Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:30 AM   #31

rgv,

You're right about the still images -- so we'll just have to believe Aiptek, even though if I were them I wouldn't be quick to admit if it was a hardware problem. :lol: I'm glad they seem to be taking it seriously.

My firmware is 3104 and I purchased it from Aiptek's shop in mid-August.

What you're saying about the TV recording doesn't match up with anything I've seen, so maybe there are differences according to when & where purchased.
Diyabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:25 AM   #32

Of course they won't admit it is a hardware problem at first, but its pointless trying to exchange the device if the replacement is affected as well. Therefore we have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Aiptek USA are really just a distributor and do not have control over the hardware or firmware except to pass on customer complaints and testing they may perform themselves. Why they did not pick this up is anyones guess. Maybe they did not see the need to duplicate the testing that was already done in Taiwan?

It does concern me though, that they are still selling them in Bestbuy and online when they have been made aware of the problem. I guess they figure that most people won't notice or care since it is not noticeable if you are just using it to film friends and family.
Judging by the response to this thread, their conclusion would not surprise me. It's really only when you begin filming outside that you notice it, and even then only on certain objects.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:49 PM   #33

rgvcam,

I went outside and panned across some gravel as a test and got what I think is the sharpness problem. Close up in macro-focus the detail is fine, but at a distance of a few feet, there are pink and blue blotches all over. Check it out:

http://download.yousendit.com/D476FE073E93D69F

Just for fun I also recorded a scene off TV where people are talking and moving in front of vertical blinds:

http://download.yousendit.com/8848F8EE72A2D48A

I think it looks great - not TiVo quality but definitely SVCD.

Diyabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:39 PM   #34

1 your gavel shot is too fast for pann. it is fine

the tv shot is fine
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:15 PM   #35

Yes, as fishycomics said, your video clip of the driveway is being panned a little too fast. Here is a clip of my driveway:

http://media.putfile.com/Driveway-24

You can see how it 'shimmers'. Also there is blotchyness at the top.

By the way, a great choice for a video clip. A touch of Frost with one of my favorite comedic actors David Jason! I remember him in Only Fools and horses, which was a classic Comedy.:-)

http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/pvrtest
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:24 PM   #36

I think I have worked out what is causing the video distortion in the PVR. It seems to be a case of a fault in the resizing algorithm. The information from the CCD is much larger than needed for the video, so it needs rescaling down to 640x480 and it looks like this could be the source of the distortion.

Remember this video clip of the side of the house that I took?

http://media.putfile.com/PVR3104

Initially I had noticed that the effect on the house was also showing up in the LCD even though the resulting still images come out fine, so I wondered if it was merely a fault with the video resizing algorithm in the camera. What I did was take the original 5MP still image produced by the Aiptek PVR and played around with it in a photo editor. This editor has two methods to resize. One is just a basic resizing and the other uses various resampling algorithms. I found that if you just use the basic resize then the resulting smaller image exhibits exactly the same problem as you see in the video. If you use the resampled resizing then the photo is as you would expect, just a smaller version of the original without any distortion.

You can see this effect by looking at the following three images in sequence:

Aiptek PVR Original:

Aiptek PVR Resized (Notice the distortion!):

Aiptek PVR Resampled (No visible distortion):

Just to make sure, I then took a photo using my Minolta Dimage F300 camera. This is also a 5MP camera, so makes a good comparison. The photo, as expected and like the original Aiptek photo, didn't show any problems with distortion. I then did the same resizing and resampling as with the Aiptek and the results were the same as you can see in the next series of attached photos:

Minolta Original:

Minolta Resized (Again the distortion!):

Minolta Resampled
(No visible distortion):

So it would seem this backs up the problem being in the firmware and that the resizing is more the culprit rather than the sharpening.

I then took somes photos at the VGA setting since it would be logical to assume that the same resize algorithm might tbe used for the stills. The effect is still there to a certain degree, but certainly not quite as bad as in the video. They may use slightly different methods when resizing still images as with video.

I sent this very same information to the tech at Aiptek to see if it backs up what they may have found.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:49 AM   #37

your Pics are X's rgv. does it take time to load up?

1. these are video's in a animated avi format at the 640 x 480 res

A. the grain you are getting, when you are on gravel, Saturateion, and sharpness over powering.

B. the shutter, allowing light in and sensing the object to/from the camera

C. and wash whites not being absorbed causing no depth.....

all in all it is the sensor , it is being pushed way beyond its limits, Aiptek Must tweak itdown. way down.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:58 AM   #38

Fishycomics,

They were working perfectly yesterday.

There must be a glitch with this forum because there isn't even an 'X' showing. I went to edit and there is nothing there at all. What happened to the link to the pictures? Were the photo links removed?!

I just redited and added them back again.

They appear fine to me. Like I say they were there lastnight and working fine.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:19 PM   #39

what server are you using?

I use imageshack.us

I will not touch a still or remove it. but say keep in the guidelines so we can read w/o scrolling side by side.......

the house shot got some nice design to it that is the camera playing tricks on us........
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:43 PM   #40

I use pbase.com but that wasn't the problem. The links were not physically there and I know they were since I always double check, once by preview and secondly after I actually post it, so something was going on.

I think it may also have something to do with the Firefox browser as I have noticed that this forum site does not like browsers other than internet explorer.

I agree about the scrolling, as I hate that too, which is why I always post down the page. It also helps if I happen to view it on my PDA too :lol:

Well it doesn't matter as long as you can see them now!

Yes it looks like it is Firefox that is causing theproblem as I just noticed that if I use Internet explorereven my previous posts start displaying an 'x' so I guess I will just have to make sure I useIE in furture...