Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:46 PM   #21

3501 is the latest

you can post that info to the firmware section. as well if you like
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:11 PM   #22

twiztid frame,

Have you noticed any video distortion yet? Try and film anything with a lot of close horizontal lines like car grills, exhaust vent grills or the side of a house with light colored brickwork. Also scenes with a lot of detail such as a gravel drive etc.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:36 PM   #23

added info any white object as well.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:55 PM   #24

I need to get a memory card first b4 I do any real filming. I think I am going to get a 1 gig but where do you think the best/cheapest placeI canget one from is?
twiztid frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:03 PM   #25

I get mine from newegg.com
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:29 AM   #26

I gather we're talking about the 8800 here, right?
Diyabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:55 AM   #27

Yes the PVR is the same as the DV8800. It was given a different name, presumably so that Bestbuy could claim still 'BESTBUY EXCLUSIVE!' even if a rival store started selling the DV8800 as well.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:20 AM   #28

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there were a problem with the MPEG4 encoder, wouldn't files recorded from TV-IN suffer the same flaws as video recorded through the lens? On my PVR, recordings from TV look much better than home movies: even in the most dimly lit scenes recorded from TV, black areas are solid black with no grain and edges are sharp. If I understand how the thing works (which I may well not!), it seems more likely to be a CMOS hardware problem than a glitch in the encoding process.

That said, I'm still petty satisfied with the PVR. As long as the natural lighting's good enough, since otherwise the picture gets very grainy -- hence the Night Mode setting. It also takes great still images in low light without the flash, something my Kodak Easyshare still camera is hopeless at.

Diyabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:46 AM   #29

Diyabolo

Could you post your firmware version and the date you purchased it? I want to see if it's a recent phenomenon as we have only had this model in the USA fairly recently.

If it was a problem with the CMOS sensor then still images would show the same problem and they don't. A video is just a series of still images. Sharpening etc is done by the firmware and the parameters may well be different for video than for the still images. It doesn't completely rule out a hardware problem but makes it less likely and that I have been told by Aiptek that they believe it is firmware as well. But read my next post on the status of what they are doing.

I noticed that when I recorded from the tv and played back on the tv, the video wasn't that great and appeared more pixelated than usual. I haven't done extensive tests on recording input as I didn't buy the device for this. I bought it purely for video recording.

So this is why I need those with PVR/DV8800 to post their firmware versions and if they notice the same video distortion.

Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:48 AM   #30

I got an email from Aiptek USA stating that they have been doing extensive testing across several models so they can send an indepth priority report to the Headquarters in Taiwan. They said they plan to finish this week. It's with no doubt, going to be a slow process but then it's better they take their time and fix it properly.