Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:34 PM   #1

Are there any that are more accessable to those who do not have dsl?

Looking at a 2 minute film can take 1/2 hour or more with all the stops and pauses that a dial up connection causes.

I have dial up, not by choices but no dsl service is in my area.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:58 PM   #2

Unfortunately with dialup you are pretty much limited due to the fact that video by its very nature takes up much more bandwidth than still images, at least if you want anything recognisable! Most video sites assume people are using broadband especially as they can accept videos from 25MB to 100MB in size!

When I send email to dialup users I try to limit video clips to around 1MB or under and encode using the free windows media encoder with a resolution of 320x240 and around 200kbps.

These parameters give a surprisingly good video when viewed fullscreen on a PC given the low bitrate. The reason I also use a low bitrate is so I can then place them on my PDA.

To give you an idea of how much video you can fit into the above constraints, I have a video that is 320x240 212Kbps with a length of 24 seconds yet takes up just 607KB. Of course that includes the audio encoded at 32kbps.

Unfortunately, to get a fair and honest idea of the video quality from a hybrid camcorder you really need to see the original file from the device and as expected, these can be huge to a dialup user!

One thing you can do with sites such as youtube.com is to pause the video to stop it playing immediatly and let it download. Of course this won't do anything for the time it takes to transfer, but at least once it has downloaded you can then view it much more smoothly and continuously!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:09 PM   #3

3. http://www.youtube.com/?v=VODzNk2gE_4 *1min 15 3.26mb cliff diver

Bill tell me in here what you like to see and wed I'll reformat some vids at a lower rate

possably this turnssome members off

the vid I posted up is the lowest size and is a fast download.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:38 PM   #4

Thnks fish & rgv

fish:

tried looking at the cliff divers and the continuous surf sounded like a drum roll every 3 seconds and the sky was series of faint blue squares. Katz deli paused every 2 seconds. A pastrmi sandwhich would be cold and dry at my dial up speed:G

Will be at girl friends house tomorrow who has dsl and will try again. I assume these were done with the asipek mpvr. ( may be picking it up at Best Buy this week).

Thats a good idea regarding the water bottle cap for a lens cap. Try sending it to a video magazine that has a idea section that gives free gifts or subscriptions.:idea:

There was a time when I worked at the World Trade Center and would walk into Camera Barn and see trays of small filters and 8mm movie camera lenses for less than $1.00 each with metal or hard rubber caps.:O

BiLL

:|

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:58 AM   #5

the cliff siver is of the Mustek dv3000 it is an avi format of 1.3 megapixals the cmos sensor may also be 1.3 mb , not sure, that would bebest viewed at its orginal format not exploaded. why. like I mentioned b4, it is great for thumbnail viewing.

the katz deli let it play oput as recommendated. maybe harolds would be better sandwitch but selimenella ( spellcheck me) would be the 50/50 judgement cal, butthose cakessure looks good 7 layeers at 32 feet plus tall, no video sorry.

http://www.westhouse.plus.com/images/kames.mov

found online this is the mustek dv2000 it is an instant start on the net for me so thedownloadmay be just under 30 secs. if video sampling is what you want. not the mpvr.

ALL Aiptek cameras will have a unknownissues with the video, please take caution apon doing your Purchase? it is best to view the video's found online. this is not a sales pitch , but a buyers beware, until Aiptek finds a resolution.

I love my hybrids, and I am not here to o sell you a hybrid but bring to your attention, what is best, RESEARCH, PREFRENCE, and COST.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:16 AM   #6

I am going with the mpvr. Just commenting on the 2 I tried to view at home on dial up.

BiLL
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:48 AM   #7

totally uderstandable. I think it is time to place a buyers beware ,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I want to make aware Aiptek has no intentions of correcting their hybrids already on the market. or going to sticker them that they got issues or deduct a price .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"like to inform out members now that be aware of the situation. it may lead you to changing your mind...........:|
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:26 AM   #8

No one ever put a sticker on the Ford Pinto "caution gas tank can explode"

If there is a problem will Aiptex accept it under warrenty? or is it a simple matter of down loading and reformating the camera.

If I get a chance I will see what other models Best Buy carries.

Thanks,

BiLL
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:45 AM   #9

Aiptek will ignore emails, aiptek will respond to a phone call, aiptek will ive you a firmware fix for what is not the problem of the camera.

aiptek has vid aud issues , and thefix for it is webcam enhancement, faster shutter for photo, andred eye reduction.

aipte has a sharpness issue as well, that is why I am still awaiting a fix.....

since sept 2005. this is going on

if you notice t100 the video is of the same nature has argrathym (spellcheck)
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:55 PM   #10

http://media.putfile.com/IMAG0005-74

here is a avi sample of the mustek dv3000 1.3 mb semnsor taken .90 to upload serious super fast.