Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:02 AM   #11

OK, thanks a lot anyway.

One last question, before a final decision: is this kind of hybrids better than the video funtionality of a digital photo camera?
rogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:26 AM   #12

that is probably the best question of the Month?

I preferre to use a major company camera.

I see nothing wrong with the hybrid but M.I.A. an Optical zoom

it makes these hybrids camera section a point and shoot 1x optical that is it

Digital zoom is first becoming of the ages. Aiptek, has taken that step foward by making a smart zoom.

If you snap a Pic, you should never snap at full zoom. 2x may be the best you can get

take note reg shot all is fine, 2x zoom the leafs are good, but ful zoom theytend to blur

1 regular shot

2 2x zoom

3. 4x zoom

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:19 AM   #13

rogger wrote:
Quote:
OK, thanks a lot anyway.

One last question, before a final decision: is this kind of hybrids better than the video funtionality of a digital photo camera?
My Samsung i6 is a digital still camera. It's by no means an expensive dsc, but it's not a cheapo either. Its indoors video is definitely inferior to what the Digilife DDV-920 takes.

Outdoors, the i6's video is less detailed than the 920's, because it's being compressed to 1.5mbps, compared to the 920's 1.8mbps. But, the i6 has other qualities that come into play, such as autofocus and the optical zoom, that make its outdoor video overall better than the 920's. The i6's better lens suffers less halo effect, it's better at automatically setting the light level and type, and the image stabilization function works better. Both have ccd sensors, which suffer from vertical bars on very bright subject matter. But the 920 is much worse than the i6 for that.

Many dsc's take very crisp, clear video compared to the hybrids. Because they're not using any compression. Often, there will be a compromise on the frame rate to accommodate this larger data stream. But what good is sharp video if anything in motion is obviously jerky? And they consume memory like crazy.

So when you throw all these different things, including price, into the comparison, the 920 is an excellent choice for indoor video. Office lighting levels are more than enough for it.

One more thing. You can set the 920 on a tripod, and use the remote to operate it. If it's on a tripod, the video benefits from having the image stabilization turned off.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote