Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:52 AM   #11

Hello, Im sorry i have been seeing all this firmware talk. I have the Black PVR which is the DV8800 i believe. When i record some vid and play it back i guess i dont have a prob with the audio and vid in sync. They seem to be on point. Is that what your talking bout guys and gals?
guitardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:58 AM   #12

PVr upgrade with aMPVr why oneshould leave alone see video

MPVR upgrade to a PVRVideo click me

Attempting a newer upgrade may lead to alters of the hybrid, and only attempt if you have the orginal defaut software, as my camera is now back to 1501 all others with different defaults will lose the default, and may not change or downgrade

1 MPVR , now a PVR

2 still resolution vga,3,5,8 meg

3 dsc flicker now a red

4quick start up

5 faster shutter

and more

The truth be told?

stills are solid pixalation and have hardely any adjustment to light a monitor lit shows total darkness.

dsc nice to see a different color

quick start nice to use camera faster, even with movie start up in the off it is still the same speed fo rme.

video improvement two layer video filters, hue, saturation, light adjustement etc.

video ligt is darker Just like the PVR, grainy video

so if you are attempting to do the Unthinkable Please make sure you have the default software

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:52 PM   #13

im not to sure what im looking for in that vid...how can i find what firmware i have fishy? Ummm...that vid was it just better vid quality between firmwares?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:36 PM   #14

Instructions are there now

Step One have camera at hand, turn on camera and

1. hit the "MODE" button to display the features camera and go to "PLAYBACK" you must have playback displayed

2. hold the center "play" button on the screen, and the "MENUE button, , Press both of them at the same time, do not let go.. within 3-5 secs the words will display

My camera shows

FW 1203 upgraded to F/W 1707

HW 00upgraded to HW 00

this camera was Purchased on sept 2005.

Steps to loading software to the camera.........................

Not responsable for the action of the software.

step 1 take a sd card and Format it to fat Format by pc ( do not format the card to fat32 and do not use mmc card)

step 2 Copy attachment " V38main1501_upgrade.elf " to sd card

step 3 Insert the sd card to v38 and turn on the camera (hould say insert the sd card with the v38 software)

step 4 Press the " MODE " button to enter the Main meu window

step 5 press "MP# PLAY BUTTON (on the panel) and "RECORD" button together.... for 3 secs to start the F/W upgrade proceedure".

this will be showing the CAMERA as the main highlighted picture

step 6 The LED will glimmer for a few secs ( about 30 secs)( red dv/dsc light

Step 7 when the process is complete, the camera will turn off automatically. Follw the how to check firmware above to see if new software loaded

Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:04 PM   #15

Ok thanks I just tried it. It says i have

Firmware : 3104

HW:01

so if i upgrade what do i get that is different? Better video or something?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:07 PM   #16

Well bad news I'm afraid. The video hasn't changed one bit. Just look at this shot my neighbours house to see how bad it is. It was exactly the same before the upgrade.

http://media.putfile.com/PVR3501

It seems the camera gets stuffed by detail in a scene.

As to whether the audio sync has been fixed, I would have no idea, as it didn't occur all the time anyway.

The still images come out fine (as they did before the upgrade)

http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/image/67717982/original

It seems to only affect the video compression. If firmware doesn't fix it, then that implies the MPEG encoding may be in a hardware chipset in which they may have a bad batch.

Maybe this is why they are so coy about a firmware fix. It may not be a firmware problem in which case I will have to either give up on this camera or force them to fix it under warranty.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:13 PM   #17

ha ha ha I guess I made a boo boo i loaded up the pvr into my Is-dv and no more Is-dv Ihave no power

now I can email ray and say no improvement thanks RGVcam check out my vid when you get a chance I can upgrade the MPVR to a PVr 8 meg so I would not atempt other firmware at all into the camera. I may have to Pull a switch now at bestbuy lol
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:17 PM   #18

You'd think the firmware would have a header that the camera would check before it went ahead with the upgrade!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:21 PM   #19

well I did want to test out what would happen? so I guess it is all my faul. wonder if there will be a way to reload or zapp the camera back to working order? will load a neew topic. best be warned now than later
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:59 PM   #20

Well if the uploader program is part of the very same rom you are replacing then it's stuffed.

I had the same problem with a Sharp Zaurus PDA. Although I am very careful, a ROM upgrade somehow got corrupted and the only way to bring it to life was for Sharp themselves to reflash it. Never again will I buy a Sharp PDA. They said it would cost $60. It ended up costing over $100 for a simple reflash. What a RIPOFF! You can get a Pocket PC LCD screen replaced for not much more and that's the most expensive part of a PDA.