Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:19 PM   #1

I HAVE CALLED AIPTEK TECH SUPPORT AND BEEN PUT ON HOLD AND THEN TRF TO ANOTHER TECH'S VOICE MAIL AND NO CALL BACKS TWICE NOW.

I HAVEALSO (EVEN THOUGH THEY TELL YOU NOT TO) SENT IN MY COMPLAINT AND QUESTION FROM WITHIN AIPTEK'S WEBSITES INTERNAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT EMAIL SYSTEM= NO RESPONSE!

I WAS VERY PLEASED TO FIND THIS FORUM WHERE I HOPE TO GET SOME HELP AND ADVISE AS I AM VERY FRUSTRATED WITH MY PVR RIGHT NOW!

MY MODEL # IS NOT "PVR" HOWEVER, IT IS: DZO-V58 AS SHOWN ON THE STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT.

HERE IS AN OUTLINE OF THE PROBLEM AREAS:

1. USING THE INCLUDED ARCSOFT MEDIA CONVERTER SOFTWARE I CONVERTED A NUMBER OF .AVI, .MPG AND .WMF VID FILES THAT I HAD ON MY HARDRIVE TO .ASF FILES .

2. I DID THIS 2 WAYS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WOULD WORK CONSISTENTLY:

*WHILE CONVERTING THE VID DIRECTLY FROM THE COMPUTER TO THE CAMERA USING THE SUPPLIED USB CABLE AND NOTING THE END LOCATION (THE SD CARD IN THE CAMERA)IN THE PROPER PLACE ON THE ARCSOFT PROGRAM SCREEN

* CONVERTING THE FILE AND HAVING IT SENT TO MY .TMP FILE THEN CUTTING AND PASTING IT TO MY SD CARD THAT I USUALLY HAVE IN THE CAMERA BUTPUT INTO MY CARD READER THAT SHOWS UP AS A SEPERATE DRIVE. I THEN INSERTED THE CARD WITH THE CONVERTED FILE ON IT INTO THE CAMERA AND ATTEMPTED TO HAVE IT DISPLAY ON THE LCD

3. WITH NO APPARENT PATTERN AND REGARDLESS OF WHICH WAY I GOT THE .ASF FILES INTO THE CAMERA, I SUFFERED REPEATED AND INTERMITTANT FAILURE OF THE CAMERA TO DISPLAY THE VIDS

4. REMOVING THE SD CARD FROM THE CAMERA AND INSERTING IT INTO THE CARD READER REVEALED THAT ALL OF THE TRANSFERRED FILES WERE ON THE CARD AND WOULD DISPLAY ON MY COMPUTER WITH NO PROBLEMS

5. WHEN THEY DON'T APPEAR ON THE LCD, INSTEAD WHEN THE OUTLINED BOX IN YELLOW IS CLICKED I GET A RED BOX WITH THE MESSAGE: "FILE FAILED"...I HAVE SEEN THIS SO OFTEN IT MAKES MY FACE RED WITH ANGER! I COULD NOT FIND ANY MENTION OF THIS NOTICE IN THE "TROUBLESHOOTING" SECTION OF THE OWNER'S MANUAL?

6. TO MAKE THIS EVEN WORSE, SOME OF THE VID FILES THAT DID PLAY LATER DO NOT AND I GET THE "FILE FAILED" BOX AGAIN!

7. ALL MP-3S I HAVE EVER TRANSFERRED TO THE CAMERA WORK PERFECTLY EVERY TIME SO IT ISA PROBLEM WITH THE VIDS BEINGCONVERTED AND TRANSFERREDNOT THE AUDIO FILES

8. AS AS SIDE POINT....MAYBE THIS HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM BUT PROBABLY NOT....I DISCOVERD BY ACCIDENT THAT YOU CAN TRANSFER .JPG STILL PICTURES ON YOUR HARDRIVE TO THE SD CARD AND HAVE THEM APPEAR ON THE LCD JUST LIKE STILL PIX YOU TAKE WITH THE CAMERA! I COULDN'T FIND ANY INFO ON THIS FEATURE IN THE USER'S MANUAL....HOWEVER...AND THIS MAY BE PERTINENT, ALTHOUGH ALL .JPG STILLS I TAKE WITH THE CAMERA DISPLAY JUST FINE, I HAVE THE SAME INTERMITTANT "FILE FAILED" PROBLEM WITH THESE TRANSFERRED PIX. OF COURSE, REMOVING THE CARD AND PUTTING IT IN MY CARD READER ALLOWS ME TO SEE ALL THE PIX ON MY COMPUTER SCREEN WITH NO PROBLEMS!

9. ALL VIDS TAKEN WITH THE CAMERA DISPLAY CORRECTLY EVERY TIME AS WELL.

10. FINALLY, I HAD SOME .ASF FILES ON MY HARDRIVE THAT DID NOT NEED TO BE CONVERTED SO I JUST COPIED AND PASTED THEM ONTO MY SD CARD....SAME PROBLEM WHEN I TRIED TO PLAY THEM BACK...."FILE FAILED"!!!!!

S0RRY FOR BEING SO LONG WINDED....I REALLY LIKE THE PVR AND IF I CAN JUST GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED I WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT...

THANX FOR ANY ADVISE YOU "EXPERTS" CAN GIVE ME

CHUCK
ciproche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:33 PM   #2

Which folders on the SD card are you using for your imported stills and videos?

Are you following the camera file naming coventions for your imported stills and videos?
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:55 PM   #3

Cip. welcome aboard

oldhacer Cip is overlooking the bvious.

