Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:15 PM   #11

MyJulie, not all Casio cameras save video using MPEG4 compression. Check the Wikipedia page for Casio models to get an indication of which ones have MPEG4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exilim . I believe that MPEG4 allows to save about 1 hour of video at [email protected]/s per 1gb. AVI and MOV are not really compression formats but rather containers for specific compression algorithms. So, it's impossible to tell what it means when AVI or MOV compression is advertised. MPEG4 itself has some variants, but not like with AVI and MOV.

As far as batteries are concerned, I'm looking for the ones that will perform well in the cold, because I'm planning on shooting some skiing action. I read somewhere that Lithium ones are better for that.

tsg, Samsung NV3 looks hot. Really slim and no protruding lens, yet 3x magnification. Besides, 720X480 @ 20 is something! Though I read reviews that claim that the still image quality is not that great. It would be cool if you can post some sample videos. I didn't know that some Casios disable zoom on video. I'll watch out for that when considering the Casios.
isusanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:35 AM   #12

isusanin wrote:
Quote:
sgspirit, I like your point about good filming technique. Extensive zooming and panning can easily spoil any video taken even with an excellent camcorder. This is actually the reason I thought I don't really need a camera with a powerful zoom, but on the other hand, I want to be able to frame the scene. Also, image stabilization seems to be pretty important.

Thank you for suggesting the Samsung NV series, I'll definitely take a look at those. Are there any other digital cams with MPEG4 worth considering?
I'm supposed to be well informed about hybrids, not dsc's:-) Looks like the others have fine advice on dsc's. An advantage of the Samsung i6 and probably the NV3 is that the optical zoom does not extend the lens outside the camera body. Those things are prone to jamming from dirt, and basically the camera is garbage when that happens.

Image stabilization means you can walk with the camera recording video, without excessive camera movement. This means you can "dolly" etc. on your own, rather than using a zoom. Of course, this is no good for shooting distant scenery.

If you open the "Hybrid List" topic, at the bottom of the post with the list, is a link to a page within this site where someone was maintaining a list of all the dsc's that take 640x480 video. Seems to me it's not up-to-date, though.

tsg2513 - that's a GREAT price for an NV3! They are $380 cdn here, and then there's 13% taxes on top of that.

The 720x480 mode is only good for display on a wide-screen tv. Otherwise, it gives you no extra detail, and knocks the acceptable 30 frames per second back to the insufficient 20fps.

So how are the stereo speakers? And the user interface? I will never get used to the i6's byzantine controls.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:03 AM   #13

cough, cough, Sspirit. do you mean the video sample center?

sitting on theside lines here, but wil say my part.

Mpeg4 in a hybrid, vs mpeg4 in a dsc.

kodakz612 video sample

http://media.putfile.com/kodack

kodak sample when I owned the camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8qSWeYcbs

these are dsc videos and you may compare to the hybrid aiptek MPVR as the topic, we're talking about.

1 we asked are dsc quality better than the aipteks hybrid? andwe're putting up models to compare by, that are the Casio.

and older version models of dsc major brands as well.

IsUsanin wants info on the casio p505, exislim 6 megand up, vs the Aiptek MPVR series?

We supply the best samples of hybrids that we own, and Most of us participate in this but some do not, and reasons are internet speed, private video, or feel there are enough samples online to search for, and we candirect to a link.

back to the topic.

here is a casio video excellent video , casio video click me

here is a gadget guy good and badside of the casio tech talk

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...o+exilim+video

casio samples

[line]

have to reply on youtube for samples of the 'Samsung Digimax i6.'

http://youtube.com/watch?v=enp0xN1gXMg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Go5ASxmcA4U

[line]

these are not of the ones we own, if it were they would be posted up for display

hope this helps out.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:02 PM   #14

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=14

added note casio section:

looking at the casio for me, I hate to say no thank you still.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:54 PM   #15

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
isusanin wrote:
Quote:
sgspirit, I like your point about good filming technique. Extensive zooming and panning can easily spoil any video taken even with an excellent camcorder. This is actually the reason I thought I don't really need a camera with a powerful zoom, but on the other hand, I want to be able to frame the scene. Also, image stabilization seems to be pretty important.

Thank you for suggesting the Samsung NV series, I'll definitely take a look at those. Are there any other digital cams with MPEG4 worth considering?
I'm supposed to be well informed about hybrids, not dsc's:-) Looks like the others have fine advice on dsc's. An advantage of the Samsung i6 and probably the NV3 is that the optical zoom does not extend the lens outside the camera body. Those things are prone to jamming from dirt, and basically the camera is garbage when that happens.

Image stabilization means you can walk with the camera recording video, without excessive camera movement. This means you can "dolly" etc. on your own, rather than using a zoom. Of course, this is no good for shooting distant scenery.

If you open the "Hybrid List" topic, at the bottom of the post with the list, is a link to a page within this site where someone was maintaining a list of all the dsc's that take 640x480 video. Seems to me it's not up-to-date, though.

tsg2513 - that's a GREAT price for an NV3! They are $380 cdn here, and then there's 13% taxes on top of that.

The 720x480 mode is only good for display on a wide-screen tv. Otherwise, it gives you no extra detail, and knocks the acceptable 30 frames per second back to the insufficient 20fps.

So how are the stereo speakers? And the user interface? I will never get used to the i6's byzantine controls.
The speakers aren't bad for tiny speakers. I think the interface is very similar (if not the same) as the i6.
tsg2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:01 PM   #16

How well does the zoom during video work? Does it generate a lot of audio noise in the video? I'm wondering if Casio EX-P505 actually allows zoom during video capture. Anyone know? How about EX-Z750 and EX-S770?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:01 AM   #17

isusanin wrote:
Quote:
How well does the zoom during video work? Does it generate a lot of audio noise in the video? I'm wondering if Casio EX-P505 actually allows zoom during video capture. Anyone know? How about EX-Z750 and EX-S770?
Whatdo you thin the answer will be? ask TimTAk he seemsto have owned 3 of the p505

go to the casio and ask that question about zooming and noise

there seems to be noise on any model camera. hybrid camcorder you purchase.

ifthere is noise and it bothers you,the you'll need to either deal with it. or modify and test.

some will disconnect the mic andrelocate away from its camera base.

on the Aiptek it has no miving parts at all, it is all electronic making it asoundles hybrid , not true. it makes it quiet yes bit not soundless.

the Mustek you'll have some electronic clicking that is the mustek dv4500 witht he zoom

for your casio ithasgears in there b/cthe external lens has to???? move. and depending on noise suppression and if needed you'l either get noise or not.

Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:05 PM   #19

fishycomics, thanks for giving pointers to some more sample p505 videos. Indeed they look great.
The only thing keeping me from getting p505 is that it seems a little bulky, not pocket friendly. I'm looking for a slim camera with equally good video quality as p505. Samsung NV3 looks great but the video quality seems to be noticeably inferior to p505. How do other Exilims stack up against p505 in terms of video quality?

To summarize I'm looking for a dsc with the following parameters:
- high quality video 640x480 @ 30f/s with MPEG4 encoding
- 3x+ optical zoom, usable during video
- slim form factor
- stereo sound recording in video is a plus (p505 seems to have it)
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:18 AM   #20

Check out the Sanyo C40? $199 at Radio Shack. There are some original samples in this gallery http://dcexp.com/gallery/SanyoC40
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote