Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:17 AM   #1

It now seems like the more decent (ie 640x480/30fps) camcorders are starting to break the $100 barried finally

The better model of the two vivitar camcorders is now available from Walmart for a nice price. This of course is rebranded an Optimus in Radioshack, now also for $99 I believe.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2006, 7:31 PM   #2

From the comments on the Radio Shack site, it sounds like this camera in only good in direct sunlight or something. Also, why is everyone confused about wether or not it ihas a flash? Could be that they are getting this one mixed up with another model?
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:55 PM   #3

Yes that has me confused as well, especially since they actually bought it and had it in their possesion to examine!

I mean for a start, it has this 'thingy' on the front that looks remarkably like a flash, which you imagine would make them think "Gee, I wonder if this is a flash! I had better look in the guide. Oh look! there it is labelled on the diagram..." and later reviews confirm it has a flash too.

And what is this fascination with 'night vision'? Not many regular camcorders have that feature and it was mainly Sony in any case. I think they may be confusing this with low light ability. I think some are expecting a $500 camera at a $100 price...

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4

The user manual on the Vivitar site says that it does have a flash, and that bar on the front sure looks like a flash so.... I'm thinking that people are posting about the 310 or the lesser model that looks similar. As for low light, all I would care about is regular room lighting at night, you know, with some lights on, or on an overcast day or during the day with light coming through the window. There are hybrids that can't deal with these situations so it would be nice to know how that works.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote