Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:59 AM   #1

I have a new Aiptek PVR and have noticed that the video playback has very noticable distortion (waves rolling over textured surfaces, stripes are distorted).

I also have an MPVR. It does not exhibit any of these problems.

I have returned the PVR to Best Buy, and they replaced it with a new one. It has the same problem.

Is this a characteristic of the new PVR, or a result of the higher megapixel sensor, or are all of the PVR cameras at Best Buy from the same lot number and have this problem?

This problem is very noticable. Does anyone else have this problem????

DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:41 AM   #2

Yes sadly mine does it also. My old IS-DV didn't do this either. I have been trying to get some new firmware from Aiptek to see if it can fix it, but it falls on deaf ears.

I did notice that the my gravelly tarmac drive would cause shimmer but I thought that as it affected only a small proportion of my shots that I could put up with it. The horizontal grill oln a bus on some sample video of mine shows this quite badly too. I didn't notice these until I had gone past the 14 day return date sadly so hope a firmware fix might resolve it although with Aiptek being unresponsive I may give up.

I wonder if the DV8800 suffers from this as well since it is essentially the same camera and has been out longer.

Hopefully it's a firmware problem as I can't see why a larger megapixel sensor should cause this problem. After all the Sanyo's also have a larger sensor.

Maybe those with the DV8800 branded version can verify it they have the same problem? If not then it's a good chance it's a firmware problem
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:24 AM   #3

:GLmao not at you daleB or rgvcam

i noticed that in a heartbeat. and if ou take note

aiptek Pvr reviewclick me

I may have mentioned this and i returned mine within that week.

My Only problem I have with the MPVR is when I record av in I have troubles with Win movie maker

I may either have to reload codecs to Win moviemaker

reload firmware into camera or delete old versions of win player as well

have loved the pvr not b/c of color not b/c of cmos maybe b/c it had sterio plugs over mono plugs

it recorderd sterio AV in.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:31 AM   #4

I have a feeling that Aiptek are not going to fix this anytime soon, so I may just look for another camera. It's a pity as the stills are fine.

Actually I did notice something was amiss at first, but due to short return time on camcorders (ike 14 days instead of 30 for camcorders) I missed the window to return it due to being busy with other things. ie I didn't get to test it as much as I should have. I guess I was also hoping a firmware fix might be coming, but I now realise Aiptek are not very responsive on these things.

In fact I may rebuy the older ISDV again , now it's under $100 as I took some great video with that camera.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:45 AM   #5

I think the problem with the PVR is exessive sharpening. This will produced exactly the effects seem with the PVR.

If I compare the video with my older IS-DV you can see the IS-DV is much softer and more pleasing to the eye.

When I get some time, I will see if I find some IS-DV shots to place on putfile.com. At the moment I can only find some of friends and family which I don't believe in putting up on websites such as putfile, especially in case I lose the ability to delete them!

Fishycomics, Did you say there was someone from Aiptek who is on this board?

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:02 AM   #6

No Rgvcam there is no one from Aiptek here? but who knows .

I do have a clip and it wil be a long 7 min's its of the Baltimore md harbour.

1 MPVr takes a nice video

2 the IS-DV will have a softer video which I agree with RGVcam. I had taken these videos and did my review in aug of 2005. and then returned the camera due to a pixalation, re purchased in winter for 89.00 or so and returned due to defect, now re Purchased a stolen one from a someone in Texas for a few dollars

:G got a great low price on a used one and will keep in my hybrid collection is there a way to find its firmware out I will play around with it to see

repurchase one off ebay for far less they are up again but hard to come by.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:13 AM   #7

well gonna have to deal with me rollerblading the streets a little in baltimore on a saturday with the IS-Dv

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP0002-43-31

on the harbours water front on rollerblades

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP0004-57
Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:49 PM   #8

I purchased the P-DVR (back of the package Specs say MPVR?) from Circuit City which they had on sale fro $99.

When I use the zoom-in, video is not sharp as normal view. Pretty much unusable, Is this normal?
APK-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:10 PM   #9

absolutely did you read the box, and the instructions 4x digital zoom!

digital zoom is not optical it is an enhancement that the camera electronicaly does and causes Pixalation.

the only model at the moment that seems better in digital zoom never said best, is the IS-DV2 they manage to perfect the digital zoom making it a ceareer shot called smart zoom and this can be located in the Is-DV2 review the video clip

I do wonder if the Zoom-dv6 has the same Smart zoom

Now here is a lil teaser for RGVCam and others I happened to finsh my Fishing andwill post some vid if I did get some b4 the battery expired on the JVC

But I did manage to grab my MPVR and BBQ'ed and see how close I came to the flames

As I have some other shots my White fence was dark, the Hybrid said its brght I'll pick up the dark details sure enough it did very Pleased...........

here is the vid 35 secs sorry forPutfile decreasing the res

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP0035-14

for the hell of it here's a small clip as my batt's were exhausted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVspW6F2qrM
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:53 PM   #10

APK-1 wrote:
Quote:
I purchased the P-DVR (back of the package Specs say MPVR?) from Circuit City which they had on sale fro $99.

When I use the zoom-in, video is not sharp as normal view.* Pretty much unusable, Is this normal?*
Yes that's normal. Digital Zoom just expands a smaller area of pixels to the same view, so inevitably you get the effect that you saw. So basically don't bother with the digital zoom, it's a gimmick.

Fishycomics, I can't view any of the video files yet as I'm still away from the house using my Pocket PC to check in on this forum LOL

I'll have a look at these later on.