Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:38 PM   #1

Hey all,

This place is pretty awesome. The only forums I found that center on hybrids. Most of the other places I asked at laughed me out of the room. Nobody was taking these units seriously, but they have a bright future I'd think.

Anyway, I'm looking for a hybrid that will satisfy three needs.

Digital camera
Video camera
DVR

I need one that will give me the highest resolution for recording off of tv. If I'm going to record a news report or what have you off of tv, I want to post a nice clear copy on my blog. Infact, this unit here boasts dvd quality (if I read this right):

http://www.ispan.com.tw/products.asp?ref_id=112

But I can't find it for sale anywhere. Also, need something fairly easy. I can find my way around a pc easily enough, but don't want the act of recording my own videos and recording off tv and transfering to pc to be a nightmare. I guess if it's nice enough, I'm willing to pay the price, so that part is open. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Mike
willyyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:20 AM   #2

willyyb(mike)

Welcome aboard, we'll never laugh at you, as We have built this Index form the foundation up, will be the highest level ofFun you'll ever have, no i may be laughing:G, Just kidding. you'll hear comments , to complaints etc.....

1digital camera:

any hybrid is just that a digital camera, need to decide if a ccd or cmos sensor is right for you. It's like choosing a American car, or forighn car. They'll snap a still at their lowest natural megapixal range for example

A. 3 megapixal , Interpolated to 12 megapixals camera has 5 settings 1,3,6,9,12

1 megapixal will be its lowest setting in true form, as well as the 3 megapixals

the 3 is the true no software or hardware interpolation, but once you go up in 6.9.12 range you'll allow the cameras software to minipulate it .

this holds true forzoom. but today Our members Must also learn "SMART ZOOM"allows fora crisper digital zoom, and enhances the video or still better than before.

2. Videocamcorder:

there are 2-5 settings as well, 320x240,640x480 10-30fps and asf, avi mpeg,.mov with codecsfor WMP (windows media player) and quicktime. mpeg4 compression.

it's best to find a hybrid with 30fps so no choppiness is shown. today you'll find720x540,(dvd orwide screen format) ( correct me) on the cameras 10 fps will be hard to see the skips, as well as 15, or 20. but 30fps should be the best as 60 fps jpeg is on the market, on some models the resolution can go as low as 170x144, 320x240, 352,288,640x480 that is on the Aiptek pocket dv5300 I own. excellent for Internet use.

3. dvr (digital vid recorder) AVinput

you do not need this feature if you have a caption card on your pc or a screen recorder. but it's bestyou have it now on these hybrids. When you are able to record into a hybrid it may not come out best at the other end of viewing, some may need converting, and correction.

Av input allows any type ofset top into your hybrid. camera,cable, dvd, monitor,pc, game, youname it to hybrid.

Now your questions are answered , Why you cannot find the Model you're looking for?

your profile does not say location, so many people afraid to fill out?

1.Ispan is a Tw (tawain) base, and keeps their Product in their Region.

2. the Model is the top of the Line and must have had will be available soon? correct that means the model was produced and getting ready for release, they placed an available on it, they always change thedate so if it wasavailable in dec of 2005, and updated 4 months, then itwould say available now, meaning its out to get, no not at all, it may be 6 more months later to 1 year.

Ispan is known to delay a product, and still keep it available forever.

3. the camcorder you may be lookingfor may also have other Brands digi life, creative labs, svp

o do not give up hope

its prefrence on what you like and what you want. what i can recommend or not.

1 research, if in a store you can return, if online you'll either be stuck or sacrifice a loss at a yardsale (ebay). keep to your Region due to Warrantees.

I owned an ISpan 920 no warrantee card, and fel into the yard sale and had to rely on that person, that somehow faded away?

so I hope others will steer you in theright Direction. read the 2nd pinned post you'll see some reviews there.

again Welcome aboard

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Fishy. I didn't notice that my location wasn't visible. I'm in NJ. I was debating just getting a regular camcorder, which 'some' have told me can record off of tv with an analog input. Some say no. I think quality is paramount to this project. I'll look through your database of models and see which one shines.

Thanks for the reply,

Mike
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:01 AM   #4

I also Own a camcorder, the Jvc gr-d 395U there are different types of the samemodel it has av In and Out. so

If you are serious on something that will do taping you are better off spending a few extra dollars

1 a hybrid is excellent for simple tasks and are great hand me downs.

if you are going to fool around to have some fun then a hybrid is worth its weight in gold

if you are going to show to a company or presentation , like that samsung guy in the airplane, you'll look like the biggest fool on the planet:G

how they can get away with that I do not know?

I'll film a short take in a news clip and place on Putfile or youtube unedited

2 things can happen

A it will come out like you see it on the tube

B it will be of synch.

guess I waswrongwith my camcorder the instuctionswere not clear and no av input sorry
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:03 PM   #5

I think you'd be quite happy with a Digilife DDV-1000. There are a number of them on eBay these days. Once you get familiar with it, you'll know what you'd like to be better about it for choosing an alternative as newer cameras come out.

So far as I know, the only DIGITAL cameras, still or video, that have video-in ports, are a few of the hybrids. You can determine which ones from the Hybrid List, because that's one of the features tracked in the list.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:36 PM   #6

panasonic ccd lens are supported on the digilife models, and can range as high in the 16 megapixal today.

16MP Digilife Digital remote Camcorder Panasonic CCD

US $179.99

Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7

sgspirit, I'll check out that camera, thank you. Fishy, as far as my needs go, this has started out as a means to record simple video and television clips, easily transfer to pc, and onto the net. As I've been meandering along this path, I asked myself what the possibilites were to just find something that could record tv in high quality, and just be done with the whole thing, and never have to get a dvr. So the stakes are going higher.

Are there either any hybrids that can record from tv and provide the kind of quality one would get from a dvr, or are there any good camcorders you could reccomend that would do that job(record tv/dig pics/home videos)? If not, then I'll just get a dvr for when I need a high res copy, and use the hybrid for online applications. Your opinion sir?

Thanks all...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8

I own quite a few Models, I find myself always using the MPVr despite the vid/aud issues I have.

I can place my cable and when needed snap it in to the camcorder (mpvr) and record that show.

1. at times i find the video to be excellent, at other times I find it off synch

I fixed the issue by firmware reload. codecs sometimes get messed up.

2 resolution 60x480 online is perfect, but when using Youtube , putfile al lare converted to swf, or flash

I can recommend you doing your research, find a company that carries a waranty that will stick behind their product

A online Ebay Purchase is not a Company, it's a yard sale . no refunds unles stated, they say new I say opened and used.

"B. Local Purchase target, bestbuy, circuitcity, compusa,

hope that helps a lil.
"Aiptek needs to correct issues. not saying that they are bad nor good just be aware?

Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:31 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info. Now just have to apply what I've learned here, and break out the wallet! :roll:
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:45 PM   #10

just filmedwith the true camcorder and got to do it over thequality somehow was not great lol so camcorder pro sometimesworks or not lol:G