Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1

ok I've now been given the go ahead by my wife to purchase one of these little beasts. Trouble is I'm not quite sure which way to go.

All I'm wanting to do is film the kids (both inside and outside) and that's really it. I want the convenience of SD card storage and don't wanto to have to give a kidney to buy it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
windeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:12 AM   #2

welcome WInd............

you basically said it, and answered your question

the Mustek dv9300 is exactly good for that

if you do not mind no optical zoom, but I believe if you want to purchase an sanyo exacti go for a camcorder

mustek dv9300 will do all but low light you'll lose and indorr with a lighton you;ll lose all video quality did you see any sampleshots

theexacti by sanyo I cannot speak for but I am sure for 600 I can say the same thing you'll lose

go o thesanyo site see, andread up on it

I can say you'll behappier with a camcorder a dvd one that has a light, and a disk, as well as10x optical zoom

if you do notmindwaitingfor tapes to load in true time you'l get 32x optical for3000

so its now time to read up

I suggest you see sample vids before you decide..............
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:09 AM   #3

Cheers Fishycomics

I actually have a JVC GR-D53AA that I am about to sell on ebay. The reason I want to get rid of it is I'm sick of changing tapes and having to make sure I'm not taping over something I want to keep. The idea of being able to simply stick an SD card in and go for it appeals.

If not the Mustek could you possibly recommend another model/brand?

I've looked at the DV9300 samples and I'm pretty impressed.

Thanks again.

Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:05 AM   #4

If you can understand all hybridsdo not function with low light.

When OldHAcer returns on or checks in he is the person to ask in the Mustek area?

I do Own Musteks and they are more old style I love each andevery hybridI have each one has a different scheme to it

i would say you want hours of battery life an AA system. but if you get an extra LI-on then it does not matter

you want hours offilming An ASF format over avi

but avi would be better video editing Win Movie maker likes and dislikes asf all my cameras work well except the aipte Av In recording it did work till it said hay i do not wantt o work with WMM.

Ifi were to dump 600.00 i think twice that's all I am saying the sanyo is perfect but cannot comment go to thesanyo index and see if others got somecomments

the Mustek is fine but cannot tell you to get it?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:41 PM   #5

windeath,

How much does a kidney go for? The C6 is one of the most expensive hybirds. Did you read Steve's Sanyo Xacti C6 review ? There is no question the C6 is a lot better camera than the Mustek DV-9300.

If you want to stay in the under $200 USD class, the 9300 isn't a bad choice. The 9300 video is good but seldom gets to 30 fps (usually 24 fps, less in low light). Still pictures are fair. Have you looked at the Mustek 12M? Similar camera with a 5MP CMOS sensor instead of the 9300's 3MP CMOS sensor.

I personally prefer my Digilife DDV-1000 over the DV-9300 for its 5 MP CCD sensor (better low light performance),AV Input feature, and larger LCD screen.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:38 PM   #6

Thanks Old HACer

I have been looking at the Digilife stuff (as I've been pouring over this site reading reviews and looking at samples).

I don't know if I can justify the price of the Sanyo. I have a DSLR which I use a lot but the video side of things isn't that much and really it's only the kids to date that I have been shooting (figuratively speaking).

I think I'll check out the DDV-1000.

Thanks again.