Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:22 AM   #1

I will be deploying to the "sandbox" here soon and would like to bring along something that can take good pics as well as video but fits in my pocket easily and can take some slight abuse. I stumbled upon this forum and these hybrid devices and they seem to be what I am looking for. Granted, I don't care for the extra features like mp3 and webcam, but these seem to be able to do video better than standard digital cameras and take up less memory space doing so.

With my budget being around $200 US, I think I have narrowed my list down to the Aiptek Zoom DV or the Digilife DDV-1000. I haven't found a review for either of these cams on the forums so I was hoping I could get some input from those who have one or are just more knowledgeable than I about these devices in general.

My main use will be taking videos and pictures while deployed. I would imagine my environment will be either super-bright desert sun or indoor lighting. I know these devices tend not to do well in low-light conditions so I am hoping one is better than the other. The main thing that I cannot decide on is between the Aipteks 3x optical zoom or the Digilifes superiour 5MP ccd (opposed to 3MP cmos for Aiptek). As for the other specs, I am not sure what is good and what isn't.

I hope some of you can aide me in making this decision as I am just stuck. Also, if there is some other digicam that may fit my needs, please inform me as I am sure there are dozens of these that I haven't even looked at yet.

thank you all.
Scoobypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:50 AM   #2

Upon much further research, I have in fact decided to go with a digital camera with mpeg-4 video ability as I can aquire one for a similar price as a hybrid but have superior picture quality as well as 3x optical zoom with 640x480 30fps video.
My current choice is the Casio EX-Z750. If the price comes down a bit before I buy, I well get the Casio EX-S770 instead (it has 720x480 video).
For you hybrid folks that like mp3 ability, there is also the Samsung NV3 I may go with for it's iPod size.
A plus for going the camera route is that I can get a housing for use on my diving trips and chuck my crappy 35mm disposable I keep using.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:45 AM   #3

welcome aboard . I was waitingfor two members to pop in one who owns the Zoom-dv and the other who traded out his ddv 1000

I would have pointed you to the casio exslim, or kodack that has the same body.

and if you want a mp3 player to buy a seperate one batt will last 5x longer minimum.

zoom-dv is a MPVR totally upgraded, having 3x optical still would not improve the clearity of the video, just probabaly make the video 3x worse.

ddv1000 supposed to be a better hybrid with its sensor but again would not get the job done in low light either.

what a downer, but hey, it's perfect for what you need it to do,

1 not worry bout getting your expensive model stolen

2. broken or damaged

3 a back up camera , or carry wherever you go

I do not want to sound like I am letting you don, but it is best not to go cheap but to go with the betterfeatures that will make your vacation last a lifetime

4. there was one member he went to the Islands where Survivor was filmed , never heard from him since

5.there was a member who went on vacation had lost his charger, was lucky a local shop helped him out

6, there was a memeber who lost their hybrid or got it stolen.

the lsit can go on

7 there was one member he isso happy he has a bullet cam with the hybrid for his biking.

so all is nota loss here decide what is best and go for it........
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4

Scoobypup wrote:
Quote:
Upon much further research, I have in fact decided to go with a digital camera with mpeg-4 video ability as I can aquire one for a similar price as a hybrid but have superior picture quality as well as 3x optical zoom with 640x480 30fps video.
My current choice is the Casio EX-Z750. If the price comes down a bit before I buy, I well get the Casio EX-S770 instead (it has 720x480 video).
For you hybrid folks that like mp3 ability, there is also the Samsung NV3 I may go with for it's iPod size.
A plus for going the camera route is that I can get a housing for use on my diving trips and chuck my crappy 35mm disposable I keep using.
I have also been looking at the Casio cameras due to their excellent MPEG4 mode. My only problem with them, is that their reliability (and hence ability to take even minor abuse) seems suspect and I keep hearing about 'lens errors'. It seems these devices are too easy to turn on when they are in a case etc. and the lens gears break. On a $150 device I can take the chance of failure, but when they are in the $3-400 range, it's too much to waste. I may eventually have tobite the bullet and get one if I can't find better elsewhere though!

