Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:28 PM   #1

Guy's

I've been beating my head on the desk trying to work out a good way of getting video footage from one of my RC airplane models.

I've tried a Sony CCD camera and 2.4G TX with mixed results. Good enough video quality but poor distance to the RX station (me). I've given up on that idea for now.

I've been looking at the Aiptek range of PVR's. Then I found this TVNOW thing too.

OK, in your opinions. Would a MPVR of the likes of Aiptek midrange (under $100US) be good enough to do aerial video (shutter speeds etc) or maybe the Tiger TVNOW box could couple to my Sony CCD for a better image ?

Any thoughts ?

One thing I can't find is what actual resolution the TVNOW records in and if you can actually extract the video and play it on a PC afterwards.

Martin.
Adelaide, Australia.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/webspac...ugi/index.html
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:09 PM   #2

So far as I know, various RC people have been hacking hybrid cameras ever since they came out to use them on rc airplanes. Basically they have to rig up a way to power the cameras on and off, trigger the shutter, and provide a power supply so they can eliminate the weight of the battery.

This has been mentioned before on this forum, but it might take some creative searching to find the posts, either here, or on the RC forums.

So it's being done. Whether it would meet your needs for image quality and ease of installation is another question.

The new ATC-2000 helmet cam would be another option. With a 2Gb memory card, it will shoot 640x480 video at 30fps for one hour.

I looked up the Tiger TVNOW, and to use it, you'd also need a spycam lens unit to feed a video signal to it. The spycam would need another battery, plus you'd need switches for both. Sounds like a lot of hassle to end up with something equivalent to the helmet cam.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:50 PM   #3

Thanks,

The TVNOW box might be OK as I have the spy cam already (a better Sony CCD one), but it remains unclear to me if you can get the video off from it and use it elsewhere or if it's only playable on the TVNOW unit. Size of the units is not a problem.

My models are big enough to take the whole unhacked PVR so I'm hoping the PVR's will record without a finger on the button all the time ?

I've done some airborne picture work already, I flew my whole Sony Cybershot and used the self timer. Worked fine.

I saw the posted footage from a Aiptek IS-DV on YouTube, it didn't look very good to me. Is that typical or thebest of what can be expected from a 5Mp MPVR ?

Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:26 AM   #4

mr. Sneeze. sometimes doing a search will help out and, i just yahoo'ed a few using the keyword MPVr for rc plane

the Aiptek Pencam is the most common used camcorder, very easy to modify

here are a few that I taken time to find.

the mustek dv series is the orginal model like the tiger electronics one, will do the same.

reading the rc one they hit record and then fly, some place a extra servo in there or wireless d evice.

hope this helps out. just take a look how the person attached their hybrid

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=126651

visit this site clcik me

1 rc site thought I posted to a topic here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...780&page=2

1here is a link and a vid is in there.

http://www.acesim.com/rc/lab/lab.html

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:51 AM   #5

I am assuming that you mean this device?

I bought one of these briefly from Walmart here where they sell for $25. I had intended to get something cheap for my 18 month old son to watch during our flight to the UK this Xmas.

As expected, given the $25 price, the resolution of the LCD screen is terrible but of course you are only looking to use it as a recording device. Even so, I cannot imagine it will record at the same resolution or quality as a decent Hybrid since it only needs to display on a low resolution LCD. It stores up to 1 hour of video in just 128MB and still a good 30 minutes in even the 'high' quality mode, so you can see the quality isn't going to be good.

Also bizarrely it only likes high speed SD cards and won't work with regular SD cards. There is no video output as it doesn't need one since the purpose of this device is to record and playback on the LCD. It only has headphone output.

The video format is proprietry as far as I can tell so until someone hacks it, I wouldn't bother with it. The other problem I can see, is that this is quite a bulky device.

Needless to say, I took mine back and used my Pocket PC with it's extended battery for the purpose I intended originally for this device!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:21 PM   #6

Thanks, that puts a nail in the TVNOW box idea. Thanks for the info.

I found a HDD pocket Video recorder on Ebay but it's like $150 with shipping and is minus the HDD required....

The search continues.

Yep, I'll go check the RC website stuff. I had seen the pencam stuff before but not MPVR. I'm a member of both but it never occured to search there.... Can't be perfect :-)

The footage from the Aiptek unit above looks fine for my use but the one fromthe MPVR model on RCgroups looks quite poor...... Hmmm

Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:37 PM   #7

ha ha ha.

I own a rc truck, and well

1 site a guy cyber sunglasses his flight and sounded like he crashed, butt he camera footage surived.

2nd site shows a neat recorder about a palm size but should cost a hefty buck fifty or more.

hope they helped out
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:10 AM   #8

I'm now looking for an Aiptek on Ebay or elsewhere. Missed a bargain one two days back that would have done for me. If anyone see's a bargain elsewhere let me know. I'm in Oz, our Target etc don't seem to advertise them.

One question for the forum. Some Aipteks 'seem' to infer you can record from TV/VCR (any analogue source). Is that true for all models ?

On Ebay, the Aiptek look-a-likes seem to say nothing about a line-in record option.
Martin