Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:27 PM   #1

Open topic

Welcome.

Firmware 3200 hw01

This is the Aiptek PVR (dv8800) review. You will see a lot less Detail shots as well as other pictures. You may catch the full review that started out from the very beginning of September 2005. As Our mebers are following everyday what the Aiptek MPVr 2k6 (dv6800) has to offer. now the DV8800 known as the PDVR, PVR and a few other names. Here is the link from the start. AIPTEK MPVR 2k6 Click me.

This Review is all about the PVR and we'll compare it with the MPV For refrence

Section one Description and Details.

Here we compare how the PVR (dv8800)stands Out over the MPr(dv6800).

Pic 1 left pic. we see the newer front face of the PVR, only Chrome you see is the wrist strap holde while the lens area still has the silver finish nicely placed. Digital Zoom , 8.4mm F2.8 lens, while the MPVr has a 8.3mm. F3.0 large size strobe flash,remote sensor optional through Aiptek.com or 2fidelity and ridged front for a handgrip to stop the camera from sliding.

Right side pic. has a external speaker that I cannot count the holes for sound to come out, battery coverwith a large center tab with two extra slim tabs and two lower slots that hold the case on good , can be a better or older style battery support. we would like a more solid fit. as the MPVr hasa older style slot on its side, the PVR anewer design but both do the same hold the cover on. Inside is your Li-on battery and sd/mmc card reader slot. notice a different design sticker more colorful but on an angle not perfectly straight. (removable) video and voice sampling forexternal speaker tests wil help later on about soun.

Pic 2 left side Pic. top viewhas hard to see on the PVR solid black looking like the it is a bigger mic, while the MPVR has one dot making its mic micro small. both the same design video and voice sampling will tell.

Right side. View finder is totally the same white letters that may be a lil hard in direct sunlight, battery icon, machro/people, flash. auto and pic/viddisplays. while the dv/dsc lights up in the start a solid red, instead of solid, andflickering green. something new the joystick is set in further or due to no rubber covering a better design if you do not use zoom in/out but you will zoom in when viewing in playback etc. same color menu and mode while the jack blends perfectly with the camera, only if the rubber was black what plesure.

As we can clearly conclude the PVR's details the camera has a better look to it by far.somestil preferre old school while others adapted to change.We will talkabout the PVR some more in description over the detail. A metal triod screw is Placed well in the front as the strap is set low the PVR has a solid open and close on the tft screen, or I gotten my MPVR worn in by now, both feel the same when first bought, the sticker on the outside that is stamped or embedded Aiptek is lazered on the PVR, while its insidehas none. Future models will change showing stamp locations. there is a lil mic or head set stamp on the outside some may need added info for their Purchse to decide if the firmware and sbc codes are the best product out on the market.

Here is the Firmware 3200 hw 01 barcodebk160051942 sept 2006

This concludes my details and descriptions we all know this is a 640x480 @ 30fps I wil not take any video or stil lower than thehighest setting unless posted.

Section 2 Video and stills

In This section we'll look at whatsome ask way to much info how are the stills , I need afull blown shot, and thevideo I need a complete downlaod at full res.

Well here you shall have it

even better i have found some test subjects to even do a review of the vid /aud issues. so lets getstarted right of the bat.

------------------Click on the link that says click me next to it---------------------

1P. PVR vid/aud synk issues. click me

1M MPVR vid/aud synk issues click me

These two vids are the same time taken holding one in the left and the other in the right. you tell if theres a difference

2p video of the bay click me no stablization used

2m video of the bay click me no stabilization used

Conclusion my conclusion is that i can tell you I am unhappy with the clearity at the shots in video I expected a crisper andcleareer video. posably it was the angle iwas on the sun was ahead of me . so i snappedsomestill and i did manage to come out with one good one. lets get right to it

Pic of the PVR first then MPVr 2nd then repeat till all 4 are up.

Pic of the MPVR

Pic of the PVR

Pic 2 MPVR

Pic 3 PVR

Pic 3 MPVR

Pic PVR

Pic 4 MPVR

Conclusion of my Pictures no doubt about it the MPVr seems to have been brighter. the PVR on a darker side. I wonder if Firmware updates of my MPVR has anythingto do with it. . I can tell you that the swans are better wit hthe PVr but the last shot makes the ski bright and blue we say zoom is for fools wel does the baby bullet look like one , Do not asnwer that i would not risk my life on that boat. it shows brighter andclear on the MPVr as natural as the PVR.

I guess its prefrence could the camera be set by defualt anythings possablr

section three Lets talk about function and feaures

1 right off the bat I will tell you this and try my best to get some film up for you

This PVR has a Lens Cover yes it does, or so it did , still got my attention.

see vid and avatar

1 Aiptek PVR lens cap click me pic, and avatar.

Now I got the best feature out of the way lets see what else will suprise me

a lower speakerforsure on the PVr , but hey it displays titles with a icon covering the titles not to shabby well for now this is enough to allow you to decide what its worth till then to be continued its always opened the topic

2. As another bang for the Buck outwith Mono and IN with sterio yes no more mono av in recording now a seperate left and right with video. as i cannot use my MPVr cable got to update Yes. will post a vidsample on how to record to the av In camera of a set top box,
topic is open

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2

updated spots
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:27 PM   #3

It seems that you have a later firmware than mine. You list 3200 whereas mine is 3104.

At the time Aiptek support said they did not have any firmware updates so I may contact them again to see if I can get that one if available provided it fixes the audio/sync issue. Could you clarify if you still found any audio/sync issues with the PVR? I am hoping the later firmware has fixed this.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:33 PM   #4

I don't know about the 6800 but there are somefive or six settings on the 8800when taking a picture that determine how bright should the picture be? I guess those pics here were both taken on the auto setting (which in my experience is good but not good enough, so when ever I power on the 8800 I tend to immediatelly set the picture taking setting accordingly either to cloudy, tungsten, flourescent, whatever...).

When I say always when I power up the camera I literally mean always since for some reason those picture settings always revert back for me (I can't get them to save, might have something to do with my firmware which is version 1400, HW 0)...

BTW, mine is silver? Might be thatsilver 8800's bought in Europehave earlier firmware versions...?!?!? :?
novinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:41 PM   #5

Thank You RGV, and NOV

RGV did you notice the lens protector lol

Alright so you have 3104 the earliest one around, I would think 3200 would be the start.

if there was a way to get the firmware out of the camera yes I would Post.

If you get to Aiptek with the the Firmware ask for the orginal, and the upgrade

need to see if it fixs any issues.

Did you watch the interview of the kids i think it stil is the same trouble as the get go MPVR 1500 or PVR 3200 both are up in the review

1P. PVR vid/aud synk issues. click me

1M MPVR vid/aud synk issues click me

Nov

as for the settings we have no control as to have auto always at default if you had it on cloudy for that whole day yes it be great but what if thesun came out while still on cloudy?

all cam's tend to be this way unless they have a preset

Only cam hada preset was theIspan 920 for a screen saver as you start up the cam?

thanks

Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:01 PM   #6

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
as for the settings we have no control as to have auto always at default if you had it on cloudy for that whole day yes it be great but what if thesun came out while still on cloudy?

all cam's tend to be this way unless they have a preset

Only cam hada preset was theIspan 920 for a screen saver as you start up the cam?

thanks

Yeah but still I found that when using 8800 to take picsindoors the auto setting won't cut it for me. I'd much more like to save the last setting I used before turning off the 8800 (there's a much bigger chance for me to take thepicture in the same or simmilar surroundings)than having it always revert to auto mode (which as I've said just won't take that good pictures for me whilst indoors, outdoors it's preety good, but indoors bad).

