Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:51 PM   #1

My IS-DV2 arrived today and like the auction listed, it was/is in "as new" condition. The LCD screen protector and the Aiptek Logo protector were still in place and not a scratch or mark is on the camera. It would of been nice to get all the accessories with the camera but for the low price of $36 US I'm happy. The thing sure is small and compact. I believe this particular camera was used as a demo for a home shopping channel in Florida.

My Canon A75 USB cable works perfect with the IS-DV2 as does the A/V cable. I have an ASF to MPG file converter which worked great with the little test videos I took so importing the MPG file into Video Wave 3 was a breeze. I'll mainly be making VCD's and sending them to friends and family so I don't need anything too fancy.

I managed to get a two pack of PNY 1GB SD cards for $39.99 here at Futureshop the other week and they work perfect. At least the one I've been using has. Formatted it in the camera and I was good to go.

The MP3 feature, be it simple, is nice. I hooked up the headphones from my Mpio MP3 player and the sound was very good. At least to my old ears. Having the LCD go off when it's closed while playing MP3's is a nice feature. I thought it might of stayed on. While it doesn't have many if any MP3 options, the fact that it can play them is what I like.

Over the next couple days, if the weather holds out, I'll go outside and take some stills and video to see how well they look using the various settings. The video I took inside this afternoon wasn't bad but like mentioned in other posts about indoor video, it was a little grainy. Not a problem by me.

My first impression with the camera is a good one. Especially for the price and what it can do. Even with shipping and the US-Cdn exchange it was around $60 Cdn to my door. Not too shabby for a camera that I think will get a fair bit of use. Especially on decent days.

Scott

Scott C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:20 PM   #2

you got a great deal that was my hybrid:Gkidding?

1 you'll find out thattaking snaps and vids you wil not worry about overwrite at all , loved that feature.

2 you'll love that thatthehbridwill film, play over 3 hours ona set of rechargables

Is-dv2 review is in here you may read up and learn alot

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

bestthing I likedwas its design worstthing I hate was washout on a 1.5 ichscren something like that 3x owner returned all 3x.

My Mustek was new came in wit ha fingerprint and I got creditback andfree stuff. glad you got a new one. or like new happy your happy:|
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 7:57 PM   #3

Actually Fishy it WAS your review of the IS-DV2 that made me bid on the camera in the first place. So I either have you to blame or thank

Your knowledge of the hybrids is a big help to us who are just getting into them. As is SGspirit and Old HACer's. I've viewed SG's hybrid list numerious times when looking at the cameras on ebay and online sites.

When reading your IS-DV2 review topic, MrChipsDigital mentioned (from Aiptek support) that he had to remove the batteries from the camera before the PC would recognize it when connected via USB. I don't have to do that. I wonder why ? Different firmware may be. Or updated drivers from Aiptek's site.

Heres my PC setup:

- Win XP Home with SP2 installed on an old Athon 700 with 256mb ram.
- IS-DV2 Driver and Web cam software from Aiptek.com (no CD came with the camera)
- IS-DV2 is set to "Disk".
- Energizer rechargable batteries left in camera. Full to 1/2 charge left.
- PNY 1GB SD card
- USB cable plugged into USB ports on motherboard, not PCI card.

Heres what I do:

- Let XP load.
- Plug in IS-DV2 and open up the LCD panel. LCD turns on and then goes off.
- After a second or 2, XP displays the "what do you want to do" popup window.
- I just close the window.
- Open Explorer and the IS-DV2 is listed as a removable drive (drive E).
- Click on folders from Drive E and view files. As well I can copy and move files to and from the camera.

If I choose the "Menu" option in the cameras settings the LCD screen turns on and displays "Disk" and "'Camera" when connected via USB. Once I choose Disk the LCD turns off. I clicked on Camera the other night but didn't watch to see what the LCD did. I was too busy playing with the web cam software.

It's weird why I can leave the batteries in and all works fine, yet for him it didn't. If I had to remove the batteries everytime I connected the camera to the PC I'd be a little ticked too. What a hassle.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:42 PM   #4

now did you remove the external card and recognise the internal?

great to here. looking foward to more info great job again
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:15 PM   #5

I just removed the SD card and went through my usual "connect to PC" routine as listed above and the 2 video clips and 2 image files on the internal memory showed up, no problem. The camera was listed as removable Drive E in Explorer.

So with or without an SD card in the camera, XP on my PC has no problems reading, copying or moving the files on the camera while batteries are in it.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:54 AM   #6

If I remember correctly, I never gone that far to connect the Is-DV2 to the Pc?

the orginal Is-dv usb cable does not have a 5vdc power, nor does the IS-DV2, and most likely the VS-DV3. sameholds truefor the T300 models?

they do sell usb ports with a powersupply to run non powered usb devices, but the USB misses a lead inside?

Battery life is excellent so no worries at all for this. great it all works out,