I have to update the review putfile vid is deleted, but somewhere in here is a how to use the software in a thread sorry not lazy , just cannot find it fast enough.

1. I understand your frustration. and look at the vid I just made I do not have to load it in the camera b/c I know it will work but tomorrow I'll do a tuturial if you like?

but locate the cdr that came with the camera and open up the manual it is al laid out in there

call back Aiptek and do not hang up. best time to call 4 pm.

now for instructions find file open in arc. step one understand real simple

select destination c:/ mydoc/video.

setting leave alone or fool around convert

after it is converted you just take that CLIP0001 make sure the CLIP0001 is not in the camera it will one overwrite so you cn rename to CLIP0100 and

toco bell good to go?

that is wht I see wrong, and also the cdr has all info qiute alright .

vid tuturial and pic below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLxfCDXjpFM

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:50 PM   #4

I apologize!

I forgot to mention that I was aware of the importance of using proper "File Naming Conventions" for clips/pix being imported into the PVR for playback on the LCD.

When you convert directly into the camera to the SD card inside of it, the ARC software seems to automatically correctly name the files.

However, when you convert to your hard drive then this becomes a manual one at a time chore.

I did Rename my vids/pix by using the directions copied in this thread. For example:

(I had formatted the SD card first to avoid any conflicts or unintentional overwrites.)

My first picture was renamed:

PICT0001.JPG

then

PICT0002.JPG

and so on....

My first imported vid was renamed:

CLIP0001.ASF

then

CLIP0002.ASF

and so on......

Now, here is something that might be important.

Whenyou open the DCIM folder on the SD card for the first time, you should see asub foldercalled:

100MEDIA

That is where you need to move the files you are going to import.

This folder was NOT there when I clicked on DCIM and I had to create it as a newsub folderunder the existing DCIM folder.

I then copied and pasted the renamed.JPG pics and .ASF vids (some converted and some "native") into the 100MEDIA folder I had created on the SD card which was in my Card Reader.

Then I insertedthe SD card into the PVR and tried to playback the transferred files...YUP same old problem...

Al

PS:

1.Have any of you other owners everseen this red box with "FILE FAILED" in it.....I think I may bethe only owner of a PVR to have ever had this nasty item pop up on the PVR's LCD!! (That is prolly why it isn't mentioned in the "Trouble shooting" Section of the Owner's Manual)

2. Also am I unique in being able to "import" .JPG files not taken with the PVR and have them display properly (sometimes)on the camera's LCD?

As this can obviously be done (I did it..albeit not consistently) why is this feature NOT mentioned in the Owners guide that came with the camera or on any supplemental sheets (such as the one re playing back vids on a seperate monitor)??
ciproche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:19 PM   #5

no sweat.....

1 when you format the sd card you must allow the hybrid to name a file with the camera as well as the mp3 file to if not you'll recieve file fail.

2 file fail happ's for number of reasons

incorrect ocdec, missing file , interuptions so on.

I am sure it is mentioned in the cdr or booklet but yes it taken me quite a long time at the stat.

are you good to go all cleared ?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:03 PM   #6
edo

Hi, I have similar problem with viewing JPG files on my MPVR+.

After copying some pictures (JPGs) taken by my other camera onto the SD card (in 100Media under DCIM folder) and renaming their names with PICT000* (* = sequence number after the existing ones), the MPVR+ can't show the pics (the thumbnails are empty/dark but LCD still shows their JPG number).

Any idea how to solve this problem?
Or can't MPVR+ be used to view other JPG files taken by any other camera?

Thanks in advance for any help.

edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:09 PM   #7

excellent Question there is a MPVR+ review you should post to that topic, butquite alright in here as well.

1 before you do anything.

what is the name of the picture you are going to view to the camera forexample IMG0001, not PICT0001 .

If you try to do a direct transfer w/o renaming does it work?

Are you naming it PICT0001 and then transfering, but did youtry pictooo1.jpeg try adding .jpeg to the list

last resort 3face may have said, who is no longer on here, use arc phot impression and save there.

not a pro, but sometimes we overlook the obivious.

Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:11 PM   #8

excellent Question there is a MPVR+ review you should post to that topic, butquite alright in here as well.

1 before you do anything.

what is the name of the picture you are going to view to the camera forexample IMG0001, not PICT0001 .

If you try to do a direct transfer w/o renaming does it work?

Are you naming it PICT0001 and then transfering, but did youtry pictooo1.jpeg try adding .jpeg to the list

last resort 3face may have said, who is no longer on here, use arc phot impression and save there.

not a pro, but sometimes we overlook the obivious.

Before I sent mine back I an not sure if the hybrid takin vid then pic then vid like that type of order

clip0001,pict0002clip0003 on the mpvr+

while the MVR2k6 did Clip0001pict0001 clip0002 no alternating

I prefere a continuation method clips 1,2,3 pict 1,2,3 and then after i delet or transfer continue not to the beginning but where left off bad part of Aiptek
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:55 AM   #9
edo

Thanks fishycomic for your quick response. I really appreciate your help.
The pics that I copied to SD card were IMGP*.JPG files that had been resized with PhotoElements. After copying the original IMGP* files, I can now see their display on LCD. When I tried to resize them using PhotoImpression and re-save them, they can also be displayed on LCD. The problem is PhotoImpression that comes with the camera package is ver 5 that doesn't have batch processing feature like the one in ver 6. However, when I tried to use the trial ver 6, the files resized through batch processing feature cannot be displayed on the LCD. I'm not sure if I miss something...

You are right, the camera attaches number sequentially for the CLIPs and PICs (doesn't differentiate between the two).

Thanks again for your kind help.
edo is offline   Reply With Quote