Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:09 PM   #1

HI everybody,

On my search for camcorder which can

take reasonably good video in low light situation, I found this model. See

http://www.ranger-technology.com/Ima...v980/DV980.htm

I am excited over this finding. I hope to have your opinion

comparing this to Digilife DDV-1000 which so far was

the recommended model for low light (and low budget :lol

Here is an extract on DV 980 for your reading.

The RANGER DVGenius 980 Digital Video Camcorder allows you to enjoy a clear view of images and video captured with its enlarged 2.4" TFT LCD. Equiped with Auto Focus Zoom Lens, 3.0 Megapixels CMOS Sensor, allowing interpolation of up to an unbelievable 10 Megapixels, every picture captured is at its finest.

The stunning 5-in-1 RANGER DVGenius 980 Digital Video Camcorder does more than the usual Video Recording, it also effectively performs as Digital Camera, Voice Recorder, MP3 Player and PC/Web Camera.

Kiss goodbye to shaky images and jerky videos with the newly Enhanced Video Stabilizer Technology found in the RANGER DVGenius 980. Now you can optimize viewing of your precious moments captured on your wide screen TV and its 16:9 mode! Built-in LED light allows recording in dark conditions. On top of all, the RANGER DVGenius 980 has an optical zoom of up to 3 times and 8 times Digital Zoom.

MYJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:23 PM   #2

Aiptek is partners isn't that funy?

take not how they loo alike even the IS-DV2 but hey elf software minipulated?

excellent find

now i want one

Ranger DVGenius 680 Small in Size, BIG in Performance

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:02 PM   #3

Yes as Fishycomics said, it looks like it's a clone of an Aiptek. I suspect that Aiptek doesn't design its own devices but merely puts their badge on them.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:15 AM   #4

WhatI don't understand is the older Ranger model DV880 has 5.0MP CMOS but DV980 has only 3.0MP CMOS. In term of video/picture quality, will this mean DV880 is better then DV980?

Digilife DDV 1000 has 5M CCD. I am wondering can 3.0M CMOS perform better then 5M CCD?

At first I sort of made up my mind to get Digilife DDV 1000 or Creative 525D. But now I am undecided :?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:52 AM   #5

If this is a clone of the Aiptek Z 100 Pro (Aiptek Zoom DV in USA), the DDV-1000 is better in low light (I have a 1000 and a Zoom).

The Zoom does well in good light. The 3X optical zoom is a plus over the DDV-1000. You can use the zoom while taking video but it takes the auto focus a while to re-focus on the new view. Macro mode is better (closer) than that on the DDV-1000.

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:50 AM   #6

It is funny how we are guessing which came first the chicken or the egg.

the Supacam camera was created out of a apartment house and orginated by one Person

I believe it was the other way around that person found a way to invent something a lil btter then the people who created the model. and won his pantent.

This tells you the aiptek/ranger.digilife 5 cmos sensor can possably have advantages/disadvantages

and the 3 meg the same as well.

my questions of seeing if i can get my hands on one? or just an answer? from thesite. so far I see no way of a Purcahse on that site?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:41 PM   #7

Fishycomics, I came to know about Ranger in April 2006 when they displayed their products in a PC Fair. I had a hand on their DV Genius 600 but don't like the model design as I don't feel comfortable with the way to hold the camera.

Next month, there will be another PC Fair.Yesterday I have emailed to ask Ranger if they are going to display their products again. I have also ask who are their dealer/agent and what are the prices for 980 & 680.As at now,I have not receive reply yet.

I am curious about the build-in LED light allows recording in dark conditions. I wonder how good it is? How far can it light up the objects? etc..etc.. etc..

Last night I try using a LED torchlight with my Grandvision J9. The video in my room with flourescent light will come out grainish(noise). But with LED light, the centre object is better but overall is still grainish.

Old HACer, do you have a sample of DDV1000 video in flourescent/low light to show me? I am still thinking of getting DDV1000.

Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:06 PM   #8

MyJulie do not forget me if you find out Please:-)

1. the 600 I own I agree the hold is good but the record button is not positioned for video correctly it is a right hand camcorder if it is a newer version where the ltps screen goes 279 degre it is better if it is a 180 degree screen bad,

the Mustek fv4500 series is a far better holding one

but we get acustomed to different models.

Now the led video record lights they will make a round video and only light up a forcefeild of 3 fet LOL no kidding it is more like you needing something to see in around you and the camera needs a 100 watt cadesant bulb

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

force to buy and review whilesome may recieve free.........

qhere is led on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGUTA_CTO3c

camcorders view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vib-n8zo_z8

14-15

here is with it on walking to a wall be warned the deasal is loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ci2vaCPCa8
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:57 PM   #9

MYJulie wrote:
Quote:
Old HACer, do you have a sample of DDV1000 video in flourescent/low light to show me? I am still thinking of getting DDV1000.

I don't have any fluorescent lights in my home. Will take some stills and video at work next week, when I return from Thanksgiving holidays. I will also do some low light tests.

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:06 PM   #10

Thanks, fishycomicsfor the video of how LED work in video camera.

Yes... the result is similar as my last night's experiment. So LED lightingis nothing to be excited of. As usual the product release is exaggerate to tempt people to buy it on impulse.

I think I better stick to my choice of DDV1000.