Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:25 PM   #1

I have an mpvr, and was wondering a cuople things.

Say you have an external usb connnected hard drive, would you be able to view pics/vids off of that if you were able to connect it with a usb port converter to make it sizable to the usb port on the mpvr? (thus enabling it to have in effect any amount of memory at least for playtback purposes)

Is there any way to record live imagery from a computer monitor like you do from the tv?

nay help would be appreciated, thanks.
rockstar35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:32 AM   #2

rockstar35

Welcome aboard,

1. av in will alloww you to record any,ANY type of information into the hybrid.

You'll have to have a caption card with the proper rca connection, if you do not then I advise you to visit,

http://www.free-screen-capture.com/

A screen recorder, records to avi , or yahoo, and type in screen recorder. I found that yesterday and was a simple tool to use it paistes a icon in the task bar and a shortcut, you click either and choose a tpye of caption you want still vod etc. and screensize as well next question.

2 Usb port of a HD into the hybrid if it is a readable signal that is telling thecamera I have audio, and video it will work, if it is a signal of binary and other wave or signal it is worth trying, and may not work.

So basically the hybridwill accept any type of set top, but may not act as a O.S. system. ifyou get it let us know.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3

thanks, i doubt the external hard drive would work, alhtough it would be great if they were to ad it on, then you could keep dozens of movies on it and watch them on long trips or record hours and hours of video

Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:32 PM   #4

that is why you shoulduse the arc convert the video and compres the file

2 hou movie would be a good gis at 640 compress down it'll be 100 meg or so.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:25 PM   #5

It would be a bit unweildy to say the least and then there is the problem of power consumption. You need to stock up on batteries for both the Aiptek MPVR and the external drive.

Personally i think you'd be better off with a cheap dedicated unit with a built in hard drive. If that's too expensive, just buy a portable DVD player that plays Video CD's and make your own. The screen would also be bigger and more comfortable too.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:24 PM   #6

yeah probably unless you had the power adapter, but it would be expandable and could record much more video if you really wanted to, probably unneccessary tho
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:19 PM   #7

1. you're talking about hours of playback

2. we know you'll need more than 1 battery to watch a 2 hour clip, if the clip dies in theMiddle then I believe you'll be ffw to the scene if you are lucky.

3. best bet is to modd a AA system, load your vid to arc convertor and even cutthe file into a few clips movie 1 is 2 hours I'll make it 4 30 mins or even 8 15 mins, if I had one battery

If I had a modded batt and the time I'll either have a 12vdc adaptor and still chose to either play in full or cut thefiles.

Arc will cut a 640x480 down to 320x240, and chose fps @29.7 sound can also be cut down a drop, and I am sure a 1 gig card that will record 48 min's or a movie of other file source be raly small.

I remember correctly I saved a movie and it was around 2-4 gig it was around 100 meg or so.

will experiment again when time permited.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:23 AM   #8

well I have been playing with a 1 hour vid at 1 meg, to 166 meg, to 3.3 gig to 6 gig to 65 meg

I am working on it to play in hhe hybrid

1. I was missing a codec, so now I am trying one more time.

2. I'll see what arc sized the file to in a few min's

If i, and I had already gotten a 1 hr vid to work from 3 gig down to 100meg or less, then you can do just like I mentioned

modd a battery, and watch loads of videos as long as you have the time to sit down by the pc.....................

Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:34 AM   #9

yep 100 meg most sure i can even compress down more

1 hour 5 min movie 10 hours of movie not bad right?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:27 PM   #10

I am not into watching movies on devices as I don't travel often enough to make it worthwhile but I once compressed Ice Age down to 100mb to fit on my SD card so I could watch it on my Pocket PC. It was quite watchable too. It's quite surprising how far you can compress movies and still end up with them being quite viewable.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote