Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:27 PM   #1

So I just bought one of these on eBay. You might wonder what I'm doing buying such an outdated design. Well, don't tell her, but it's a Christmas present for our daughter. She's been saying she wants both a digital camera and an mp3 player for Christmas, so, voila, both in one.

I would have preferred the Aiptek DV5300 or clones of it, but, alas, no mp3 player.

Along the way I also found a way that we Canadians can simplify purchase of hybrids using eBay. If you logon to www.eBay.ca, and set the "Country" field to Canada, it will show only items from Canadian sellers, and sometimes also items from sellers who will ship to Canada. Buying items from Canadian sellers avoids all the hassles with the border.

And if you do searches for the popular hybrid names, or "mpeg4" "camcorder", etc, you'll find there's a reasonable selection of hybrids available in Canada. You don't get swamped with thousands of listings because there's not a huge number of Canadian sellers.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2

Congrats on winning the auction sgspirit. Hope your daughter has a lot of fun with it. I too was watching that auction. I went to bed last night with a price in mind and if it was still under that when I got up I would of placed a bid. No such luck though. Seems this guy from BC had put it up to $58 :-) At least the seller had a decent shipping cost. Some want $35+ for shipping. Crazy.

I'm new to hybrids so I'm looking for something that's either budget priced online or a product I can pickup in the store and return if I don't like it, or if something goes wrong.

I picked up a Vivitar DVR-310 from Walmart for $139 Cdn (regular $178.99) today but haven't opened it yet, still trying to get some more info on it. It's a little more than I wanted to pay but as you know theres not much available to us canucks from the retail stores. Canadian Tire, The Brick and Walmart are the only chains I know of that carry hybrids. What I wouldn't give for a Walgreens, or Target. Seems they have some pretty good deals.

Scott
Scott C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3

Yes, and my highest bid was a little higher than that. So I breathed some relief when the other bidders dropped out before I did.

The main game on this forum is hybrids, of course. But there are amusing sub-scripts such as being first to report new models. Another favoured activity is about getting these cameras as cheap as possible off eBay.

I don't see this Mustek as being a super buy, because it was used. And it remains to be seen what condition it's in. I may not feel very smug if it looks bad.

As for the Vivitar DVR-310, it's part of a line I don't now much about, nor do the contributors here.

I'd say if you want to be basically happy with lower end hybrids, don't settle for anything that does 640x480 video at less than 25 frames per second (and I couldn't find that spec for this Vivitar), or does not have a flash. The mp3 function is personal preference. Image stabilization is important to me, but absent from the lower end. And optical zoom is just not part of the cheaper ones.

If you can spring for it, the hybrid being sold by Canadian Tire and the Brick is one I used to have. Other than the weak sound system, I think quite highly of it. I'm guessing they might go on sale cheap closer to, or after Christmas.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:09 AM   #4

75.00 , 73.00 shipped to the door wit h extras is what you can get on this newer style hybrid

the 5200 is not an old model at all it is a updated , newer design model from the older version the muste dv3500

2 megapixals 5.4 interpolated great choice but fair price.

they make this Hybrid as high as 8 megs interpolated.

Your daughter will not Put this model down, and wil out record your other hybrids

Best of luck and hope she enjoys the present....

we again look for the newest, least amount, a
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:09 AM   #5

Did we play around wih the Mustek Yet?

I understand , it is not easy to find the firmware on tehse models. I wonder if thee is a upgrade, I would not even ask for it as they do not have any flaws.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:06 PM   #6

It's an eBay purchase, so I don't expect to see it for a while yet.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:58 AM   #7

Heres hoping the camera is in as good as shape as the seller says it is. One persons description of good shape may not be anothers. Fingers crossed.

Not to hijack your thread but I just won an auction for a used Aiptek IS-DV2 for $36 US. With a $10 - $15 US standard postal charge it's not bad considering what other hybrids are going for right now. I've seen the same model new go for $110+ US on Ebay. I read Fishy's review and some other posts on the camera and I think I can live with it's faults for the cost. Time will tell. The IS and LED light might come in handy such as they are. As well is lists as recording 640x480 at up to 30fps. I also like the 2 AA battery power. Have lots of NiCads.

The IS-DV2 was listed in "as new condition" so like you I can only hope. The only catch is that it's just the camera and the manual, nothing else. I'm not overly concerned about the missing software and cables as I have a 1/8" mini jack to RCA and a couple Mini USB cables. Plus an SD card reader which I would probably use more often than the cables. I think Movie Maker will work with it as well I have some older video software that I believe can handle ASF files. There's also simple freeware software too. If I find I don't like the camera I can always list it in the buy and sell, or Ebay it.

As for the Digilife DV-7000 clone at Canadian Tire and The Brick. CanTire up here doesn't know apples from oranges. I've phoned just about every other day and one girl says theres 6 on order, the next says they won't be getting any more. Even their website was listing it as "in stock", which was wrong. Heck they even list the same camera twice on the web site but with 2 different stock numbers and prices. The Brick's G-TEC 5-in1 camera went back up to $299.99 Cdn. Pretty costly when compared to other models of the same camera.

Scott
Scott C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:55 AM   #8

For those who have a side-game of seeing how cheap we can get hybrids, their growing popularity has provided us with the new opportunity of getting used ones even cheaper. As we know, not everyone's going to like them, and many of those who do, will want to upgrade.

Too bad Canadian Tire can't get things straight. I suspect their staff may be buying them before they reach the shelves. And yes, the pricing, especially by the Brick, has varied wildly. Odd that both places advertise a "regular" price, when, as far as I know, they never sold these before the "sale" prices. I thought that was against the law.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:11 AM   #9

The Mustek DV5200 arrived today. I was half-expecting wear such as paint worn off the exposed corners of the case, but other than about 3 almost invisible small scratches, it looks brand new. I was surprised to determine that the 5200 did not come with earphones.

Tested, and it works fine. Being used to a 2.5" screen now, the 1.5" screen seems ridiculous. Anyway, come Christmas, I'm sure the new owner will be delighted.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:38 PM   #10

Compelled to play with this thing, I've found it has a surprising array of controls. The dim light performance is much better than I expected.

However, comparing the sound quality, using the same earphones, of the MP3 player against my Samsung i6, the DV5200 is pathetic. It makes the i6 sound like a premium sound system with subwoofer.