TheMPVR (Not the PVR from Bestbuy) would be a good choice at the moment, as would the DXG 506 for a similar price. Both give very good video.

I have the PVR and you can see some sample video here at a flea market.

http://media.putfile.com/PVR3

Looks quite ok doesn't it? Until you have subjects such as this bus: http://media.putfile.com/PVR5 (Notice the grill!)

and it's most pronounced on the side of this house: http://media.putfile.com/PVR3104

It seems to be due to oversharpening and I am waiting on Aiptek to hopefully release new firmware. They are aware of the problem.

Ironically out in the desert you probably wouldn't notice it, as it mostly affects areas of great detail or with a lot of close horizontal lines.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 4:07 PM   #5

I was somewhat concerned with "ruggedness" going the camera route especially with those huge lcd screens on the back. The cameras I am looking at all have metal housings though. As for the issues you metioned rgvcam, the turning on problem can be resolved by disabling a couple functions from the camera menu. Then the only way to turn one on would be by depressing the recessed power button. The lens gear issue is related to the turning on in pocket which moves the lens on power up.
I have found a refurbished z750 for about $200 which was my initial budget to begin with. While I could get an mpvr or dxg-506 for less, I would be sacrificing much quality both with images and video as well as a whole ton of features and modes. Not to mention the fact that the casios do much better with low-light pictures and even a little better in the video as well. I do like the hybrid form factor even if the cameras are smaller overall.
I think I will be going to Best Buy (all I have here) and maybe Ritz Camera to actually hold and try out both the cameras and a couple hybrids. That will for sure tell me which is better. I will try and take some video on my sd card to compare which ever devices I find as well.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:28 PM   #6

Scoopypup

you can do that? take sample shots at BB?

Dam I hate NYC tri State Area cannot even get a camera to turn on well some?

1 casio or not RS (radioshack )sells a protector, not talking bout a plastic film, talking bout a flip top visoe it covers the lcd, I look into that?

I would go casio to. I already own good number of Hybrids.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:03 PM   #7

I would avoid the z850 as that had problems with it's video mode which they fixed by reducing its Field of View. The z750 I think is OK though.

Actually for their price hybrids compare very well video wise with the digital cameras. Of course if you can get a Casio for $200 then I say go for it!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:49 PM   #8

hi fishy,

is it possible that you mean me about the ddv 1000 :G? Yes, you are right, i told ya weeks ago, that i wanna make some videos and pics. Sorry, but there was a lot of traffic in my life and work. So there was no time for it.

Know i made some samples, but listen, the pics were awful! I was disappointed so :evil::evil::evil:. Even my old digi HP from 2001 with 2.1megapixel is better than my hybrid!!! About the videos i can tell you good things. I will load some samples up.

But after looking at the pics....and doing everything to make some better with the hybrid i was looking for some new stuff. And now i bought a really great hybrid! Its called Sony Cybershot DSC-M2 for 250$ brand new! It makes breathtaking pics and videos.

In the next few days i will show you.

Sorry for waiting such long time.

fishycomics schrieb:
Quote:
welcome aboard . I was waitingfor two members to pop in one who owns the Zoom-dv and the other who traded out his ddv 1000
jam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:04 PM   #9

:Gpossably not

jam glad you're stull with us

love to see the sony I just do not like the .mov or quicktime

abd casio has that to :|
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:23 AM   #10

fishycomics schrieb:
Quote:
:Gpossably not

jam glad you're stull with us

love to see the sony I just do not like the .mov or quicktime

abd casio has that to :|
hhmm...there is no problem about the movie. Its a MP4-File (MPEG4). So watching your films with windows movie, vlc, winamp and many more :-). And about the quality i can tell ya its very very very near to a real camcorder. I love this hybrid!

bye jam11
jam11 is offline   Reply With Quote