Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:29 PM   #31

:Gi have one..

from what i can see.. 720X480 looks exactly like 640X480 except ppl are hrm.. kinda fatter n shorter on tv :lol:the movie file is bigger than 640X480 (alot bigger).

i quite like this dv but there isn't a shortcut key for adjusting ev+ or - which i find it annoying (or... maybe there is but i'm just too dumb to see it )... as taking the picture needs to manually adjust these settings for the best result.. in other words, most of the picture i took without adjusting stuff turns out pretty bad, but at least it takes the picture instantly when the button is pressed:-)...

for the tv-in recording function, sadly it could only record at QVGA which is kinda crappy looking (320X240), i tried recording few dvds n tv programs, and hrm.. the file recorded also has pretty bad framerate, can see the picture jerks... but still an interesting feature.

for the mp3 and the game part i really really don't care that much, it's just funny because their offical advertisement(from the annualend of the year computer exhibition inTaiwan)said this multifunction device is also a game machine.. and i'm thinking "whoa .. tetris... yay....what an awesome game machine" and i doubt you can manually put games in it.

but most important flaw about digilife's cam (at least the ones i got) was that while transferring large files (orlots of files)from DV toPC (or PC to DV) the DV randomly disconnects the usb link which interrupts the file transfer. i've made another thread regarding this problem (i've also emailed the company) and hopefully it'll gather some answers to tackle this problem.

hrm.. thats all :G:G:G
themoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:13 PM   #32

I think you'd have to have a wide-screen tv to show the 720x480 with the proper aspect ratio. I thought the camera would clip the edges for a regular tv, but I guess not. I would think that if the aspect ratio is wrong, then people would be taller and skinnier. The camera might have a setting to adjust 720x480 for a regular tv.

If the file sizes are larger for 720x480 than for 640x480, then that shows they are not using the camera's greater throughput capabilty to use less compression in 640x480. Too bad.

I've recorded tv signals into the DDV-810 and DDV-920, and both looked better on playback than video shot with the camera. Maybe there are some adjustments that can be made.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:10 AM   #33

in other thread hope he loads up a sample
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:45 PM   #34

any price is more thanUSD$299?, is rip off..:evil:
theprice is about USD$220 in taiwan's market.
check outthis website (if you can read the chinese)<<http://buy.yahoo.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=392131>>
bearfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:44 PM   #35

Since Digilife USA prices the 5120A at 299 USD,I would agree. Since they are both distributor and retailer, this is probably not the lowest USA street price.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:09 AM   #36

These cameras have to be bought directly from overseas and shipped it. I HAVE ONE. It is AWESOME. I bought one to take with me to Iraq, figuring that would be a good test of it. Here are some initial thoughts:

1. It does not come with a memorsy stick so I bought a 1GB Sandisk for MP3 music and a 2GB for video plus another 1 GB for a spare.

2. It comes with a Lit-ion battery of 1200mAh which is higher than I currently found inthe states (more on that later).

3. PICTURE QUALITY: I found the picture quality to be great, espacially in daylight. The flash works well but not for long distance shots at night, but for normal applications it's fine. I'll try to attach a photo of one of Saddam's palaces at dawn to show you.

4. VIDEO Quality: I foind the video sound and quality to be excellent. I shot a lot of video clips and ran them together to make a movie of my trip. On the 2GB disk I managed to get over 40 minutes of video and a bunch of photos (both on the high quality setting). The battery actually ran out before the disk was full so I never really filled it.

5. MP3: I got about 9 hours of music on a 1 GB disk and didn't fill it, ripping directly from a CD on my computer to the camera thought the USB port. The battery lasted for about 7 hours on the plane flight in constant use.

6. MISC:

- As you can expect, the documentation that scomes with this is foreign so it's not the best and it takes some playing with the camera to get it all down (I still have not figured it all out). Can be a little frustrating, but worth it.

- Handlingt he camera takes some getting used to. It's so small it's easy to cover the lense with your finger if you are not watching to partially obscure the shot, but once you get used to it you're fine.

- You have to proactice a little with the buttons. As you can imaginge from being so compact, the controls are small and it takes some practice but again, worth it.

- The screen chews A LOT of power. It's not readily apparent in the manual, but you can actually adjust the screen (especially in the MP3 mode) to go off after a minute and only come back on when you hit a button. That saves a lot of power and is a great feature.

- What the manual also does not tell you is that the camera uses a codec (Vidx) for video capture that Windows does not recognize so the first time you connect it to your computer it appears all you get is sound. I did a simple google search, found it free, and downloaded it. Works like a champ now with EVERYTHING.

SUMMARY: This is probably the best camera I bought for the money. I had a Mustek DV4000 that was a neat toy buy not great quality. This is more like a real camera.

WHERE TO BY: Again, I have not found these anywhere inthe states and the supplier will only ship wholesale. I bought mine through a charity that sell items with all the profits going to charity. If anyone is interested they would do the same, but they need to reach a minimum order of 6-10 to get them (I bought a sample and testing it for them as they use these for their international work and crisis response). If anyone wants to contact them, their website is http://www.partners-international.org) and their e-mail is [email protected].

I'm actually thinking about buying another one of these for my daughter if they get to the min order qualtity.

agentx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:59 AM   #37

Looks like I'll be finding out what the 5120a is like for myself. I won an auction on eBay for a slightly used black one, plus an extra battery and 2Gb memory card. I didn't bid much because I don't really need it very badly, but to my surprise no one bid in the last 12 hours of the auction.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:09 PM   #38

This article claims the 5120A has a GPS function. Oh, sure.:?

http://cti.acesuppliers.com/meg/meg_...&idxid=157

Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:22 AM   #39

The DDV-5120A construction looks like a shameless copy of the Panasonic SV-AV50. The 5120 is a vastly superior camera, however, and doesn't cost any more.