Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:30 AM   #21

I love my jvc it fits im a pocket if needed

I bought a kodak 612 returned it due to 4 mb per ten secs too much space

casio canon and others vidformat too large. 15 min 30 min hmmm I like the casio link of Panama that is the hybrid to get.

but prefrence is the key here

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:39 PM   #22

I've discovered that some of the Kodak EasyShare cams also feature MPEG-4 encoding. Anyone has them? How good are they?

fishycomics, which "casio link of Panama" are you talking about? It seems like you have a lot of useful info to contribute, but please write in sentences if it's not too much trouble.
isusanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:10 PM   #23

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=...=casio+exislim

Here is the repeated Link. you may feel free to google your search for video as I havef ound some on Yahoo?

all the information is online at your finger tips.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:01 PM   #24

Until recently most regular digital cameras used an MJPEG format usually in a .MOV container and hybrids were the ones that tended to use MPEG4. The MPEG4 compression is much more efficient but of course it needs a more powerful CPU in the device to handle it, which was the reason most cameras even now still use MJPEG. The difference between MJPEG and MPEG is that MJPEG is literally a series of JPEG images while MPEG4 only saves the changes between one frame and the next resulting in more more space efficiency of the video.

If you are only interested in the video then a hybrid is often much better value ie for under $100 you can get a device that has 640x480/30fps video that generally rivals that of regular digital cameras. The only difference is they tend to be fixed focus and use CMOS which are not very sensitive in low light conditions.

Now of course, Casio and Kodak, to name 2 are moving towards MPEG4 compression though in the case of some like the Kodak, the compression seems to be very aggresive compared to the hybrids whereas the Casios have a high quality mode thatis slightlybetter than the hybrids.

I very nearly got a Casio but I kept hearing too many quality issues with their lens gears. While it may be exagerated I am not going to take the chance and have them tell me it's not covered. In the end I got a Sanyo C40 and I am very happy with it.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:30 PM   #25

Thank you guys for helping me out. I've narrowed my choices down to a few cameras that have VGA MPEG4 video mode and are relatively small.

1. Samsung NV3
pros: tiny, internal lens, zoom and audio in video capture
cons: not sure about video quality (looking for more samples), low battery life, weak flash

2. Casio Exlim s600
pros: tiny, good video quality, strong battery
cons: zoom disabled in video, weak flash, so-so picture quality, reports of lens getting stuck, Casio tech support

3. Sanyo Xacti c4
pros: best video quality out of the three, stereo sound, 5x zoom
cons: looks like a camcorder, low battery life, weak flash

Which one should I pick? They all cost around $200. I've eliminated Exilim z850 because of the unresolved video/firmware issues, and z750 is no longer available.
isusanin is offline   Reply With Quote