Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:02 PM   #11

Getting back to on topic, one wish I would like is for Aiptek to add a higher quality mode like they have on Casio's. In this mode you would halve the recording time with a correspondingly higher bitrate. With a 2GB card you would get say 1 hour which is still a very good recording time. Of course to be fair, the hardware may not be capable of this, as you would need to use highspeed SD cards. Still hopefully in the future they may do this.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:25 PM   #12

I like to see 60 fps and a 720x540 format as well as a third res on film and as well as an avi andasf format. possably a duel battery aa or aaa and or li-on
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:37 PM   #13

Fishycomics, I think you mean 720x480 . I agree this would be nice and some of them already have it ie the PocketDV T300 according to the specs. It would match the DVD aspect ratio nicely. I also agree they need to have multiple file formats as the DXG cameras do. In fact a more standard MPEG4 would be nice rather than the proprietry Microsoft format.

The framerate of 60fps would probably come when they move to HD specs as 30fps is adequate for DVD and VCD. Also remember that 60fps would double the memory required so until these devices start to use 4 and 8GB SD cards I doubt they'll add that yet.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:41 PM   #14

There's no sense recording in 720x480 unless you have a wide-screen tv or computer monitor. If you do so, you will either sacrifice the ends of the shots, or have to vertically narrow the shots. Either way, with most cameras, you will also go down to 20fps. The manufacturers are squeezing the higher (wider) resolution onto the same circuitry by lowering the frame rate. I wish they'd increase the bitrate capacity and decrease the compression instead.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:19 AM   #15

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
There's no sense recording in 720x480 unless you have a wide-screen tv or computer monitor. If you do so, you will either sacrifice the ends of the shots, or have to vertically narrow the shots. Either way, with most cameras, you will also go down to 20fps. The manufacturers are squeezing the higher (wider) resolution onto the same circuitry by lowering the frame rate. I wish they'd increase the bitrate capacity and decrease the compression instead.
720x480 is the standard for MiniDV and DVD so it makes sense to have a source that matches the destination as close as possible so the image is not stretched at the ends.

The increase in bitrate is my number one wish too as posted above, but I don't see it happening anytime soon with Aiptek though I hope to be proved wrong.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:57 AM   #16

Thanks for clarifying that.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:00 AM   #17

Well again I never did get a reply from Aiptek. Not even so much as a confirmation. Has anyone here ever got an email reply from them using their support form?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:21 AM   #18

Well I called Aiptek and guess what it was Wil again! I asked if he was the only support person there. He said he is just the first one to pick up t he phone, so I guess somehow I have got him each of the 3 times I have called!

Anyway he said they are aware of the problems and they were trying to make a firmware that will work on all the products. It sounds almost as if they are placing different firmwares out there so that it gets tested by customers first to me.

They haven't got the new firmware yet from Taiwan. I asked if it will be posted on their site and he said yes although he was a little vague on that, although he said it's either that or by calling in.

You would think that Taiwan would send the new firmware over as soon as they were shipping it on units, but I guess as I said above, maybe they are 'beta testing' it on shipped units first before settling on a firmware...