Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:14 PM   #1

I was the proud owner of a MPVR last year. I loved the thing until it got stolen. I build wildlife video trail cameras using Sony camcorders and I control it using a custom lanc controller board I designed. However, due to the price of the Sony Lanc camcorders now and their size, I was wanting to switch to a flash based camcorder, which is the reason I originally bought the MPVR. I was going to use a remote B/W ccd camera connected to the AV/In of the MPVR and then "tap" into the interal switches of the MPVR to control the recording functiions.

I was able to build a system around the MPVR and made it so I could unplug it from my system and use it by itself (as it was intended). I may go back to using the MPVR, however, before I do, I wanted to ask you guys if you maybe knew of a hybrid which had Av/in and a faster startup time. The only problem with the MPVR was that when I detected motion from a motion sensor, I would power the MPVR up. It took about 4-5 seconds for the camera to powerup and go through the startup splash screen. Then I was able to make it start reccording. I would LOVE to find a hybrid with av/in that had a faster startup time. Would be ideal if it would start up and 1 or 2 seconds later allow the user to start recording throught the av/in. I see the Digilife has a few models that have av/in. Anyone have experience with the startup time for it? Or ar there other Hybrids I should look at? Thanks and I love your site!

jaggermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:29 AM   #2

excellent question

I say it is more like 6-8 secs and antoher few with the av input for the MPVr

it also has the start up to turn of but guess what it is the same start up without seeing the splash screen sorry:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:36 PM   #3

Some of the hybrids have motion detection. This feature is noted in the Hybrid List (marked with an "x"). I have a Digilife DDV-5120A that has this feature, and it actually works.

The camera sits there comparing the information being scanned from the sensor. If the frames remain the same, it does nothing. If it detects changed pixels, it starts recording. When the changes stop happening, it stops recording and waits until it detects movement again.

You could set the camera up, and leave it in standby mode. If it detects something moving, it starts video recording in 1-2 seconds. It records for a few seconds after motion stops.

This camera also has a remote control, good to about 15' outdoors, if that's any use to you, and even a video-in port if you choose to use a remote lens. Unfortunately the remote control does not have the ability to power the camera on and off.

The only problem would be battery life. You could replace the NP-60 battery with a dummy wired through to a larger power supply. I think the camera will work if it's powered through the USB port, so you could run a cable to a computer for power. I don't know the standby time for this camera with the original NP-60, but I suspect it's at least 2 hours.

Another approach would be to get a dsc such as the Samsung I6 or NV series and use radio controlled relays to power them on and control the video. They have a 2-second cold-startup time.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:18 PM   #4

Yea, i was afraid that the stratup times from a cold powerup would be high. I am part of a group of camera hobbiest/hackers at http://www.hagshouse.com. There are a bunch of members who spend a ton of development time in trying out and testing cameras and such for use in surveillance and trail cameras. We have the dsc cameras pretty much figured out and have many favorites that work well, but I want to start using mpeg4 based DV video cameras because motion jpeg used in most cameras just burn up to much memory. That, and I want to use a lower light Exview camera as the recording camera instead of the built incamera (which iswhy I need av/in).

I just have not found the right DV video camerayet. The MPVR is close, but I am hoping to find one with a 2-3 second (or faster) recording time from a cold power up. We leave our cameras out in the field for months sometimes and leaving the camera always on just would not work. I like the motion detection built in but I dont know how well it would work because of the power draw and wind blowing trees would set it off. Maybe aiptek, Mustek, or some of the other cameras makers out there will one day work on a camera which allows you to turn off the splash screen aw well as allowing for remote hardwire control insteal of hacking it or using the remote! :idea:. If they did, they would sell a TON of them for people using them in the surveillance market. thanks for the reply guys. Guess I am gonna have to keep looking for the perfect DV camera for my appication :?

Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:32 PM   #5

The statup screen can be switched off for the MPVR. I have a Aiptek PDVR which is the version of the MPVR sold through Circuit City. There is an option in the setup menu called "Start Movie". If you turn this off the initial Startup Movie is not displayed and it goes right into camera mode.

I just timed my camera and it starts up in about 4 sec. with the movie OFF and within about 6 sec with the move ON.

WoodHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:01 PM   #6

I think my original MPVR seemed to have abouta 6 second startup, probably because the movie intro was on. 4 seconds is sounding much better. I set my wildlife cameras up along trails a lot, and my biggest concern is that once motion is detected (I use a PIR based controller board) , that the animal will walk by the camera before the camera can start to record. But at 4 seconds, ,I can just set it back a little further off the trail and hope its still in frame by the time it starts recording.

I may go out and buy another MPVR. originalwas stolen soI need to buy another. It was stolen along with my cell phone and I was more upset about the MPVR getting stolen than the camera! Was just wanting some feedback as to any comparisons others might have with similar cameras. I really liked the MPVR and bought it after reading reveiws on this site. Its a great camera. But I see now a few of you are using theSVP HDDV-8800 as well. Cost a bit more, but it seems like a nice camera. Anyone have any ideas on the startup time for it? It seems like it may have better resolutioin and a bigger screen from what I see from some of the posts here.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:01 PM   #7

Strange, eveytime I hit "send" I double post for some reason :?
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:31 PM   #8

Jaggermax,

Since you do not plan on using the camera sensor to capture video, how about using a PVR to record the video?:?

You'd still have to hack into the controls or remote and would probably still have aslow cold start up time.:sad:
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:41 PM   #9

Yea, thats what I have been doing. I have a few Flash based PVRs which have the av/in port and the only problem again is startup time. All take at least 5 seconds to powerup and start recording. Plus, soon as I find one that I like, they quit making them! PVRs come and guy and the life of them from the manufactuere is quite short.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:59 PM   #10

Probably just about anything is available on eBay for a while at least.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote