Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:16 PM   #1

I bought my ddv-7000 about a year and a half ago and was fairly happy with it. It was very small and convenient, and the video quality was satisfactory given the price and compact size. Their were a few issues when panning the camera, and some "flashes" or noise during filming in lower light conditions, but in good light it was quite nice.

Recently, I notice that the camera has developed a very weird problem. I turn it on, it works, then I turn it off, and it won't turn on again! The only way I can get it to turn on again is to take out the battery, remove the SD Card, then re-insert the card and battery - then it will work - once. When I turn it off again, I have to remove the SD card and battery again in order to turn the cameral back on! Both the SD card and the battery must be removed and then re-inserted for the camera to work again.

The camera still works - just turning it on and off is a real pain. Can any body suggest what might be wrong with the camera and what I might do to solve it? Do I need a firm ware upgrade - if so, where can I find it (have not seen it on the Digilife websites). Thanks.
CameraShyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:26 PM   #2

camerashydad welcome aboard

1. how old is the sd card?

sometimes they do go bad they need 3vdcto operate correctly they will uperate at around 2vdc on a low batery.

if the sd card goes bad or gets currupted this may be the start of the problem.

so what I suggest if you did not already try?

Did you try the internal memory . turning on snapping andturning off to see if it goes back on?

2. There is not a firmware update here or that i know of i believe there is one dep i nthe pages but maybe if I remember right a 1000 digilife????

3 have you tried the sd in the pc loading stuff and seeif it accepts anything in a normal manner?

4 lastly the battery is a Li-ON posably it is weak and needs replacement , that may also cause the problem.

Please do not go out and Purchase anysd's or batteries due to my questions these are just suggestions that I would test out andsee if fixs the problem.

hope they help and possably sgspirit can answer I think he owned one at a time? again Welcomea board
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3

I can only second the welcome, and I think fishycomics has covered the possibilities.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 8:35 AM   #4

Thank you for your input gentlemen. I have tried it with internal memory only - same problem. The funny thing is that without the card, when I turn it on, it goes on but if I turn it off, I have to re-insert the card to get it to boot up again. Strange. I have tried reformating the card and again, same problem. I was going to by a smaller capacity card to replace a lost card for another camera, so I will give that new card a try. However, I think it may be a battery issue, since I can't seem to recharge the battery (it has a full charge and I have not used it extensively in over a month). I am presently recording using the camera in low resolution mode, in hopes of draining the battery. I will then recharge it again and see what happens. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the "camera gremlins" lose interst and vacate my little toy.

I must say, I truly enjoy these small compact cameras - however, I am not happy with the inconsisten quality of these products. The basic premise of these products is very good - an mpeg4 video camera that is small and compact and which produces decent quality video (good enough for TV or computer viewing). These cameras are much simpler to use than DV tape cameras and produce small files which are easy to work with. I have read the reviews for several similar products, and have concluded that Digilife, Musteck and the rest seem to place a low priority on quality control. It is such a shame that a reliable mpeg4 hybird camera is hard to find.

I have a Samsung DV Tape Camera which cost only about a hundred dollars more than my DDV-7000. The Samsung produces superior video, especially in low light conditions. However, I prefer my DDV-7000 because it is much smaller and because the files are much easier to work with. I would be interested in a CCD version of the camera (especially if it had optical zoom) - I believe samsung and sanyo have those - at outrageous prices. Still, a good idea whose time has not yet quite arived.
CameraShyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:47 PM   #5

camerasshyguy

you couldn't say it any better

and that is perfection at its best

I have another suggestion only if its easy to do

try placing 3aa batteries and mod it so you can juice up the camera

do you understand what I am saying? this will tell you that if the camera has any issues with the battery if it works fine you need a new battery

this is a way to see what items needs replacement.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote