Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1

I finally got a response from Taiwan after they looked at my sample videos and here is the response below. He is basically admitting it is a hardware problem (and in essence a design fault). This would explain the lack of any firmware update since if it was software, then they would most likely have had a fix by now.

So the moral of the story is, don't buy the Aiptek PVR if you can possibly avoid it, since there are plenty of other better models on the market.

I am considering the case closed on this device and will enjoy my Sanyo.

Dear Sir
Thanks for your email.
This is still the moiré phenomenon .
Here is the reference for you.
http://www.wfu.edu/%7Ematthews/misc/DigPhotog/alias/
I afraid that is the hardware problem.
Of course Sanyo Xacti C40 is better than ours.
But if you check the specification of Sanyo Xacti C40 and PVR 8800.
You can find the specification about this two DV are very big different.
Especially the sensor part.
Hence Sanyo Xacti C40 is expensive a lot than PVR 8800.
About the video quality we will try our best to improve it in the future.
No matter in hardware or software.
Thank you ~
Darren Ku
Customer Support Dept.
AIPTEK Pacific Inc.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Here is the response to my reply email.

Thank you for your reply, but how do you explain that the MPVR and other Aiptek models don't seem to suffer from this to the same extent as the PVR? Does this mean that the PVR has a design fault?

The PVR and MPVR or other model , they all used different lens and sensor ,
Every sensor and lens have different characteristic .
Because of that , it will cause different result when you take a snap or record a video.
And actually that is not a design fault.
It's a physical phenomenon .
It's depended the background when you recorded .
That ‘s why I gave you the reference of moiré.
Of course we can solve this problem through the hardware.
That's what we trying to do in the future.
Thank you for point out the phenomenon for us.
We'll try to make it better.
Darren Ku
Customer Support Dept.
AIPTEK Pacific Inc.

So make of this, what you will...

Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:29 PM   #3

One thing that's pretty clear is that they are not offering to do anything about your camera.

This would be a good time to mention that of the 8 or so hybrids I've had, the only one that was an Aiptek, was also the one that had by far the most problems. Hanging, and corrupting videos fairly regularly.

I did find that if I phoned Aiptek in California, there was a fellow there who was very helpful.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:38 AM   #4

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
One thing that's pretty clear is that they are not offering to do anything about your camera.

This would be a good time to mention that of the 8 or so hybrids I've had, the only one that was an Aiptek, was also the one that had by far the most problems. Hanging, and corrupting videos fairly regularly.

I did find that if I phoned Aiptek in California, there was a fellow there who was very helpful.

Yes, it does smack of the "oh well we made a dud but maybe we'll do better next time" attitude and I still don't find their moire explanation acceptable.

As to Aiptek USA, I have to say that the initial guy I would always seem to get initially was rude and nonchalant. Finally I got the same guy as fishycomics who was much more helpful but I get the feeling he has his hands pretty much tied behind his back with regards to Taiwan as well.

I have since emailed him, asking if I could exchange my device for an MPVR. I had hinted about this before and got little response, but then I thought it was because they were going to see if it could be fixed by software.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:14 PM   #5
gdo

Well, I think this pretty much sum it up. I was hoping that they would try to resolve the issue but it looks like if anything, they will just release a new product with the improvements.

The email indicates that this a hardware problem. I don't know anything about
the transitioning between a still and moving video but wouldn't you think the still pictures would have a similar issue? The stills shots from my PVR are pretty good for what it is. If it's a hardware issue, then I would think that the chip for video capture is at fault? At least now we finally have a answer about the PVR video issue.

gdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 2:46 PM   #6

gdo wrote:
Quote:
Well, I think this pretty much sum it up. I was hoping that they would try to resolve the issue but it looks like if anything, they will just release a new product with the improvements.

The email indicates that this a hardware problem. I don't know anything about
the transitioning between a still and moving video but wouldn't you think the still pictures would have a similar issue? The stills shots from my PVR are pretty good for what it is. If it's a hardware issue, then I would think that the chip for video capture is at fault? At least now we finally have a answer about the PVR video issue.
Good point. I resent the results of my tests to Taiwan to see what reply I get. May as well get maximum mileage out of this, eh? It may well be that the hardware is not capable of resampling fast enough, so they do a basic resizing. Of course it still could be a problem with the sensor and associated hardware that just happens to give the same effect.

Anyway it looks like I am finally getting to exchange it with an MPVR. I was thinking of the MPVR+ but my contact at Aiptek said it's the same hardware as the PVR just in a silver casing so I don't want to go down that road again. As I only intend to use it for a cheap video camera, whether it's 3MP or 5MP is irrelavent to me and after all I already have a 4MP Sanyo that within it's own limitations takes great video.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:40 PM   #7
gdo

Yes, I think so. If they are going to call it a hardware limitation, then maybe they can give us a explanation on why the still pictures come out fine but the video is less than desirable. From the link that Aiptek Taiwan sends about the "moiré phenomenon",
it seems like that all the reference used on their link are referencing a still picture.

So Aiptek is willing to swap your PVR to a MPVR? That's interesting that they are willing to do this for you. Are they doing this and calling it a "defective unit" or
as "customer satisfaction"?

I know this is a entry level budget hybrid camera for the PC and shouldn't expect too much for them, but I feel that if any improvements can be made via software (firmware), I expect Aiptek to try to accomplish this.

What it sounds like is they have abandon the PVR issues and are going to make the improvements and release them on a new product/model.

Let us know if/when you hear back from Taiwan.

Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:58 PM   #8

They are probably going to exchange it more as satisfaction in my case I suspect. There doesn't seem to have been a lot of people complaining over it, so I suspect they were just going to let the PVR reach the end of it's life cycle, although even that is suspect since they already have newer models and yet the PVR is still on sale. I suspect until they get a barrage of complaints, it will most likely remain that way.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:59 PM   #9

Out of interest, if you want to see how the Sanyo C40 looks and sounds, download this sample video here:

http://dcexp.com/albums/SanyoC40/StreetMusic.mp4

I took this of some Street Musicians while in UK. They were playing music typically associated with South America.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:25 PM   #10
gdo

Looks good! Way better than any "best" shot from a PVR. One other thing I recall, before giving this a rest, I recall fishycomic was able to load the PVR firmware on the MPVR on one of his post. According the his report, he indicated he encounter "grainy video like the PVR" after doing the upgrade. Of course running a firmware that was not design for the specific hybrid will probably not stand up as a valid argument but it is interesting that he notice the "grainy video" after loading the PVR firmware to the MPVR. This to me is another indication that the firmware can/may improve the PVR video.