I couldn't agree more also with R. and his post in the other topic on shutter sounds, we need to be able to turn them off (AIPTEK isn't japaneese, right?! 'cause I think it's a law in Japan that that soundcan not be turned off, has something to do with taking pictures in places that forbid picture taking, I think).

EDIT

BTW, do you knowwhat's the difference between HW 0 and HW 1 models?! Are Firmwares for HW 1 usable on 0's and vice versa??!
novinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:41 AM   #7

woot! just bought it at bestbuy and i find the pictures clear and the video passable but not great. The stabilization is superb imo. i'll have pictures up later. but can anyone help me with these programs i have. Muvee producer says it has a .dll error and the PMP driver doesn't locate my camera so i'm a bit bummed. Well not really cause idk what they are used for. 4/5 for me
Pros
Price 99.99 PWNZ!
lightweight
it's black
lens guard and lens protector
nice lcd screen
Great pictures!
easy interface
good sound quality
Cons
3x flash
video is questionable (it's able to track a disc and a yoyo on qvga) But i say average
night mode is laggy

Lucky i found this site or else i'd be buying a dv-2 right now...
P.S
how do you lower the size of the pictures? I'm new to this stuff...
Takeichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:45 AM   #8

Fishycomics, that isn't a lens cover. I believe that's the mechanical shutter. If you look at the specs on the Taiwanese site here :

http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/dv/dv8800.htm

You can see 'Fixed lens with mechanical shutter'

I had assumed that the MPVR had this as well, but apparently not as it is not listed in the specs and you mentioned it as something new on the PVR as well.

You can see it in action when you take a still image. You will see it close shut briefly and open again just like on the old film cameras.

I wonder why they are using a mechanical shutter in the DV8800. It seems to be the only one using it or at least listing it in the specs unless others have noticed this on other models?

I notice they also don't list a mechanical shutter on the PocketDV Z100 Pro which is similar to the Zoom Dv6 just out here in the USA.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:56 AM   #9

Takeichi wrote:
Quote:
woot! just bought it at bestbuy and i find the pictures clear and the video passable but not great. The stabilization is superb imo. i'll have pictures up later. but can anyone help me with these programs i have. Muvee producer says it has a .dll error and the PMP driver doesn't locate my camera so i'm a bit bummed. Well not really cause idk what they are used for. 4/5 for me
Pros
Price 99.99 PWNZ!
lightweight
it's black
lens guard and lens protector
nice lcd screen
Great pictures!
easy interface
good sound quality
Cons
3x flash
video is questionable (it's able to track a disc and a yoyo on qvga) But i say average
night mode is laggy

Lucky i found this site or else i'd be buying a dv-2 right now...
P.S
how do you lower the size of the pictures? I'm new to this stuff...
Welcome to the club! To change the resolution of the photos just press menu when in camera mode and the first option at the top is 'Resolution'. Selecting this gives you four settings:

VGA, 3M, 5M, 8M

My advice is don't bother with 8M as it's interpolated. Stick to the true 5M unless you are short on space in which case you could use 3M. The VGA mode is only good for email, and you can always resize on a PC anyway. The golden rule of digital photography is always shoot at the highest native quality (ie true native sensor resolution). If you find you are constantly running short of space then just buy a larger card rather than skimp on photo size. These days there is no excuse with a 1GB card being under $20! Remember you can't make an old low resolution photo into a high resolution one, if you later realise that you wanted a higher quality large print.

As long as you don't take it too seriously and expect to make an independent movie with it, you'll have fun.

The performance of these cheapdevices is always going to be questionable as they tend to the use the lowest amount of CPU processing ablility they can get away with not only for cost but italso improves the battery life. This is also why camera phones are terrible for lag, as their CPU's are optimized for frugal power consumption rather than horse power.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:47 AM   #10

RGVcam you're right lol I thought it was a lens inner cover Lol

this will close as you snap a Pic and reopen guess its old fashion shutters banging my own head