Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:47 AM   #11

an added not. make sure the sd card is of a standard speed not the lowest....
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:24 AM   #12

I can't see any effects on the basket weave or the grill. I just realised you have the P-DVR which is essentially the original MPVR under another name. This one has the 3MP sensor and didn't suffer from the problem that the PVR currenlty has.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 4:52 AM   #13

hey everyone, i decided finally even though this camera has been alot of fun. I plan to return it and get a sony dcr-ip5. Although its not as crafty as the new hybrids, the quality should be way better. But no matter where i look i can not find any sample clips or user forums. Anyone know where to look or have any personal input?

thanks, i hope i made the right choice we will see in a couple days.
antix3300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:50 AM   #14

Unfortunately even reviews rarely provide sample video of the camcorders. especially tape or DVD based ones.

This camera uses yet another obscure Sony proprietry format, MicroMV that uses MPEG-2 compression. This also means you have the same editing problems as the hybrids but with the added disadvantage of a proprietry tape format.

I'd be wary of buying one now as apparently Sony is not offering new models anymore due to it being an unsuccessful format.

When they introduced the MicroMV format in 2001, I guess it made sense as tape is cheap compared to flash memory. Now that flash memory is coming in larger much more inexpensive sizes it doesn't make sense to use a tape based format anymore although the MicroMV does have a higher bitrate still at the moment.

If you do buy, hopefully they'll still be selling the MicroMV for awhile. They still do for MiniDisc Players (Of which I have one) which have effectively been superseded by MP3 players. I guess the one advantage both these formats have is that the media is still sufficiently cheaper than flash memory that you don't need to copy the content to a PC for reuse. You can just keep them as they are stored in a box somewhere until you decide what you want to do with them.

Considering a MicroMV tape on amazon.com costs $12 for one and a 1GB SD Card can be had for well under $20 now, it can't be that long now before flash memory will be cheap enough to merely archive rather than reuse, at least for hybrid MPEG4 quality anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:01 PM   #15

yeah i hear what youre saying, I also loved the idea of storing the media on small memory cards and just being able to pop them into my computer. It is pretty cool, BUT the quality of video and size of camera are way more important. Im gonna order a few tapes from ebay at about 12 each. I got the cam for about 140$ so i think all in all its a sweet deal. From what i can tell the cam isnt too too much bigger than the aiptek i have. I know people had issues with editing the footage to begin with and ultimatly thats why the format failed, but eventually the support raised for the format and from what i understand its not a problem anymore.. unfortunatly for sony it came to late and after all the bad reviews it ultimatly failed. But for me this is a super plus, because now you can snag what seems to be a sweet ass camcorder for super cheap. When it came out in what i believe was 02 i think it was about 1300-1400$!!! and i got it for 140 with shipping!? If its as good as i think it is, then its an awesome deal. So i will let you know when i get it in the next few days. Then maybe people will convert till the price and quality of the hybrids improves. I mean you could get a decent xacti for 300-400 BUT the quality still isnt comparable even to dv, in my book. So if this goes right maybe i will be spreading the gospel of micromv. Anyone with any recent micromv experience care to introject?

oh and its got a touchscreen, pretty sweet, extra gimmick? who cares its cool. I will keep in touch and in the meantime i will play with my aiptek some more. Im taking it on my trip to chicago tomorrow, then im gonna take it back.. maybe.. haha
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:37 PM   #16

Yeah that's a good deal. When you get this, since it uses MPEG2 format, would you be able to upload a short clip so we can see the quality as well? The Hard Drive camcorders also use the MPEG2 format so no need for tapes anymore but of course they are still expensive compared to the device you just bought. Hope you have fun with it!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:48 AM   #17

yeah i will upload some footage for sure. I would also like to get a user forum going for those obscure fans out there. I searched the net high and low for weeks trying to find footage. Either this thing is going to really suck or no one has caught on. I will let you all know.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:49 AM   #18

What Hybrid are we talking about now in here? I understand it was the PVR, now you have something else?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:34 AM   #19

hey, yeah sorry to sidetrack. But i decided to get a sony dcr-ip5, i think thats what its called. Its a micromv based system. The reason for this was small size, cheap price and from what i understand great quality video. It has downsides but i think its the right thing for me till the memory storing hybrids advance a bit. Lemme know what you think.