Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:15 AM   #1

Could someone who has a Z100 (optical zoom Aiptek) please post a video showing the optical zoom in video capture mode?! I want to know how smooth it is, so please just a small quick video capture with zoom optical zoom in and zoom out to full and back... TIA

P.S.

It would be best if the capture was in low or poor light conditions?!
novinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:51 PM   #2

Zoom DV optical zoom test

Test was done a 5:00 PM. AWB, IS on.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:48 AM   #3

Oldhacer

1.did you notice, that the zoom-dv adjusts to focus when zooming?

2. would it be nest said, to zoom on thesubject, or object, before video recording?

3 The wrought Iron fence behind is black, and showsthesame exact defect as the pvr, and mpvr?

4. Compression is not totally clear still hada tad of seperation, or grain like to the video?

all in all when I tested a kodack 6 meg slr model I zoomed in to 10x optical thisis the same exact thing of question (1) adjusting focus.

otherwise it looks good

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4

Fishy,

1. Yes, I noticed it on the Zoom DV. It happens on my MX4too.

2.Doing the zoom before recording is better, if the subject allows it. If not, well thats what video editing software is for.

3.Yes, same defect.

4. Yes.

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5

Thanks OH for the clip...Z100 hasloads better (smoother) zoom thenthe digital zoom of thedv8800...

Might be because my 8800 is still onFW1400?!??

I'm not sure about flashing it becausemine isHW00... I would like to flash it, but the firmware files on this forum are all HW01 (unless I missed some)?!Any1 tried flashing HW00 with HW01, and what happened afterwards?!!? Did it work!?

I contacted AIPTEK Germany, because that's where I bought mine and they propsed sending it back to them so they can flash it, only I don't want to be sending them the camerawhen every single new version of the fw comes out...:sad:
novinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:57 PM   #6

USA gave no problem at all.

HW00 may be USa hw01 may be uk etc? my guess.

tawian will not give out. try again and demand your moneys worth.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:34 PM   #7

I noticed that you can use the optical zoom while recording. A lot of cameras disable this due to the noise the zoom makes which you can hear in this video clip. I have to say, I wonder why most camera manufacturers disable this, since the noise is not that bad, as long as you don't zoom in and out too much which like too much panning is not good practice anyway.

The autofocus problem is not unique to Aiptek. I know one of the recent MPEG4 V series Kodak's suffers from this as well.

I am guessing that the same firmware with slight variations due to hardware is being used in all the current Aiptek cameras. Aiptek told me they have been testing all their cameras for the problem in my PVR. They came the same conclusion that I finally did in that it seems to be a problem with the video resizing or compression rather than a simple sharpening problem.

Old HACer, I wonder if you could do some tests similar to those I did with my PVR on suitable subjects to see how distorted you can get the video!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:49 PM   #8

Old HACer,

Does the Zoom DV still have the same stupid battery cover design as the MPVR and PVR ie just one tiny tab holding it all on?

Everytime I get it out of my belt case, I end up leaving the battery cover behind! So annoying! They need to get back to the days of OVER ENGINEERING stuff rather than as they do now with UNDER ENGINEERING stuff.

I am guessing they did this because some people complained that battery covers are too hard to remove and now they went the other way. Personally I prefer stuff that's a little harder to remove.

Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:23 PM   #9

I don't have the MPVR or PVR, so can't compare them. The cover just slides down to be removed - two little tabs at the top and one at the bottom. Tight right now, but will probably loosen up with wear on the bottom tab.

The Mustek DV9300 has the same problem only worse. It was pretty loose when new.

Not sure why they can't even do a slide lock, like the Microtek MV-300/500 cameras.

Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:15 PM   #10

I agree there should ideally be a locking mechanism but your Zoom DV sounds like it has two tabs at least. I had a really cheap Crystal Digital VGA camera that had a locking battery cover so it's not a cost issue. It's a really poor design since the battery cover is vertical meaning the full weight of it rests on that one tiny loose fitting tab. The one on the IS-DV wasn't a problem as it not only had a firmer fit, but it was horizontal and not as large as the PVR one. I know fishycomics said the covers are only $5 to replace but that doesn't solve the problem as there isn't much resistance to removing the cover in the first place.