Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16
Default

I need the board's opinion. I bought the 5100 at walgreens and made several movies with it. I transfered them to the computer and I was pleased with it. Trying to show some movies to my wife on the tv in 640 mode and I was disappointed because there was a lot of pixelation. I decided to take it back and bought the pvr from BestBuy. I have only taken a brief scan through a a well lit kitchen and some nite movies with it and am dissappointed that the action seems real jerky. doesn't it have 30 fps also? any opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:08 AM   #2
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Paul, welcome aboard

1

this is an older version camcorder

320 x 240 Pixels (up to 30 fps)
160
x 128 Pixels (up to 30 fps)

has been around over 5 years, and todays Updated model would be the IS-DV2.

Understanding it has a view finder, allowing no lcd screen on (A plus)

If you went with the Mustek Dv4500 I believe you would have been happier with

the Quality,, proformance, and body style. and having up to 30 fps @ 640x480 res.

Getting back to your question.

1. the mpvr is yes a far better hybrid with extra features, garanteed to please you in other ways.

Remember a Crt monitor or lcd monitor acts differentt hen a big tv screen ( understanding we know this already)

Aiptek claimes can be viewed up to a 60 " tv but they never said it would be clear ?

If you noticed the black sections of video with the Aiptek will get pixalated

I do have two video up and they are of Fireworks at night, I compared side by side Aiptek Dv5300, mustek dv3500 both of same quality hybrids.

I noticed Aiptek show glare with light and pixal with black,, mustek held together perfect no distortion.

ypu can say Mustek leads or is a better hybrid, locate post cpmparison of hbrids way way back of dv5300 andmustek or sample video.

All hybrids will Proform poorly in a LOW LIT situation indoor with the sun outside beaming in.

In order to correct this you'll need to turn on night mode and do not move no panning as the shuter stays open longer . or blurring will happen.

This may be the problem you have at the moment see if night mode is in the on postion, if so turn it off.

Also check out the firmware if you are planning on returning then try the firmware out .

again 1 poor light no matter what anyonesays

2 poor large tv viewingof aiptek,

3 stabilization, and nightmode may be on.

yes it is a UP to 30 fps not 30 fps.

in my posts ido mention

buyer beware as Aiptek will not recall defective units on the market

IS-DV, MPVR, PVR Zoom-dv, etc even though they claim perfect.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

p3aul wrote:
Quote:
I need the board's opinion. I bought the 5100 at walgreens and made several movies with it. I transfered them to the computer and I was pleased with it. Trying to show some movies to my wife on the tv in 640 mode and I was disappointed because there was a lot of pixelation. I decided to take it back and bought the pvr from BestBuy. I have only taken a brief scan through a a well lit kitchen and some nite movies with it and am dissappointed that the action seems real jerky. doesn't it have 30 fps also? any opinions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Paul
Have you taken any shots during the day for comparison?

I have the PVR and here is a sample video for you to look at for comparison:

http://media.putfile.com/PVR3


rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:10 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16
Default

Thak you oth for your commets. I took a short sessio this morning out the front door and was still not pleased. The picture of the house net door was ful of moving lines on the walls! The trees seemed on a par with the 5100 but I think your video, rgvcam was better than what I've been able to reproduce. I am headed for the mall now to get some movies of people for a comparison
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:28 PM   #5
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

prismatic effect. yep if you are not happy look at the IS-DV?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

p3aul wrote:
Quote:
Thak you oth for your commets. I took a short sessio this morning out the front door and was still not pleased. The picture of the house net door was ful of moving lines on the walls! The trees seemed on a par with the 5100 but I think your video, rgvcam was better than what I've been able to reproduce. I am headed for the mall now to get some movies of people for a comparison
Paul

You mean like this: http://media.putfile.com/PVR3104 ?

What you are seeing is a known fault of the PVR (at least by us here!) and I, along with fishycomics have been in touch with Aiptek about this. In fact I sent them a lot of test videos.

It seems that it has a fault in the resizing algorithm, in that it is merely resizing and not resampling the image from the 5MP sensor which results in this distortion. This only affects the video mode as the still images appear to be fine.


My Sanyo C40 does not suffer from this, although you will stil get a bit of the prismatic or moire effect on grills with very close lines. Due to high compression you will suffer from this a little bit, but with the PVR it is excessive and needs to be fixed.

Unfortunately I have not been informed as when they will come out with a firmware fix, so my best advice at this stage would be to return it.

I would have done so myself had I not been busy and only realised the effect after the 14 days were up!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:19 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16
Default

Yeah, that's it, rgvcam. I think I will be returning it to bestbuy, even if If I have to take a 15% cut on the refund. It's just not worth it. I posted these two videos on my website. You can view both only if you use Firefox, I'm afraid. Netscape or IE will only show one. They are somewhat small but they were taken with the 5100, and I think are better quality, although the camera was cheaper. Please tell me what you think
http://handleys.us/movie/index.html
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

p3aul wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, that's it, rgvcam. I think I will be returning it to bestbuy, even if If I have to take a 15% cut on the refund. It's just not worth it. I posted these two videos on my website. You can view both only if you use Firefox, I'm afraid. Netscape or IE will only show one. They are somewhat small but they were taken with the 5100, and I think are better quality, although the camera was cheaper. Please tell me what you think
http://handleys.us/movie/index.html
That's ok, I prefer Firefox. Did you get my Private Message? Even though you are returning it, I would like you send an email to the address I sent you, describing the problems with the camera.

You may want to see if you can get the Aiptek IS-DV instead:



I used to have one (until I lost it) and the video was much softerand better than the PVR. The ergonomics were better as well in my opinion. fishycomics has one along with some sample videos he can give you a link to.

It seems Bestbuy has stopped selling them now, but you can still get them for $99 from http://www.2fidelity.com/or www.aiptek.com themselves though they are refurbished at that price.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:51 PM   #9
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

two members have mentioned return, and IS-DV

I will say the tw ovids you posted the horse is realy neat but lacking quality it is saturated. due to facing sun or ski overcasted.

2nd vid of the singing? my sound is off at the moment is perfect great indoor and lighting.

the 5100 or other models that resemble i hate to say cost about 9.00 today if found sad to ssay that

take down theserial number report to Aiptek even though you are returning informa them, of the situation



15 % restocking fee will be lifted complain niicely they have waiver or retraction key which they are happy to do.

online you cannot get away with it.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:59 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 16
Default

Is the Is-DV the same as the 5100f? These model numbers they use are so confusing!
I think it was the 5100f that I had. it had a full sized CF card slot in the front.
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:08 AM.