Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:55 PM   #1

Aiptek Zoom DV:

Has anyone used this camera? How is the video? Does it have the rainbow distortion problem that thePVR has when recording video?

DaleB
DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:13 PM   #2

I would be interested in this as well.

Moorqueen has this model and could perhaps try videoing some textured surfaces and close horizontal lines to see if the effect is there.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:46 PM   #3

I returned it. I didn't notice any rainbow problems but what I didn't like was that the camcorder was virtually useless indoors and by indoors I mean an area like inside of your house. It recorded alright outside and indoors with enormous amounts of fluorescent lighting. But inside even on a sunny day it was near pitch black.
Moorqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:42 PM   #4

That's very odd as I have just a two strip fluorescent in my Kitchen area and the PVR records just fine. Certainly not enormous amounts of lighting in anycase. I wonder if you had a bad one or they really screwed up on the Zoom DV. I guess we need to wait until someone else chimes in with their experience.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:58 PM   #5

natural eye sees better than a camcorder hmmm glad our army perfected night vision:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:53 PM   #6

As I mentioned before, my Aiptek Zoom DV has the WORST low light performance of all my cameras, even my first - a Mustek DV3500. Either its a bad batch or a bad design. The poor indoor performance discouraged me from testing further. At the moment, the camerais at the back of a closet with my Mustek DV-5500 ( I hide my bad purchases).
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:30 PM   #7

Yes it seems Aiptek have messed up with their latest releases. It's a shame as I thought the Aiptek IS-DV was very good indeed at the time. All it needed were a few tweaks here and there. In fact I don't know why they didn't carry on the shape to a newer model instead of the poorer IS-DV2 as to be honest I prefered it's shape even to the MPVR/PVR/DV8800 models. It fit my hand perfectly and the ergonomics of the controls was great. It really was a miniature camcorder. You could even rest it on the dashboard of the car :-)

I had high hopes for their newest models but so far they are not impressive although to be fair, the PVR certainly isn't terrible and if they manage to fix the over sharpening problem with new firmware, my faith in them will be restored.

My ideal Aiptek would be the IS-DV with a bigger LCD, the 5MP sensor and more controls over the video such as sharpening and bitrate like they have in other cameras. Oh and the 720x480 video mode of some of the newer models would have been a nice extra too. Of course it would be nice to have autofocus eventually.

Seems Aiptek have a habit of breaking things when they start tweaking an otherwise decent device!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:21 PM   #8

Business meeting:idea:

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 8:12 AM   #9

The Zoom DV has just started being sold a Target for $199. Just thought I'd tell ya. :-)
ELLA GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:11 PM   #10

I'll only consider it, if they have a promotion for half price which is not out of the question, as it happened with the IS-DV2 briefly at a local Target. I also hope it doesn't suffer from the video distortion issues of the PVR.