Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:11 AM   #31

We know the stabilization crops. and is not supposed to be the ulimate tool of the worlds best hybrid?

Possable fixs would be to

1 set thecamera back to default? ifsomethingwas set and cannot figure out what it is? this may fix it

2 the sd card is a minimal problem, and if the speed is the lowest one on the market , that may be one possability , but I do not think it is? but you may never know?

3. then it is testing, with it from day one, use a tripod or allow it to stand on its own and allow to film 1 minute in and discard 10 secs of the beginning, and end.

4then try the stabilizer same thing as above.

5 then do a pann super slow no fast movement, same with stabilizer

Remember each video and you may need to mark them down.

these are suggestions. it may be a firmware glitch, or adefect? if not fixed when set back to default? if this only hppens with the stabilization then you need to choose if it is a defect, maulfunction, or thecamera inexpensive stabilizer? let us (me ) know, no one else is commenting yet give it time

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:32 PM   #32

- Camera is not far from default, I also run through the menus regularly and know what the settings are. No settings errors.

- SD speed is not an issue, Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB

Shot a few dozen more clips with various settings, and here is what I noticed:

- D1 mode does indeed provide noticeably more resolution than VGA mode. It records at 3.10 mb/sec datarate, while the VGA mode records at 2.76mb/sec. As far as my editing software tells me (and the manual also says), D1 mode records at a full 30 fps.

- Audio-video synch is "okay"

- The stabilizer issue ... I believe this is not an error, just the way the stabilizer works. It is VERY "aggressive". It will try to make MAJOR distortions in the image to smooth out the motion. As a result if you have a camera bump, you get wild distortions for a few frames. If you pan, the motion becomes "jerky" as it tries to keep the scene from moving lol ... I believe firmware could possibly improve this, to make the stabilizer less aggressive. I have started to leave it on and work within its limitations, consciously holding the camera more steady, but it seems counter to the purpose of the stabilizer.

- In certain lighting situations, the camera's exposure "Searches", constantly rolling back and forth through several settings, which is very distracting and basically ruins shots. You can see it happening in the viewfinder, so you can try to minimize this. Firmware probably could help this.

- Zooming is tricky. It's not really smooth, as it tends to stop and re-focus from time to time. It does work, however, and as far as I can tell, it is quiet and cannot be heard on the recording.

- Focusing is currently what I'm struggling with. First of all focusing is quite slow and the hunting algorithm seems inefficient. At any zoom or in any new angle, it seems to take a 3-step tuning process to lock focus. It has difficulty in certain ranges, for example about 1-2ft from a macro subject, and also has trouble with faces (no hard edges I guess). But most worrisome is the fact that it cannot seem to get a good infinity focus. When I am shooting wide scenic shots, they come back blurry.

- Takes 4-5 seconds to startup and be ready to film. I cannot find any setting to eliminate the splash screen. I also cannot find settings to set the FPS to fixed rates.

- Charging is internal to the camera (via the miniUSB port). No battery charger included.

More later
mzdvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:05 PM   #33

it is possable that when panning or moving faster or slower affects thestabilization, it is mention deep in the threads about this?

so it may be just film and not worry? and never notice. once we pick on a subject it gets noticed .

Zooming digital zoom, forgetaboutit.

optical zoom and auto focus is not the best frature of Aiptek. if it isstream or steps I say editing is your best correction?

you may wantto place a tranistion when far shot, and aclose up is in need.

also machro throw that in the garbage can 2 feet 8 inchs is the closest you are to get. a true machro is within 4 inchs so give the ~ a truy i bet you get the same shot?

even though I am not an owner of the newest model, I still can comment on it as I own the MPVr , it mimicks the same exact way, but not in focusing and zooming .

Happy I did not purchase the better model, but mising out on the fun for sure
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:05 PM   #34

Actually the close macro does work pretty well with the MZDV (it's a new feature I think?), you can get pretty close in on some items, however oddly it can only cope in certain focal ranges. For example it works pretty well at under 1 foot.

Do you have any examples of scenic shots with the MPVR? I'd like to see how well it does infinity focus.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:47 PM   #35

From the reviews on Amazon.com for the MZ-DV, you get the impression that Aiptek's products are steadily getting worse rather than improving!

The original IS-DV and MPVR seem to be good products. The IS-DV2 isn't too bad either but the PVR as we know has severe MOIRE effects in certain situations yet I haven't seen anyone say the same with the MPVR+ (even though they are the same device) at least to the same level yet, although to be fair, even with the PVR there have hardly been a flood of complaints either.

It seems to me that Aiptek who are a young company seem to be beta testing their products in the open market...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:46 AM   #36

Pics are all over the place, here is one at its best? no moire effect, or lines that are being curled, thebench, and taracarta tiles wil prove that? Color, shade anddepth are there , butt he ski is og not a blue ski but overcast? sometimes it can be blue, or not to me that is not the best of the best skis

So here is what I concider a nice blue ski?

I see Aiptek is improving, and not going downhill, and not a new Company as well, they have been around in the Hybrid Business a long time, in another threadwe pointed out the chip that is in the hybrid, possably opening up another model will seewhat is in there or asking Aiptek? as well as reading their, report sheets in the Firmware of al the Bugs andfixs they are doing?

Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:07 PM   #37

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
From the reviews on Amazon.com for the MZ-DV, you get the impression that Aiptek's products are steadily getting worse rather than improving!

The original IS-DV and MPVR seem to be good products. The IS-DV2 isn't too bad either but the PVR as we know has severe MOIRE effects in certain situations yet I haven't seen anyone say the same with the MPVR+ (even though they are the same device) at least to the same level yet, although to be fair, even with the PVR there have hardly been a flood of complaints either.

It seems to me that Aiptek who are a young company seem to be beta testing their products in the open market...
I think you have to take the Amazon reviews with a big grain of salt. People are trying to compare these devices to MiniDV camcorders and other types of cameras, and most of them are not really valid or realistic comparisons. ALL hybrids get some rotten reviews from people who are unrealisticly expect them to replace larger, more expensive units that use different media.

The big question IMO is how it compares to previous models, and the only commenter who had experience with a previous model said it is better.

BTW fishy, I believe the moire effects are in video.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:41 PM   #38

Yes the moire effects are in the video. The photos from the PVR are fine.

I am well aware of Amazon reviews as I determine from more than one source but they generally give an indication of the direction in how well a device is received. You are correct in that a lot of people expect them to compare to regular camcorders, but that applies to all the hybrid reviews. They also exagerate some things but I have to say that the video on the PVR was not as good as my original IS-DV. It does seem that the 5MP sensor is what is causing the problem. The MZ-DV seems to be the autofocus version of the PVR/MPVR+.

The autofocus models don't seem to be much of an improvement on the fixed focus models from what I have read so far generally. Certainly not enough to plonk down just under $200 on one.

Aiptek was founded in 1997 and when I say a young company I am comparing to the older established camera and camcorder manufacturers who have been far longer.

I would certainly like to see some unrecompressed samples from the MZ-DV to see how they compare to the PVR.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:26 PM   #39

I'm sorry, I haven't been able to get the samples going yet. I would like to have some time and a good scene to do some real comparison type videos. I can probably host them for a limited time.

Any types of shots in particular you are looking for? I'm taking requests :idea:
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:48 PM   #40

Well challenging scenes such as ones with a lot of detail (ie read vegetation). Also ones with close horizontal lines (A yellow bus grill would be nice :lol or perhaps a white brick house. Scenes of people and buildings tend to be very forgiving to these types of camcorders as they don't challenge the video compression engine as much.