Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 4, 2006, 4:17 PM   #11

For that price, $275, you can go to Circuit City and buy the Samsung NV3. All metal, MP3 player, MPEG movies, auto focus, 3x optical zoom, real CCD, giant screen, Optical image stabilization, not this fake stuff, ect. Just saying.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:14 PM   #12

An Ebay buyer in the UK just paid 299 GBP (571 USD) for one. :blah:
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:02 AM   #13

I hope you have better luck with the one you're after.

As for the NV3, the Digilife has a remote, high resolution video at a faster frame rate, and video-in. Not bad, I'd say. If it had an optical zoom, it would be very difficult for me to choose between them. As it is, I think I'd have to have both:-)
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:00 PM   #14

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
For that price, $275, you can go to Circuit City and buy the Samsung NV3. All metal, MP3 player, MPEG movies, auto focus, 3x optical zoom, real CCD, giant screen, Optical image stabilization, not this fake stuff, ect. Just saying.
I have to say that according to dcresource.com the video isn't that hot and seeing their sample I have to agree. It just looks noisier than it should be.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:18 AM   #15

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
I have to say that according to dcresource.com the video isn't that hot and seeing their sample I have to agree. It just looks noisier than it should be.
Under the best conditions, the Digilife DDV-920 takes better video than the Samsung i6 (I have both). In dim light, the 920 is hands-down much superior. In daylight, the 920 suffers from "ccd sensor bright lines", occasional miscalculation of the type of light, lack of autofocus, no optical zoom, sometimes jerky footage due to the stabilization algorithm, and center overexposure due to the small lens. Because it compresses more than the 920, the i6's video is less sharp.

I suspect the DDV-5120 would have the same problems as the 920 except that I hope they use the 720x480/30fps capability to allow even greater detail/less compression in 640x480. I suspect the NV3's video is no better than the i6's, because doing 720x480 at 20fps probably means they are stuck with the same mbps throughput.

There are other factors that affect what clips you get, such as the i6 being much faster to get ready for use, and with autofocus and optical zoom. Or the advantages of the 920's folding screen, video-in and a remote. But it's twice as big as the i6. After all these differences settle out, I use the 920 indoors, the i6 outdoors.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:42 AM   #16

All of the new NV cameras are noisy apparently, I took a close look at the NV7 myself. They are victims of the "megapixel race" where they are jamming teeny high pixel count sensors in these things. The NV3 sure looks and feels about a million or so times cooler than the digilife though, plus it is half the size or less, you have to factor that in ha.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:30 PM   #17

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
All of the new NV cameras are noisy apparently, I took a close look at the NV7 myself. They are victims of the "megapixel race" where they are jamming teeny high pixel count sensors in these things. The NV3 sure looks and feels about a million or so times cooler than the digilife though, plus it is half the size or less, you have to factor that in ha.
What you mean? I'm still waiting with baited breath for my first 20 Megapixel Pocket Camera :G:G
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:26 PM   #18

Ebay auctions of the DDV-5120A are not going well. Of the dozen or so I've watched, only one had a bid and went for $249.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:54 PM   #19

I can only see one and it has a buy it now price of $650 :? Considering it's mediocre spec, you'd have to be an idiot to buy this. It makes the Sanyo HD1 on amazon.com a bargain by comparison! For a start it doesn't even have stereo or even optical zoom ,let alone HD resolution! Then there is '12MP super enhanced high resolution'! Talk about deliberately trying to deceive people! This makes it sound like a true 12MP. Of course they cover their backs by saying it's interpolated but only in the specifications.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:24 AM   #20

best thing one can do in a Yard sale is ask the owner to test it out first?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote