Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:05 AM   #11

I'm gonna defend the PVR (DV8800) a little... Yes, there's lots of grain in low light situations, and maybe there's distortion when filming parallel lines (haven't tried that), but I've found it to be fine when used in good lighting. Of course it can't compete with more expensive cameras, but it shouldn't. Here's a link to a video I took yesterday, off the cuff, because one of my tortoises was up to something. So I didn't set up the shot as an example of good or bad; I just turned it on and filmed.

http://download.yousendit.com/FB7A7D8C396E113B

(Granted, a tortoise is not the best benchmark for "fast motion"...)

Since the original posting was about recording off of TV, I should note that I have seen NO problems with the PVR's video when doing that. No graininess whatsoever. It's always very sharp, and if there are flaws, they are: 1) maybe some flicker sometimes, like a frame rate issue (I record off PAL with a camera purchased in US, so dunno...), and 2) when the batteries start running low, audio sync gets off.

(Also, I tried using three different browsers (Opera, Firefox, IE) to watch those videos on Putfile and no luck. The page loads, and the video seems to load, but nothing plays in the WMP box.)

Diyabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:59 AM   #12

Diyabolo,

Did you buy your DV8800 recently? The distortion when filming certain scenes is pretty terrible. I haven't seen this in any other camera. It's definitely a defect.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:32 AM   #13

From the youtube video the guy with the mike was there and about three other guys. There was a crowd around and besides myself and 4 people including myself brought the cam. Some guy that sales stuff on ebay was looking to make a major purchase and they asked for his business card. I paid $200.00 which included sales tax. This is my first hybrid and already no the limitations but I have a Camcorder and Digital Camera this was just going to something else I carry. I had free tickets from best buy, I don't work for them just a rewards zone member.
sassylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:55 AM   #14

Thanks for all the responses, this board(and constituants)is great. Sassy, does that Digilife record off tv ala DVR? That is one of my needs to go along with camcorder/camera.

I'm sorry to hear so many negative reviews of the DV 8800, it seemed to be the most accessable unit with all the features I needed, but way too many reports of poor video.

I looked into Archos, but it can't take pictures, and you have to buy some sort of docking station to make it record off tv. The Aiptek sounds like it's ready to go out of the box.
willyyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:35 AM   #15

dv6600 and dv8800 are tv ready.

ispan ddv-920 as well

Sassy thank you for the response back

that is a good price it states av input

http://www.digilifeglobal.com/DDV-5120A.htm

panasonic d-snap

looks like this. for thee purchase you did good..........

r
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:43 PM   #16

Anybody know where I can purchase this unit? Searches aren't turning up much... :sad:
willyyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:32 PM   #17

not here in the USA, I would like to know to. I preferre the T300 over the Is_DV2 at 89.99 at the time on sale from target.

posably someone from France or germany may post a link:?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote