Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:18 PM   #11

Thanks Rgvcam for the aiptek for dummies course i'll keep that in mind so vga for email and forums? I have a 2 gig so i don't think i'll worry too much about space:lol:
Takeichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:29 PM   #12
SH

Hey folks- I ended up getting the PVR at our local Best Buy for yes, you guessed it, $99 after my MPVR bit the dust 3 days ago. I had use of MPVR for not quite 11 mos. and not sure if I'm going to try to RMA it or not. Anyway, I have the older firmware on my PVR too, 3104-01. One thing I noticed as a minor anoyance was the prot film on the screen has a hand icon in the corner covering the screen, ugh, I don't want to take it off, hell I still have that film on my busted MPVR. Also not sure about the lower profile joy stick, hmm. Well off I go for now, back another time prolly bye..
SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:43 PM   #13

Sh Get used to it?

if you want protection it cost yep ten bucks at a staples bestbuy etc I also have all that stuf on mycameras cellphones etc lol.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:20 PM   #14

Hi,

I've had a DV8800 for a few weeks. So far I love it although I've only been playing around, nothing serious. However, today I did manage to DROP it. It fell about 2 feet and landed lens-down. The result: everything still works fine, but the lens (I don't know camera parts well, but I guess that's the "lens") now has a vertical crack spanning the whole diameter just off-center. Amazingly, the crack is not visible in pictures or video despite being very visible to the naked eye. Unfortunately, that's not to say there's no downside. When a bright light source is at a certain angle (or rather range of angles) to the lens, there is a streak of glare that runs from one edge of the image up to the location of the crack. It's not horrible, but IF it could be fixed easily, I'd like to. So my question is, #1, is the lens (25mm by my measurement) easily replaceable, if not by me then by an expert? And #2, is that tiny hole at the bottom of the lens area a release of some sort which one can stick a pin into in order to unscrew the lens assembly?

Any help is much appreciated. This is a wonderful little camera (I love being able to use it as a DVR) and I'd love to get it back into peak shape!

(Mods: If you feel this doesn't belong in the Review thread, feel free to move it. Personally, though, I know that when I look for reviews of anything electronic I like to learn as much as possible. )

(Edited post to make clearer - I don't know cameras well...)

Diyabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:17 PM   #15

divabolo.

welcome to the site and this topic

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

visit this thread and Pm the person Star............

he opened up the camera step by step it is the same exact model. he may help out

if you are able to do it yourself w/o a worry great. if afraid then contact him or aiptek for a fix aiptek may sell parts ? if they answer?

now this is the perfect spot for your post that's why its called the PVR review. again welcome

and sorry to hear about the drop.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:31 AM   #16

Thanks fishy, I just PM'd him. It would be nice if the lens were accessible without taking the whole case apart -- we'll see. It would also be nice if I could get a replacement lens for less than half the cost of the camera... But if not, I'm still impressed at how little effect it has on the performance. If anyone takes a lesson from this, it should be to always keep your camera in the case when not using it, even for a few minutes. I was picking it up to start using when this happened, and if I hadn't been lazy it would have been stored properly. You should also use a water bottle cap with the threads filed out as a lens cap. I had made one, but wasn't using it at the time. Notice how these hybrids have no protection whatsoever around the lens -- no litle ridge to keep the lens rim from hitting the floor directly.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:38 AM   #17

DiyaboloI owe you an appology i see its DIYabolo, my eyes I will be needing glasses :?soon.

Unless i answered in the Am hour will correct my post........

the aiptek dv5300 has a 3m self tape which I accedently pulled off , due to a lens mod.

I see you got someexcellent points

O.T. I own quite a few of these hyrids

one I adore most is the Mustek dv4500 it fell 10-15 in maryland on a bike traile . I pulled over and thought I place the cam on a ledge of an area and film myself walking a down tree log.

I did but who fell, not me :Gthe camera. this led to a weak battery door later on, and then I used it on arc truck yep left the sceen open bye bye tft screen. I was very lucky I found a 2 for 1 auction that sold a defective and good one. brand new cam was defective, still works w/o the screen lit, can be used for spy, web you name it if have an external monitor. I switched bodies and now have two cams of the same and a spare.

So yes Be careful even for that split second. I hate to drop mine in the ocean?

Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:13 PM   #18

Thanks, fishy - actually I hadn't even noticed your misspelling, so guess I need glasses, too. :!:

Here's a pic taken with the broken lens. The streak on the left occurs when a bright (or high contrast rather) light source is in the right half of the image. The center-most edge of the streak is where the vertical crack is located. I would take a photo of the cracked lens itself, but that would mean getting out another camera, and unlike fishy I don't have 20 of them lying around. :-)
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:34 PM   #19

suggestion place camera in a mirror lol there you got a twin?:Gkidding

1 the streak is where I circled? if not I can not tell at all if so cloning shall be the best bet till a replacement

2. now you got a perfect picture

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:28 PM   #20

Thanks, fishy -- yes, that's the streak, and I'm pretty good with Photoshop if it comes down to that. But I've started to get confused. Now, can someone tell me (and forgive my ignorance) is the outermost piece of glass on the camera an actual LENS that does something optically, or just a piece of protective glass? After all, it's flat, not convex.... In other words, can I just get any piece of glass the right diameter, preferably nonreflective, and stick it in there? I guess this would answer my question: to those who've disassembled any hybrid, do these cameras work with that outer glass not in place?

(I'm really sorry to be taking over this thread!)