Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:58 AM   #1

Looking for a camcorder for my wife. She likes to take pictures, but doen't want to do much more than push a button. So don't need alot of maual features, just good quality video and want it to be very compatible with her powerbook as she will use Apple software for editing. I was originally interested in the models with built in harddrives, but reading more it seems the format they save in is not condusive to editing. I am a still photographer, and know very little about camcorders. It will be a Christmas present, so my budget is fairly open as she is getting me the 80-400VR I have been lusting after.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:42 PM   #2

How about a regular MiniDV? They are cheap, easy to use and edit. They should be compatible with a Mac as it uses the firewire interface and editing with DV video could be done something like iMovie. Of course, I don't own a Mac myself so people are free to correct me if I am wrong.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:32 PM   #3

MiniDV seems to be the most compatible, but which one? Any good review sites as to who makes the best? Hope this is the correct forumn for this and don't want to start a war like Canon vs Nikon, I love my Nikon, by the way. I just haven't a clue on camcorders and looking for some guidance.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:07 PM   #4

This is really a forum for hybrid memory cardcamcorders and as such we don't have a particular brand that is a favorite here although individuals may have their preference of course.

Unfortunately there isn't a really good consumer camcorder review site which I find odd considering how many Digital Camera sites there are. Well there iscamcorderinfo.com but they tend to be mainly prosumer orientated and are rather snobby towards the cheaper consumer camcorders. Still you might like to have a look to get an idea. It depends on your budget I suppose. If you are willing to consider anything within the$1000 range then there are a couple of nice 3CCD Panasonics they seem to like. If like most of us, you are more comfortable under $500 then they are not really on the same page as the average consumer in my opinion in the way the do their reviews. What is poor image quality to them is often perfectly acceptable to us. In the sub $500 area, Canon seems to score high marks although the tape noise problem seems to crop up regularly. It seems Canon hasa particular problem with this for some reason. Panasonic and JVC seem to do decent cameras as well. I had a JVC Super VHS which was a very good camera until it started chewing tapes. It woudl display an error code which apparently is quitea commonoccurance among JVC camcorders no matter the format they usa.They all have their faults, so you need to find one whose faults don't bother you as much! Like you, I really wish there was a comprehensive camcorder review website. I am quite willing to be proven wrong by someone of course since.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote