Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:41 PM   #1
SH

I've got the old MPVR (silver) and I fried it or something a long time ago but still kept it. What I did was I had it hooked up to my older computer when it failed, not sure why but you would see the light come on and then immediately off when you opened it. Anyway, I had a little extra energy today to look at fishy's videos on how to take it apart and see if I could do (anything) by simply taking it apart and puting it back together. Well I did, succesfully except for the piece of tape over the image sensor, getting that whole area back squared was kind of difficult. Anyway, it LOOKED like the ribbon cable had slightly come out of the LCD side, probably nothing but I stuck it back in a little further (that's the only thing I noticed) it's probably just got slack on the inside where it really hooks up anyway but I digress. So I got it back together and all my batteries are dead so I hooked it usb to my main computer and tried it..... Much to my surprise even though the light went back off again it kept trying to light in an irregular way and I even got the screen flickering! I was amazed that it even did anything different. I tried pushing several buttons but nothing, it went back to just going off right away. I've got a battery charging and I'll give it one last shot with that but I'm sure it's a lost cause. It was fun trying though and the whole process didn't take as long as I thought it would! Heck, I didn't even think I'd be able to get it back together again. So I thought I'd share my little story with you all. I do of course have the newer black pvr anyway so I'm not at a total loss here I just always liked the silver one cause it was my first. Happy holidays everybody!
SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 5:01 PM   #2

good luck and hope it works butdid you rate the video's

silver body may be exchanged out but I would makedo with what you have the Newer MPVR+ is less onefeature sterio I keep the PVR
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:27 AM   #3
SH

I went back but I didn't see how to rate it, maybe you have to be a member? For what it's worth you did an excellent job on those videos, almost seems like you should be an Aiptek engineer and compensated for it or something.:-)I'll always keep this model around for spare parts or something even though I couldn't get it to work..
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:11 AM   #4

quite alright.

I have a mustek, purchased a spare online, asked for the seller to departthe brokne, defective one only. I had to Purchase the whole auction.

He had a defective one, most likely the chip was fried due to no lcd screen.

The Lcd screen was working , in perfect working order, i broke that part, and the battery door.

The camera did work with the tv playback it isa workin camera but not with the lcd screen and my broken one as well.

it is a remote control dream to modify this, I havenot tossed to th side but hold on to it for sentimental values (lol)

I Love theMustek, no matterwaht, Aiptek, lost my trust, but will not shame the MPVR I began to use it more and more, even though it is not perfect, nothing is perfect, we may like one thing on the hybrid , but wish we had the other thing as well.

Sorry to hear itfailed,

But did you try some electric contact cleaner or alchohol.

my sd reader isworn and when I used the correct cleaner it is a working again. on and off
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:40 AM   #5
SH

Nah it just won't boot at all. I was actually hoping to find any kind of chip that was replaceable, like a bios chip. You may find it hard to believe but I had wild visions of doing what's called a hot swap (computer) where you boot from a good bios chip and then put back the erased one and then reflash! I know sounds crazy but I actually had to do thatwith my computer I'm on right now, I accidentally erased my bios on my computer after changing bios settings and I didn't let it boot all the way. A dead bios is a fairly common phenomenon on an AbitNforce2 board. Anyway like I say it was a crazy thought but I thought maybe I could have transfered my pvr chip into the mpvr to boot and then reflash it. I'm nuts I know..
Old Dec 29, 2006, 9:54 AM   #6

no does not sound crazy, not a pro there. but what i may think is maybe that lithium battery isdead? but it is a date stamp? check that out.

did you try the usb to the tv playback turn on the camera (wink)

if it goes on that way uh oh. if notthen you hit the nail on the head?