Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:10 PM   #1

hi guys:G

i've been reading this forum for quite awhile now and think that you pros might be able to help me a problem regard digilife's DVs...

Like my old DV from digilife, dv-5120agets errors randomlywhen transferring filesfrom the DV to the computer (or vis versa) via USB cable. feels like the usb link between the DV and the computeris very very unstable and could give error at anytime. if the error occur, clicking the DV drive in my computer again you will see nothing inside, sometimes the DV driver keeps reappearing n dissapear over n over...

i tested with 1gb sd card which:
  1. came with the dv-5120a (offical package)[/*]
  2. has about 900mb recorded video, 2 mp3 songs, and few 12mp photos (full SD card in other words)[/*]
  3. works fine with other devices like card reader.
[/*]
on 3 different computers. out of 16 times, only once all the file were transfered onto the computer without interrupting by error message.

i'vesearched through the forumbut didn't come across people having(or talking about)this problem (or i just dunno how to use search forum properly :sad so can you guys help me :roll:i only got this dv 2 days ago, if this is a common problem with digilife products.. i shall return it like my last digilife cam -_-

Thank you very much

Michael

themoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:48 PM   #2

themoses welcome aboard. you're now an Official member 2 posts. a big Welcome

1. Please, PLEASE post some sample videos.

we'll add this to the vid sample section to.

sd card or mmc card? have you tried other sd or mmc card?

On the site, I have not heard of any other member or post. so far. about this. hopefuly others who are owners will v comefoward of theweb good luck hope you correct the issues?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3

Between all the "regulars" here and all the cameras we've used, this is either rarely or never reported. I'd be most suspicious of the cable.

You could borrow or buy a card reader and plug that into the computer to transfer the files between the memory card and the computer. Many newer computers come with SD card slots. This way you could bypass the camera and cable, and see if the problem is the memory card or corrupted files. By trying several computers, you've already shown the problem is not the computer.

Presumably the camera has some integrated memory which will be used if you don't put a memory card in it. Try recording onto that and see if they transfer ok to the computer. This would verify that the cable and camera are ok, and turn suspicion to the memory card.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:12 AM   #4

bestsharing.com load that clip up

like sg says

if there is not a correct settingthen it will be widescreen all the time

pro camcorderw16 ratio ro 4 ratio my clips are all 16 ratio on youtube now I corrected them no dofference on viewing
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:54 AM   #5

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
themoses welcome aboard. you're now an Official member 2 posts. a big Welcome

1. Please, PLEASE post some sample videos.

we'll add this to the vid sample section to.

sd card or mmc card? have you tried other sd or mmc card?

On the site, I have not heard of any other member or post. so far. about this. hopefuly others who are owners will v comefoward of theweb good luck hope you correct the issues?
Thank you :G~ I will try and upload some samples but now right now cos i'm in some random cafe and their wireless is kinda slow (but it's free ^^)

about the DV to PC file transfer which goes poo... i'm going to their customer service tomorrow and they'll test it out if it's just the cable or something else, but i'm pretty sure it's the design flaw because i dont think i'm bad luck enough to get bad usb cables from both digilife DVs... and the girl answering my call did mention something like 'technical flaws' , ofcourse she did not say much but oh well i don't expect such cheap device can be perfect, i still like it very much.

also on the other post (i don't want to double post.. seems rude so i'll just post here) about the cam recorder's microphone, i think it's great personally, because when recording outdoor, it gets all the loud say.. ppl talking out of a speaker with loudest volume sounds with no... u know.. crusty burst sound that would break your speakers..

i recorded few clips from the taiwanese annual end of the year computer exhibition and basicly i nearly went deaf after spending just few hours inside. but i was pretty pleased with the clip i recorded cos it captured pretty much all the sound without going 'BOOYA' n kill my speakers..

so well, i will post those vids up somehow, but please don't check for the update every hour because i'm going back to new zealand very soon so i'm quite busy :'( (i'm in taiwan for holiday :> n visit me families)

and sorry if most of what i wrote doesn't make sense, i haven't use english for awhile now... abit rusty n engrish..ish...

^^ that's all for now

thank you~
Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:44 AM   #6

As long as you remember to bring me my present?

It is great you are persnally going to SEE the people

get it on film:G

priceless moment

one minute later, are we there yet? have a great trip? we're all not perfect, and that makes it even better.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:25 PM   #7

Hey guys, i'm back in new zealand now, it took awhile for me to get online cause of few issues with my desktop computer (it's gettin the motherboard replaced):sad:.

anyway, i did went to their actual company to have a go at explaning whats going on with their products, it went for about 4 hrs... long story short:

what they said were:
1. i'm the first person who had this issue
2. it might be the SD card which is crappy (even tho it's the card offically came with the package)

what they found out:
1. all their dv does it (or at least dv5120a), they all "picking cards", as some of the sd card they just don't want to work with (or work well with).
2. even with a completely compatible SD card (cards that's in the safty list which i didn't see), this error WILL still occur occasionally.
3. their technicians were not aware this problem.
4. they will have to make updates with their firmware hope to fix this issue. (but dunno if they would actually do so)

what I go at the end.
1. the SD card their head of department have (he has a dv 6120a not released yet hehe...). he gave to me because it works better with my dv.
2. an apology for not be able to fix this issue at the time because it's an hardware issue.
3. promised they'll contact me personally once they have fix this issue thru for example fireware update (they said there are firmware flash programs avaiible for download if they are doing this)
4. a brand new dv-5120 as an exchange for my old one
5. three extra batteries... so now i have 4....

so it turns out ok, i was gonna ask for that 6120 he has but i thought i better leave them alone lol... but because of that hrm.. my test video files i was gonna upload is gone aswell :/ but seems that my thread has been pushed down the page i think maybe i dont have to upload samples anymore cos the hit for this dv has died down hehe... i still will if ppl wanted me to tho lol...

Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:09 AM   #8

Very Very interesting story, thanks for telling it. Ya, my guess is that the company will put out a firmware update and you basically update your camera with that.
DV-9300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:27 AM   #9

themoses

did you mention my name and can i get a hybrid to test and review for free?:G

Sorry to here the news but hopingall the models would be pulled rather passed on to the Public by sales without notification like the han-shing 305V 6.6 meg hybrid atthe Yardsale you know the place?