Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:52 AM   #1

There is no real need fora video on this, but if you want one I shall.

My idea, to extend a mic to the existing one. how will I bypass , andshut off the one existing? good question?

why Am I doing this. bike riding, and havinga head set, with a wind deflector over the mic.

Will I go into ruining thebody? I may not even attempt to disfigure, I am examining if can be done.

best of all in thePic, theDXG 305 hada light to keep its logo lit Aiptek, never gone further than that, the Logo sticker is transparant for light up

Way to go Aiptek, you're not the best one out there!

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:24 AM   #2

As I lookcarefully at the project, I am not attemptingto touch it at this time.

There is very lil room for margin, and I would disconnect the main mic, andrun two wires, leavingenough slack, and drill a hol. can attach an external pic, or even switch

this would be what I would like to have acomplished, andif I had to a switch on the plug to turn on/off the mic, that would mean taking out the internal mic and placing out thebox of the hybrid

Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:28 AM   #3

aI preferre notto destroy the Is-Dv, and will have to look into some old school technique. a fishing hose suctioned over the mic and with a foam covering I'll get the extention I want.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4

those of you who think it is best t omodify a hybrid, leave it for the pro's I never modified my Is-dv, but looked at the lcd screen.

I attempted after al placed back in order 2 weeks later it feals like from the date of this topic, went on my bike vid. I thought after testing a ride around my area first the sun was too bright?

all worked fine.

now I loaded up a fresh batery , a 1 gig empty card and riden to my starting point 1.5 miles away. Stated my MPVR filming showing around the bike, then on the bike,

Now turning up the IS-DV hey what gives a total wash out? no lcd screen!

I attempted another turn on and all is working? So I makesure I see rec 00:01,02,03, okay wait 5 more secs turn the screen so less wind noise and go. 5 miles and to my 1/2 point I turn around and decided to stop the video.

I see ' no lcd screen but I dosee the green ledflicker all the time or do I think I see it? bright light and dul led not good?

I stop my tape and I switch sd cards and I got my video. I am figuring what is going wrong? a lose cable for sure?

only wil know when opened up in the house. will spray connector and make a better ribbon inspection?

so I switch models at the haldf point

I have 2 versions to edit IS-dv and MPVR

what iwill say is

Do not attempt a repair or mod on a new hybrid. you'll destroy it?

If I know the lcd is off and the camera will filme I modded a longer filmig device, but lost the screen.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:08 PM   #5

Opening up my hybrid the cable ribbon cable that is popped loose, got it back on and all isfine, will see if happs again, if does some tape on the cable and peice
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:53 PM   #6

Nice pictures.

Microphones usually use a couple of wires to a plug, rather than a flat cable to a connector. You could install a micro switch to switch between the internal mic wiring, and an external mic. There should be space somewhere in the camera to install the switch, with the knob exposed, and a micro jack for the external mic.

If the mic is on the screen, this probably wouldn't work because it would be using a flat cable into the body of the camera.

I once added a second power switch to a couple of FRS radios because when packed in baggage, the power was always getting turned on by accident. There was just room inside the radios for the switch, and I cut a tiny rectangular hole in the case so the knob was the only thing visible on the outside of the case.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:13 AM   #7

absoletely no room..

And when I did my bike run ona windy day at times i was extremely satasfied, the mic , on the screen, turned it around so the micfaced me. Cut the wind noise down a lot. I had to speak up when I was in traffic of the parkway. but all other places itworked out great

Note* Cotton over the mic or lens paper taped would probabely ct windeven further to the mic

After in myrun the lcd hard to see has no brightness, the ribbon cable poppedoff, saving me a lot of battery power LOL.

and seeing the green flicker in the rear again too hard to see duringa daylightoutting. but what a view ifwatched the video, nice blue cluody skies, ratheer white washed out slies , on any model.

Vid is in the tripodsection

As for the Mic it is sodered onto the board no wire, itwould have to be totaly removed and altered. to do what I wanted to, not worth rouining a good camera.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:46 PM   #8

Hey, that mod is a neat idea but I actually was more curious about how you dissassembled the LCD housing. I've had my IS-DV for a few years now and suddenly it is showing signs that there may be something wrong in the hinge portion of the LCD, perhaps a wire broke from opening and closing. Whenever I turn it on I have to adjust the screen and gently push/pull it out to make the images appear, otherwise it's just a white screen.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out how to open that portion of the camera up without using a little bit of unneccesary force. Got any pointers??

I noticed two screws on the inside hinge of the lcd, I bet I have to figure out how to remove those but I have no idea. Let me know how you did it. Thanks.

Also, to cut down on the wind you might try covering the mic with some kind of fur, fake or real. Of course it would need to be held together by a sort of mesh instead of leather so fake is likely your only real option. It works for tellevision boom mics so it should at least do something to cut down on the wind if not completely.
Tggrimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 6:11 PM   #9

thank you: if I remember correctly open the screen up and swivel it to you can get a micro screwdriver in both are easy to get out lol just look at it?

also there are two tabs gently pull apart. thats it. I may or did I dempo that hmmmm

may need to do one, a video
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:14 PM   #10

Thanks alot, I can't beleive I didn't think of that. It's pretty damn obvious now that you mention it, haha.
Tggrimler is offline   Reply With Quote