Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:34 PM   #21

I bought the DDV-5120A and I'm not having very good luck with it. When I record video, the microphone recording level is EXTREMELY low. Unless someone is right next to the camcorder and yelling, ya can't hear a thing. I thought maybe the unit was broken, so I mailed it back to the Supacam (www.supacam.com).

They sent me out a different one, but I'm having the same problem. I dunno if they actually tested it before they sent it to me or what.. I'm going to call them tomorrow about a refund. :-/
Jaybop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:09 PM   #22

Jaybop wrote:
Quote:
I bought the DDV-5120A and I'm not having very good luck with it. When I record video, the microphone recording level is EXTREMELY low. Unless someone is right next to the camcorder and yelling, ya can't hear a thing. I thought maybe the unit was broken, so I mailed it back to the Supacam (http://www.supacam.com).

They sent me out a different one, but I'm having the same problem. I dunno if they actually tested it before they sent it to me or what.. I'm going to call them tomorrow about a refund. :-/

Yes its rather sad when you buy what could be a great device only to find out that it has a major flaw in it. It makes you wonder if they test the prototypes properly before placing into production doesn't it? Just like my PVR!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:38 PM   #23

The Digilive DDV-S670 and 7000/720 also suffered from very insensitive microphones. It sounds like they're using the same microphone system. Which surprises me because anyone who uses those cameras at all, such as production testers, couldn't help but be aware of this.

The only solace for you is that at least forums such as this let you tell other people about it. Thanks.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:11 PM   #24

When they carry a 'flaw' into a newer model it makes you begin to wonder if they have some serious design problem in their chipset that they can't fix without serious investment. They then still need to get some sort of return on it, so they try and work around it long enough to sell just enough to get some return. They figure, we'll just hide it by reducing the gain low enough that it won't be a problem except of course you won't be able to record much at all :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:19 PM   #25

Could be. I was thinking that the 5120, like the S670, doesn't have much room inside, and a microphone small enough to fit inside might not work very well. But surely the 7000/720 has enough space.

This is the same as car dashboards. Surely there is one layout that works best, but the stylists, marketing dept. and accountants all have a big say in new models, overriding the ergonomics people. So we keep getting cars and cameras that have stupid aspects that have long since been fixed on prior models.

The big problem with the hybrids is that in general you can't have a look at one before buying it, and no one (except us) posts detailed specs. So you get stuck with poor features, like this weak microphone issue.

I just have to say here that virtually all aspects of the Samsung i6 that I was unaware of prior to purchase, were positive ones. It is small like the 5120, but has an inferior microphone system to the DDV-920. The only hybrids I've had good mics on are the Aiptek DV4500, Digilife DDV-810, and DDV-920.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:09 PM   #26

does anyone have a video sample to test the quality? thanks

cx
cristianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:46 AM   #27

Supacam DVI appears to be the same camera as the digilife 5120a.
They are selling theirs for $328 with a warranty, so theres no reason to go on ebay just to save $50.

Ive ordered two of the cameras from www.supacam.com, the first one actually came with digilife brand on it. Apparently digilife is an OEM camera manufacturer.
voss749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:47 PM   #28

voss749 wrote:
Quote:
Supacam DVI appears to be the same camera as the digilife 5120a.
The Ispan DDV-950 is also the same camera.

On there hybrids, its pretty hard to figure out who makes the camera and who just add their brand name.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:44 PM   #29

I'm not sure of the exact relationships, but I think a company called "Life Technologies" makes the cameras and sells them as the Digilife brand. They sell in batches to whomever buys enough to stick their own name on them. "Ispan" also comes into it, but I'm not sure how they fit in.

The Digilife DDV-670, DDV-S670 and DDV-720 have shown up under very many other names. Supacam sells the Digilife DDV-810 or 910 as a "DVX".
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:44 AM   #30

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...7/17820/40.htm

this is the main source to all the hybrids out on the market. check it out. been in here since dy one and early 2000.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote