Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:04 PM   #1

Does anyone have any experience with or sample videos from the DXG-301V cam ? I'm thinking of getting my daughter one of these so she can use it for video blogs but there is not much info out there on it. I'm thinking it might be a decent choice since it use a ccd vs cmos ?? I've included a picture of it so you know what cam I'm talking about.

Other cams I'm considering for her are the DXG-506V and the Mustek DV-9300....

PS: I think it's great that you all have a hybrid cam section here, it's a real help
Attached Images

Z20Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:28 PM   #2

Z20Guy

Welcome to the Hybrid section, sooner or later we'll get you in here........
radioshack had this one time but this looks updated
1. dxg 301v may also be known as the Microtek mp500.mp300,320

all simular looking models

if you're looking for the DXG 301v or 506v do not forget that the 506v comes in a 12 megapixal online camcorder for afew $$ more

I have yet to see somesamples and cannot find any but I can bet on it it'll be just the same as any mpeg 4 format

If you're looking for the best model either one may do, your daughter may Like the dxg 506v as it comes in a number of color real eye catching, the 301v may be like a camcorder and may not like to carry round all day

research is the key issue I do post my vids and are easily searchable. but others well fade away and do not like to waste time.

Please check out the hybrid review there is a 305v review it is not going to be any different if it was the 506v they're both the same camera with the same exactfeatures just its updated from 3.0 meg to 6.6 now 12 meg online.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:29 PM   #3

The 301V is an older model. It has a 3.2 CCD sensor with auto-focus lense. The 305V and506V both use CMOS sensors with fixed focus lenses, as do the Microtek models.

There was one owner on the "old" forum who posted a "Mustang" video clip. Hopefully, he's find his way here to answer your questions.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:34 PM   #4

Thank Fishycomics, I did read your review of the 305v506v and viewed the clips...videos are not too bad really for what they came off of.

One of the reason I was considering the 301v too was that it has a jack for an AC adapter, not a biggie I guess but if she's wanting to use it at her desk as a web cam or for video chatting, blogging etc that feature might be useful. I'm having a hard time comprehending the difference from CMOS to CCD ?? Would a 5mp CMOS produce better quality pictures or video clips as compared to a 3.2mp CCD ? One problem for me too seems to be that in Canada we are limited as to who stocks these inexpensive hybrid cams, one place that is close to me is Tiger Direct + Wal Mart and you can see the selection of cams I have to choose from at the links below...other than the ones at those links I would have to go online and import one and that gets me into a situation with it being here on time for her birthday.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?Nav=|c:7||c:129|

By the way I tried to use php tags for the above links above but it won't work example = Google

Is there some restrictions or rules with linking here ?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:16 PM   #5

ACMOS sensor can be as good, if not better thana CCD.High end SLR's use them. When you come down to the consumer level though, generally CCD is still a better bet as they are more sensitive to lower light levels. Consumer CMOS sensors are much better than they used to be. These days, if you shoot in bright daylight you wouldn't see much different. The 5MP still images from my PVR are pretty good for a cheap camera.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:53 AM   #6

I deleted the walmart link in my post above since I could not contain it in a php tag..*****olling sideways while reading a forum is something that really annoys me :roll:

Okay so I've got in contact with a friend of mine that had this little video cam strapped to his helmet when we were out mini moto racing a couple weeks ago and it turns out it's a Microtek MV300 like what is pictured in Fishycomic's post above. After comparing the specs on the manufacturer's websites and checking out his helmet cam videos I think I'm going to get my daughter the DXG-301V as the video quality of the 301V "should" be comparable to the MV300...heck I might even get 2 just so I have one to play with :-) I have my JVC mini DV cams for videography & my Z20 for photography but one of these little cheapies just might be a cool thing to strap on the front of my mini moto when I'm blasting around our local race track....would rather it gets beaten up than my 800 $$ mini DV's ! Good enough excuse to have one of these for myself and get it by the wife too I suppose

Here's a link to the helmet cam video my friend did with his MV300...the sound in this video is messed up and he says it's the first time that happened as the sound recording in normally fine.

http://media.putfile.com/oct-7th-sutton

When I pick the 301V's up this weekend I'll post some video's edits and maybe a few thoughts or what have you about them so others will have something to go by if they are considering buying one...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:24 AM   #7

1. mosthybridsdo not need an ac adaptor for using the camera when hooked up to the pc.

Z.........

for example the IS-DV by aiptek does due to no power from pc to camera in the usb2.0 interface cable

2. As that video shows it clearly answers your question a perfect video with some lightadjustments, which will be normal on any hybrid they tend to do that try to adjust themselves

3. so no matter what you decide and are goingwith your choice the microtek

make sure you're happy 15ps is minimum any less may seem chopy at times.

Please do Post those vids and also get them in the video sample thread for me. b/c it's perfect

4. as well geta review writen up as wel so others know what to expect

:|:|

Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:11 AM   #8

Well I brought home the DXG-301V's and so far I'm quite happy, neat little cam and it feels and looks quality which is nice. I checked out some of the other hybrid offerings Target had and all felt cheap and toy like in comparison. Anyway I appear to have gotten the newer models maybe ?? Box graphics, box contents and software are slightly different than what's advertised online at most places. Bonus of the day is that with the one I'm keeping for myself I ended up getting 15% off the sticker price since it was an open box (display model). With that deal too I still get the full warranty and the 30 day return policy privileges which is cool with me

So as for what's different than what was advertised...well the cam itself looks the same and the specs are the same but these ones include a very nicely fitted carrying case, Presto Video Works and Presto Photo Works software as compared to the advertised Arcsoft Video Impression software. I'm familiar with both Presto's and Arcsoft's OEM bundle offerings and I must say the Presto package is the better one by miles...I mean it's video editor has story board and timeline modes, more editing options\features and so on but one thing it does lack is dvd creation. Presto will create MPEG 1 VCD's, DV-AVI, AVI, Real Media and WMV files though so most should be content with that if they choose to use the bundled software package. All in all I think for the money these things are a pretty good deal and the video I've taken so far looks good. For web posting, email, video blogging etc they should be just fine and obviously they must be used within the context of the sticker price...it will not ever compete with even an entry level mini DV cam. Anyway it's been a long day of working, driving, tending to family and of course playing with a new toy...I need SLEEEP !!! Keep an eye out here, I'll have more first hand info, picture and video samples, product pictures and so on posted soon.

Cheers :bye:
Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:33 PM   #9

hand around the camcorderwould make a nice shot.......

that looks awesome. hope all works out some of the open box items may miss parts, hope you got them all. vid works 6 is excellent, Wish they came with the dvd pkg to.

i like how you can place two vids i nthere and add some frame shots. with movement etc...

looking foward to the sample shots but yes I know you have to do this after the B'day ?

congrad's on the purchase and I hope the family member loves the gift. I

I wish I started out earlier in life with video. but hey that's why I am here trying my best to get others started.

all the hype is Aiptek, but I have to get them back to the Musteks and others.

. samples can alos be added in the vid sample

try to resize to just a tad so e do not have to scroll off the screen, otherwise perfect.