Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:35 PM   #11

as I was bbq i just said het lets see if I can get real close to the flame so I was about 1 foot maxaway I could have gone closer but you know somethin I had ~ on

I did not want to burn the lens

as for digital zoom like RGV said

I should have taken my mpvr on the boat rather my camcorder iget a wider angle shot as all shots are in a shortradius

so no zooming needed

only time you zoom is when you know you'll neverget that shot again

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:50 PM   #12

Daleb, can you confirm what firmware version you have in your current PVR if you haven't already taken it back?

Do those who have the DV8800 branded version have this problem as well?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:08 AM   #13

fishycomics,

Can you clarify something for me?

You said you noticed the distortion on the PVR video straight away. What I wasn't clear on, was whether you noticed it on the PVR you tried out from Bestbuy yourself and not just from my video clip. The reason being, is that yours was a later firmware than mine and I wasn't sure if you had noticed it on your own video. I cannot trust the youtube clips due to the recompression. I wonder what the difference is between the 3104 and 3200 firmwares if the results were the same.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:55 AM   #14

rgvcam Please repost the link again I see a lot of video and read alot of topics here and there

1 I wil reposta direct link when I get back homeagain.

when I Purchased mine I noticed it could not handle the video

has that prism effect between bars and windows anything that is lined it'll get colours in there.

you showed

1 the lake or waters grass looked pixaled but resolution was less.

2 you showed a flea market excellent coloring but lightadjustment

3you sohwed an animal or books cannot remember after that.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:19 AM   #15

It's ok, all I was asking, was if you noticed the effect in YOUR video and it seems you did, if I am reading you right. It seems that the 3200 firmware did nothing to fix that, which makes me wonder what they changed between 3104 and 3200. ie nothing it seems, perhaps just a minor bug fix. I think that they need to turn the in camera sharpening down.

I am interested if others with the PVR experience the same effect and if no, then what their firmware is and particularly those with the DV8800 to see if it is something that just affects the PVR branded version .
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:13 AM   #16

rgvcam:

I returned the PVR so I can not confirm the version of firmware. I am not sure how to do that anyway.

Prior to returning this PVR I recorded a test video and accidentally had the lens set on macro. The distortion was gone, but the video was slightly blurred. This may indicated that the sharpness of the image affects the video distortion.

DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:09 AM   #17

DaleB wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam:

I returned the PVR so I can not confirm the version of firmware. I am not sure how to do that anyway.

Prior to returning this PVR I recorded a test video and accidentally had the lens set on macro. The distortion was gone, but the video was slightly blurred. This may indicated that the sharpness of the image affects the video distortion.
No problem. Yes this sounds more and more like the in camera sharpening is set too high. This at least gives hope that it may be fixable in firmware. At least it's not so bad that it's unusable for what I tend to use it for, at least for the time being.

Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:01 PM   #18

yes is my answer too. if the company can do like others forexample Ispan 920 they have a sharpness but let me tell you

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"you do not want to each time go into the settings and use this

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the dxg has three modes cannot confirm if it is sharpness byt yes 3 vidsettings and 3 others as well.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:25 PM   #19

I would be quite happy if they simply reduced the sharpening back to the ISDV level.

I have sent another email via their form asking about this and that other people have this but still they do not reply. I don't want to call a fourth time as I always seem to get the same technician 'will' and I am sure he'll be pretty much fed up of me calling again! On the other hand, maybe that is the only way to get them to do something...

Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:04 PM   #20

Well I called Aiptek again and finally got another Tech Eric who wasn't obnoxious like the other one I was getting! LOL

He said they are aware of the issue with the PVR that I was describing and are waiting for Taiwan to fix the firmware. He also said they generally don't post it up on the website and to call in every so often say. He said give it another couple of weeks.

He said the problem affects the DV8800 as well since they ARE the same camera which I had already thought unlike the previous tech who seemed to think they were not the same camera(?!)

He also suggested emailing Taiwan to see if they will let me try out new firmware. I said I had already submitted something but may try again.

So I will try and keep everyone posted if I manage to get somewhere.