Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:47 PM   #1

Figured I'd ask my SD card/ hybrid related questions here instead of on the memory card forum. Keep it in the family as it were.

1. Is there any particular brand(s) of SD memory cards that one should stay away from. Also is there certian brands/models of hybrids that don't like certian brands of SD cards.

I've been looking online for decent priced SD cards from places like Tigerdirect.ca. They have some 1GB generic brands (A-Data, Ultra, etc) for $14 Cdn and up. I can't get a 1GB card for under $50 here in the retail stores, unless there's a sale. Which in most cases require mail in rebates. Heck if the $15 cards work I'd order a couple.

2. Is there a big difference when using the high speed SD cards in the hybrids as a posed to a regular SD card.

Thanks.

Scott C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:22 AM   #2

the glory of a hybrid is. they use any speed in there.

the hybrid has a buffer reader andwriter and it is capable of storing, and transfering the bit rate over just fine to a standard sd /mmc card

Some say higher is better on these, nottrue.

For example sandisk 128,256 works fine on the hanshing 506v 6.6 meg hybrid, but the 512 will fail, placing a kingston 512 it works.

on the MPVR upt o 1 gig , panasonic, kingston pny A-Data all work fime for me except when I load my firmware on a kingston it does not work fine but will record it is funny it may be a mmc card but says sd

most will work and some may fail, Please tell uswhat hybrid it is that you're after or haveto get a 1 gig card.

try newegg.com ebay etc.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:20 AM   #3

Scott, I have many different brands that I have ordered from newegg.com. I always go for the cheapest. I don't see the point myself in spending too much as it's still not clear cut that paying more gets you vastly better reliability. Unless someone has already tried them, it's a case of trial and error. So far I have not had an incompatible card. As long as reviews of a particular card have over 90% postive rating then they should be fine as I have seen reviews where people have a card go bad on them even on the more well known or established brands.

As for speed, the beauty of the MPEG4 devices as fishycomics said, is that they only need a regular speed card so money is wasted on faster cards though the speed may be useful for reading in a card reader.

In fact, if you read in the Sanyo forum for instance (although not strictly a hybrid, they are still MPEG4 camcorders), you will see talk that highspeed cards are often NOT recommended as the device can have trouble with them, so I stick with the regular or low speed devices in mine.

Luckily SD cards are getting so cheap now, that you can afford to try brands out and if it doesn't work then if you can't return it, at least it hopefully won't break the bank!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys. It's nice to know I can use the cheaper brands so as to save a few dollars.

Thanks for the Newegg.com link Fishy. Seems by their FAQ that they only ship within the US and Puerto Rico though. I only took a quick look on Ebay but have found a person right here in BC that sells the A-Data 1GB cards for $18 Cdn and only $5 Cdn to ship. That's about the cost of a 512mb card at Walmart.

As for what hybrid I'll use the card in. It's a IS-DV2 I bought used the other day off Ebay. I kind of hijacked sgspirits Purchased: Mustek DV5200 thread with the details. I know I can use up to a 2GB card in the camera but since I'll only be using the it for quick shots here and there the 1GB card should be fine. A 512 might even do it but the cost difference between that and a 1GB card online is next to nill.

Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:17 AM   #5

Is-DV2 is an excellent starters hybrid camera.

2 ig is way overkill. but 1 gig willdeffently keep you busy you'll run out of memory befor battery life :G

I owned it twice returned ittwice due to

daylight wash ifyou can keep in mind that you'rerecording and not need to look at the screen :|

you're in bussiness

Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:36 AM   #6

I too thought a 2GB card would be a little much. I have a 512MB CF card for my Canon A75 and even on a small trip I only used up half of it.

Not to go off topic but I watched your IS-DV2 video review and seen the quality of the still images and video from Rgvcam's storage site and liked what I saw. If all is well with the camera (not broken) then I think for an intro into the hybrid world it should do me fine.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:44 AM   #7

it is a fine hybrid

1 no need to worry about the clip, and pict overwriting, love the feature it has to continue when deleting the sd card, not the cameras memory.

2, Just the sd. usb flap will get lose or open when in the pocket and out all the time, the sd card is clicked in.

3 Zooming in with the digital zoom, use the SmartZoom, but always have to set every camera shut off.

4. last thing is trying to film with a non-swival, and going smaller to a tft screen is hard.

Pics are great. i should load to Pbase but I never take the time to do things that is bad.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:15 PM   #8

I have also just been buying 1GB cards since on my devices the battery would run out before I used up 2GB anyway. Also there is the case of not having "all your eggs in one basket" so to speak if you suffer from a corrupted card. Better to have several smaller cards than one big one unless of course you are recording a long event where the changing of cards would interrupt the continuity of the video. If the battery doesn't last long enough to fill a 2GB card then you may as well use smaller cards anyway as the effect would be the same.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote