Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:31 PM   #1

I have tried my best with Aiptek but it seems that according to my contact at Aiptek USA, Taiwan haven't said a peep about the problem with the PVR. If they really had any interest I think we'd have heard something from them by now, but they are just sweeping it under the carpet it seems. After all these are just massed produced commodities to them.

I get the impression they just think it is just the typical minor moire effect you get to a certain extent on all MPEG4 camera's. Obviously the problem is worse than they think as my Sanyo C40 doesn't suffer from it to the extent the PVR does and neither did my old IS-DV I used to have.

Either the problem really is hardware related and they are trying to sweep it under the carpet due to the cost of recall or they really don't think it's worth it to fix the firmware in models already on the shelf. I guess not enough customers have noticed or complained about this problem and to be honest I can see where they are coming from as there hasn't really been that much response on this forum about this model.

The point of my post is, if you are thinking of buying this model on the hope they may fix the problem in the very near future, my advice is to avoid it since there are plenty of better choices out there for similar money, if you look around hard enough.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:31 PM   #2
gdo

I tend to agree that Aiptek is probably going to ignore any complaints about image quality on this. As rgvcam said , at this price point and the lack of complaints (if any besides users on this forum?) I would not think they will spend more time and $$ to try to improve the PVR. If anything, they will just release a new product.

As rgvcam knows, I tired to contacted Aiptek Taiwan about the image quality issue. I even sent them a sample but again they said it was a moire effect that cannot be fixed. Even though this is my first hybrid camera, there seems to be a consensus
that certain Aiptek models do not have this problem as severe as the PVR.

I understand that this is basically a entry level camera (I also have a mini dv cam) but if the PVR can be improved with newer firmware, I would like to think that Aiptek would do this.

I still have my fingers cross that maybe they will eventually come out with new firmware for the PVR. Has anybody else here with a PVR try to contact Aiptek about the image quality issue? Maybe they can chime in and let us know what kind of reply they got from Aiptek.

gdo
gdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:42 PM   #3

can you gues what camera lens this was filmed on? give you a hint HDTV on channal 13 the smart travel show, yes with the Aiptek MPVR and look at the bldgs

never dissagreeing, but understanding

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:58 AM   #4

gdo wrote:
Quote:
I tend to agree that Aiptek is probably going to ignore any complaints about image quality on this. As rgvcam said , at this price point and the lack of complaints (if any besides users on this forum?) I would not think they will spend more time and $$ to try to improve the PVR. If anything, they will just release a new product.

As rgvcam knows, I tired to contacted Aiptek Taiwan about the image quality issue. I even sent them a sample but again they said it was a moire effect that cannot be fixed. Even though this is my first hybrid camera, there seems to be a consensus
that certain Aiptek models do not have this problem as severe as the PVR.

I understand that this is basically a entry level camera (I also have a mini dv cam) but if the PVR can be improved with newer firmware, I would like to think that Aiptek would do this.

I still have my fingers cross that maybe they will eventually come out with new firmware for the PVR. Has anybody else here with a PVR try to contact Aiptek about the image quality issue? Maybe they can chime in and let us know what kind of reply they got from Aiptek.

gdo

The problem is, that if this is a persons first hybrid camcorder, then they may assume that this is to be expected from a device in this price range. It is usually only those of us who have had previous models, that notice something is not quite right. Even then it was fishycomics that noticed it first in one of my videos.

When you go to describe the effect, it sounds at first very like the usual moire effect, that you see now and then, even on other MPEG4 cameras, when in reality it is much worse than that. My other MPEG4 devices didn't suffer from it that dramatically.

The best way, is for people to actually send example videos to Aiptek where it is most pronounced as we have done. That way, they can see it's not just a misinterpretation of the moire effect. My best examples were the house and the yellow school bus grill that I posted here a while back. That level of effect is not acceptable.

The guy at Aiptek USA seemed to agree with me that there is a problem and had sent a report to Taiwan but so far got no response. Their silence says more to me than their response in this case.

Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:38 PM   #5

the Avenger

Steed is taking off mrs. peal's red boots , and replacing with black

the Sofa she is on has the same effect?

Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:51 AM   #6

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
the Avenger

Steed is taaking off mrs. peal's red boots , and replacingwith black

the Sofa she is on ha thesame effect?

Is there supposed to be a sample video or link here?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:27 AM   #7

not going to bother filming a show, a major motion picture will show the same effect.

I also noticed this on other shows as well with a plaid or lined shirt. so. I am pointing out, that the moire effect , can happen to anyone, any company any price range model.

I believe our Aiptek Hybrid camera must:

1 be a certain distance

2 height

3 light

4 building , structures, vertical, and horazontal lines

all in order to get this effect showing

Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:45 PM   #8

I sent the following text via email to my contact at Aiptek:

Is the problem with the PVR unique to the PVR, or did you find in your testing that other models suffered from it to the same extent too? I am just trying to get a little perspective on this.

and his response was:

The model MPVR does not seem to have the same problem.

So It would seem to confirm that the PVR does have a real problem that Taiwan are in no hurry to address at the moment.