Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:43 AM   #1

I hate to be redundant but I've narrowed it down to one of these 2 cameras. My main fear is that the Microtek will bleed the power out of the batteries even when not in use which is claimed by several people that have posted reviews around the internet.
Has anyone here that owns the Microtek experienced this?

Other than that, they seem about equal give or take a feature or two. This investment will leave me dry of cash for some time so it's pretty important I make the best decision possible.
Any last bits of advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:51 AM   #2

Lets see if i can explain this nicely to you death

2aa system are in these hybrids they hold a whopping 3 hours of record time garranteed

4aa system will hold no more than 1.5 hours maxed

a li-on will hold no more than 1 2/3 hours max as claimes 2 hours

a company claimed 4 hour battery time for a li-on, and even an upgraded battery to 5 hours this company was called Supacam

I think they ment to charge the battery not to record while using

you may always modify a set up to get double triple the record time I hope it helps you out in the long run parallel with series

Here is an example A cell phone claimes 14 days standby which I miss the old one I had

the new one claimes 3-5 days and an extended time if all on standby

now once the phone is used the batt life of it being used not the life of the battery will be under 2 hours

1 phone lsted 1 hour, another 1hr 20 minutes

now when you use the camera

turning on/off zooming and setting u features all will drain the cameras batery

if filming from one turn on you'll get a better batt life

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:22 PM   #3

I gotcha, there really is no definitive answer as to which camera is better and I am fully aware that more usage and options will draw more power, I'm an electronics technician, mechanic, luthier, engineer and do raw fabrication for anything from cars to instruments:roll:

Hence the reason I had to explain the difference between the LENS and the outter lens SHIELD/FILTER to you:-)

Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:25 PM   #4

I have seen some video from the DXG 506v from a friend and very nice it is too. In fact if I hadn't already bought the Aiptek 8800 I would have probably gone out and got this.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:19 PM   #5

death it may take a few times for me to get it though my thick head:Gas we understand these are hybrids thay make it so there are no moving lenses and shutters

go on the fly poin tand shoot thus leaving no attachments

now between the dxg or microtek its a prefrence dxgwill have a lot of choices manually inside forhue in pics not video and the micro formats anda choice between twwo batt ypes? let us know as its been your choice for a few weeks already....
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:05 PM   #6

It's all good man, when all is said and done you're still the expert here. I'm going to attempt to score a new MPVR off Ebay so wish me luck, otherwise I'll just pick up the microtek.

Either way, I'll come back once I actually have a camera and let everyone know this venture worked out for me:G
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:27 PM   #7

pay more than 108 shipped you better run to CC curcuitcity
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:23 PM   #8

I have owned 2ea of the Take it MV500's by microtek. Battery usage is BAD. They replaced them with new ones after I complained. They are still battery hogs. I guess the only way to get passed this is to wear a battery case or belt like they use in TV/Movie industry. Of course no viewfinder to site subject and save battery from LCD.

One other thing, when you turn it own it always comes up in MOVIE MODE STDY. Could this be problem, standbye mode still drains battery even when supposedly OFF.

Note: video/pictures seem to be fine.

Don't recommend Microtek MV500.

jerry

jwhill10 is offline   Reply With Quote