Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 22, 2006, 1:32 PM   #1

Hi everyone

My birthday is coming up in a few days, and I've decided that I want an Aiptek Hybrid camera. Is there a big difference between the PVR and MPVR? which is better? I saw the difference in pic quality of the MPVR and PVR. How is it possible that the MPVR takes better looking pictures and videos than the PVR if the PVR is newer?

All help is appreciated
ELLA GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:10 PM   #2

Because it seems they messed up the firmware on the PVR. The still photos are fine on the PVR. For the moment, you will be better off getting the MPVR.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:15 PM   #3

Will the PVR's firmware be fixed anytime soon because its actually cheaper than the MPVR.
ELLA GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 5:58 PM   #4

I would never buy something on the premise of they might release new firmware in the future. Go with what works now. I am confident they will eventually fix it, but they'll probably take their time about it.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:33 PM   #5

I never knew there was a firmware for the MPVR how I found out about ths was by trial and error . like our members finding the site

How did you find the firmware? that is my question to you?

I found out by calling up aiptek and saying I have some problems with the camcorder not synching. they suggested a firmware ?

wonder about my 2 mega olympus now thats like 10 years ago Lol
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:28 PM   #6

While not as old as yours, I still have my 1.3MP D340R Olympus Camera that used those now obsolete Smartmedia cards (which I am sure yours must have used as well). Maximum size it could take was 16MB each! Serial port only and no fancy features such as movie mode or manual controls but I remember people being amazed at the clarity of the photos it produced. We don't use it now, but we kept it as a backup camera and also partly because I can't bear to part with it :lol: After buying this camera, there was no going back to film for me and my film cameras have been gathering dust ever since.

Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:39 AM   #7

I own the 490z and owned the 360 is it 1.3 with no features almost at all.

I love my olympus a garanteeed 400 plusshots flash and all in photos takes 15 secs video no sound and1 minute low res no sound

takes yes that smart card 64 meg max, got a 128meg in there and never showed after 9999 in pics.

but takes 1499 shots on a card.

I had about 8 cards now down to my last, but my pc reader that reads the card is giving out LOL and was new . I take snaps of machro and anything i need professionally done with stills.

I will buy olympus on my next digital and hope to get a AA batt system

I want 10x opt andvid with soundat 640 and 30-60 jpeg frames or mpeg

but not quicktime as it caters to APPLE or mac

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:35 AM   #8

The problem with Smartmedia cards is that they had no built in controller unlike SD and CF cards, so if your camera was made before they released a higher capacity, often it couldn't handle it which is why mine was limited to 16mb even though they eventually went up to 128mb. I had the option of sending my camera away to Olympus to upgrade it to a whopping 32mb but didn't think it was worth the cost for what I felt was a minor upgrade even then.

That has been my biggest annoyance with digital cameras in that most of them still use the quicktime mjpeg format which is difficult to convert unless you buy the pro version of Quicktime. There wasn't any freeware that could handle quicktime except a plugin for tmpgenc so I could at least convert to mpeg-1. I recently found another freeware progam that handles quicktime called super. although it seems very buggy as the output doesn't seem to play. It handles video conversion to .3gp for my phone fine though