Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:42 PM   #1

I have been in contact with Aiptek along with fishycomics and they acknowledge there is a problem with the PVR video and are working on it. I have said that I will help them by sending my video samples that I have captured.

I have posted here, in case others also have some video samples they want me to send. A link to a site such as putfile.com that does not compress the video drastically (as youtube.com appears to do) would be a start, but even better is if you upload it to a file sharing service so I can send them the link. This way they will be able to download the original .asf file to examine.

I will let you know what the final determination is. They are currently investigating and so far it seems like it should be a firmware problem although they can't at this stage totally rule out hardware. Unforunately they can't set a timeframe as to when this will be fixed until they find out what is causing the problem.

Rest assured, they *are* working on it.

You can either post to this thread or PM me with the info.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:05 PM   #2

I hope they get this fixed soon I just picked one up off ebay.
twiztid frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:08 PM   #3

ebay Is a Junkyard for yard sales hope you get it nopened andsealed? wish you luck

if you do happ to recive Post your Firmware and let us know Welcome aboard
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:43 PM   #4

Yea I got it new in box and when it gets here ill let you know the firmware on it, and thanks for the welcome b4 I found this site I was going to get an panasonic d-snap SV-AV50.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5

It probably won't be fixed straight away as Aiptek USA is not autonomous in regards to the firmware. They have to communicate with the headquarters in Taiwan who then have to alter and release any new firmware back to the USA. As you can imagine, this slows things down a bit. I have been told they are confident it's a firmware problem though.

The still image capabilities appear to be fine though, so you can still use it in that capacity. The problem just seems to be with the software MPEG4 encoder.

Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:14 AM   #6

I would have chosen aIsonic snap or panasonicsnao, over the MPVr. but when the snaop was out it was a lot of $$$ and had nothing to offer , now it's down in $$ and has more to offer.

1 Again you said you Just won an Auction? and you believe it's new? when it arrives? you'll, then tell us ifit's opened or closed? Everyone states Brand new. never opened but it is?sorry................

2. I am not saying it is a good or bad thing.

I do like and love the camera, but, why register a product where a pc can save an email address and when a problem arises from a member or phone , Aiptek can say we are aware of a situation, and will be fixing . stay tuned for an udate, click send everry one is notified, that would be support to me but hey too toooo simple right?

Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:43 AM   #7

If it wasn't for the video problem of the PVR I would have said that you made a much better choice as the SV-AV50 can only record MPEG4 at 320x240/30fps in it's highest mode according to Panasonics manual that I pulled from their website, but then it appears to be quite an old model. All the current Aiptek devices record at 640x480/30fps.

I once borrowed a Panasonic SV-AV100 which was a slighlty older model. It too could only record 320x240/30fps MPEG4 although it was able to record at 640x480/30fps if you used the MPEG2 mode. The disadvantage of course was that you could only fit 10 minutes on a 512MB Card and you needed a highspeed card as well. It could also only take still images at 640x480!

The current Panasonic models are much better but they are also vastly more expensive than the Aipteks and even make the Sanyo Xacti's look much better value too.

You may want to look at the Aiptek IS-DV as I used to have that model and records very good video for it's price.

Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:17 PM   #8

Well if it does get here and its broken worst come to worst ill switch it out at best buy. Im not really worried about the video problems b/c im not going to be using the video on it much. The reason I got it is it takes video (even tho its not that great), takes pics, is a voice recorder, and what im going to be using it for most of the time plays mp3's. I work on trucks and I wanted something like an ipod but then I found out I could get an all in one cameria for theipods price.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:45 PM   #9

If that was thecase i would have recommended something else.

battery life MP3 or camcorder feature 1hr.45 min's max.

Ipod or simular up to 24 hrs play the nano.

the IS-DV2 is a 2aa system 3 hr max, MP# possably 10 more min's

Mustek dv4500 3 hours plus 2aa syste

DXG305 or 506v 4aaa system 2 plus hours with seperate controls.

Is Ebay bestbuy:Ggood luck:idea:
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:16 PM   #10

Im not really worried about battery life ill get another battery, and what I ment about best buy is buy one new at best buy switch the cameras and take it back the next day so I have a new working pvr. I have looked at many diffrent options and I dont like to be criticized about what ive chosen thanks.