. If your doing lots of close up video with no need to zoom, then it may be useful as you can just lock the focus in manual mode, but if thats all your doing you could just your use your phone.

If you don't zoom over about 50% the focus problem isnt as bad. But the display dosent show zoom in numbers or %, just a bar that lags a second behind the actually zoom, so you have to guess. It dosent help the zooming is too fast. Im thinking the focus problems will only get worse as the unit gets older. Sometimes when zoomed in, objects have a slight ghosting around them, almost making them look like they were shot on a green screen, probably due to the tiny lens and sensor you can see when you look into it. When zooming in or out the image looses focus, most other video cameras I have can keep the image focused when zooming in reasonable light conditions.

The longer you use it the worse the focus problem gets, when I first started using it I thought this camera would be a winner, it was working pretty good. But after a bit the focus gets off, just runs in and out, in and out. Nothing will focus near or far, zoomed in or out. For whatever reason, using manual focus wont get a good pic either once it's started doing this. You have to turn it off and on it works great again for a little while. I see why they were discontinued so fast, too bad to it has a number of good features. Since the focus will work fine for a while, you think they could have made some small changes in the firmware to keep it working. There is a calibration in the factory setting (selector in Set, then Menu & Zoom) but I have not tired it, when I recalibrated my 595V it seemed to get worse.
Anyway, here is a run down.

+Does have external mic jack with automatic or manual adjustable input level on either mic. Ext. seems to be mono but I can't find anything on it.
+ 2 hours 46 minutes recording on single charge (@1080P, mostly stationary, some zooming and motion time to time)
+ Replacement batteries are cheap (10-15$ for higher quality ones, 3$ for cheap ones that may / may not last)
+Can be powered by usb cable(good for extended use) and usb chargers are cheap, could also use external battery with usb plug.
+Does have variety of video options AVI or MOV files at 1080P30 & I30, 720P 60 & 30, 800x480Px60 and 432x240Px240fps)-
+Does have manual focus option, can focus in or out or lock focus in place with the little selector stick, but dosnt always work.
+Comes with HDMI cable
+Does have optical image stabilization. Works pretty good, holds image fairly steady even with purposely shaking camera, every now and then it will cause the image to jump if you moving the camera and looses track of where it was.
+The manual white balance works very good, point it at something white (wall, paper) and push the stick to manual and it rebalances the colors correctly, even in low or poor lighting.
-It looses focus while zooming and after, it sometimes takes 2-5 seconds to come back in. At higher zoom levels sometime it will never focus, requiring you to zoom back out then wait for it to come back in focus.
-Arcsoft video editor is preloaded into the camera memory, no disk, shows up when you connect a usb cable. I dont care about the software cameras come with, use Sony Vegas Pro. I didnt try it, others said it's an out of date version.
-The zoom does not seem like a true variable speed, I was told by someone at dxg it was. It is maybe 2 speeds, fast and faster. The slowest zoom is to fast for my liking. The zoom also does a stutter step sometimes, starts to zoom in or out, pauses then starts again.
-There also does not seem to be a way of turning off digital zoom, there is a little pause when get to it but it's too easy to use by accident and loose your image quality.

Bit rate I got was around 15,000 at 1080I 30 or 115MB per minute. 10K at 1080P 30(80MB/M). 6.9k at 720x60 (51MB/M) and 7k at 720x30 (54MB/M). 6.7k at 484x60 (51MB/M).

In AVI mode it records H264 and ADPCM 4bit 48k audio in an AVI container
In MOV mode it records AVC1 and AAC 48K audio in an MP4 container

Sony Vegas Pro wouldnt open the AVI files, it didnt like the audio. The MOV files opened fine. Both formats played in Windows Media Player and VLC.

Overall, I really wish this thing focused more accurately, with out getting lost and searching endlessly at times. This would be a nice camera for the price but not focusing correctly is a pretty major defect for a video camera.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C553vqdign8