Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:46 PM   #1

Our son just started crawling the other day and we figured it was time to get a camcorder that would be easy to use. Here is our wish list:

1. Good quality video even when filming inside the house
2. Save the format in .MOV because we use a Mac
3. Be under $200

Is this a good one to go with? The reviews on Amazon.com say nothing but positive praise:

http://www.puredigitalinc.com/produc...deo/index.html

My question is, should I buy this little inexpensive one? Or should I pay a bit more to have the ability to add additional memory, high definition video, etc?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
polishedstaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:59 PM   #2

For a minute I thought you were going to buy your son his first camcorder! :G

Most of these type of devices don't do as well indoors due to their small size and lens. Having said that, if you have good indoor lighting then it's surprising what you can achieve. It also depends on what you mean as 'good quality' as this means different things to different people. Some define good quality as that achieved by an expensive miniDV while others such as myself are more charitable (otherwise I wouldn't be using one myself). I also use mine to film my young son.

The device you are looking at, is quite reasonable indoors from what I have seen and if the person who has one still visits this forum, he or she can give you advice on whether this may suit your needs.

You need to buy the device from a place that has a good return policy so you don't get stuck with a device that doesn't achieve what you want.

You may want to look at the Sanyo XActi C40 in Radioshack as it's $199 at the moment. I have this exact model, although I bought my on amazon.com and it is quite reasonable indoors due to it having a CCD instead of a CMOS sensor.

I took it to the zoo with me a week at Thanksgiving and it was great fun to use. I could then just send the clips to my friends and relatives!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:05 PM   #3

your Son or child even our pets are precious in every way to us ,every second of theday

they say that model is not bad at all and proforms excellent in low light. wish I remembered the persons name here , may need to look in the ispan ddv 920 section for his clip?

runs around 92 dollars and at a few stores target is one

a pro camcorder will be the best bet

MPVR storage sd card if asf filesand a sd card is workable I still go Pure digital......

I suggest a pro camcorder dvc tape is not bad if you have a tv card or fire wire it'll transfer over. bot a mac user sorry

but hey

here is a video I just finished allow a few more minutes to youtube

it is procamcorder, a jvc and talking about a hybrid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9rRGBsKWAo

200 plus gets you better video on a camcorder

if not look into the digital cameras that do both for example olympus canon
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:56 PM   #4

In that price bracket, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Digilife/Ispan DDV-920 for this purpose. It works fine unless you're using candlelight.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5

Can you give me a link for this one? I can't find it on the web.

Thanks.

Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:55 AM   #6

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

Sorry if I sounded a lil offtopic, but did you notice the threads? wonder if it is how I displayed it?

Not mac friendly the ispan 920? lose all features and functions for a non waranty hybrid

here is a video of the hybrid not an actual footage

http://media.putfile.com/mpvr-still-in-stores
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:36 AM   #7

I went to my local Radio Shack and didn't see the C40. Then I went to the radioshack.com website and it didn't have the camcorder listed either. Was your local store an exception?

So I bought the Pure Digital one from Costco, because they have a good return policy. I must say I'm very impressed with the quality in low light conditions. However, I think I still may return this unit because when I play it on my computer, The window can't be very big before the video starts to become pixelated.

I guess I'm confused. I thought this camera, since it can play nicely on your TV set, would be easily be able to play in a fairly large window on my 17 inch iMac. I want the ability to resize the window, and may be play full screen, without the image getting grainy and such. Is this even possible? Do I have to buy a HD camcorder to achieve this? Does the C40 have better resolution than the Pure Digital one?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:56 AM   #8

one what is the setting of the camera

640x480 320x240 etc?

cannot find it online, I found the camcorder?

512 or 1 gig a few dollars more for 1 gig?

post a video clip up,

go to bestsharing.com and place the link here. I'll see if i can opt to a bigger screen size even a dvd playback on my big tv?

one step at a time
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:57 AM   #9

bestsharing.com says that my region can not upload because it's reached it's quote or something. Know of any other good website where I can upload without having to register?

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:26 PM   #10

bestsharing.com will be back up and running later they reached their limit

try rapidshare.com